Comments on Profile Post by R.Graves

1. SquiglyContiello
    SquiglyContiello
    You call those weebs.
    Feb 13, 2018 at 10:58 AM
  2. Walpknut
    Walpknut
    THere are some good english dubs (like FMA) but american Dubs, even today, are still censored and in some cases with modern ones, even heavily politicized (the infamous Gamergate line in Prison School) and thus you end up watching a watered down version of the series.
    Feb 13, 2018 at 2:54 PM
  3. Arnust
    Arnust
    Or the dub is literally just inferior to the original because 98% the time they just get a cartoon VA team you've heard a billion times already and call it a day, with the half assed-ness it ensues, not even accounting for the lost in delivery.
    Feb 13, 2018 at 5:14 PM
  4. Walpknut
    Walpknut
    The AoT dub was pretty bad from what I watched. Eren'sVA was just bad and Armin's VA screams like a chicken.
    Feb 13, 2018 at 5:24 PM
  5. R.Graves
    R.Graves
    AoT dub bad? Okay lol.
    Feb 14, 2018 at 1:21 AM
  6. Walpknut
    Walpknut
    They literally change entire conversations, which make in turn Eren sound much much whinier than in the original. That's a bad translation in any book.
    Feb 14, 2018 at 1:38 AM
  7. R.Graves
    R.Graves
    I don't care about the translation being 100% accurate. The VA do a good job and it tells the story well. *shrug*
    Feb 14, 2018 at 2:49 AM
  8. Walpknut
    Walpknut
    If it changes characterization and ruins the tone then it's not telling the story well.
    Feb 14, 2018 at 3:12 AM
  9. zegh8578
    zegh8578
    stupid anime kids. My mind went to dubbed movies. Actors dubbed by dumbass Germans and shit. Then I had to remind myself that you buncha dumbfucks only ever talk about anime.
    Feb 14, 2018 at 3:16 AM
    SquiglyContiello likes this.
  10. R.Graves
    R.Graves
    @Walpknut what's your opinion on the English dub of one piece? (Funimation dub ofc)
    Feb 14, 2018 at 3:17 AM
  11. Walpknut
    Feb 14, 2018 at 3:17 AM
  12. Walpknut
    Walpknut
    I've never heard the dub for One Piece.
    An example of a good Dub is FMA, which while taking some liberties with the script still delivers the same tone of the original and has great performances to booth.
    Feb 14, 2018 at 3:18 AM
  13. R.Graves
    R.Graves
    I thought the death note dub was good. Although the chip meme has to Be a result of a wierd translation right?
    Feb 14, 2018 at 3:20 AM
  14. Walpknut
    Walpknut
    Oh no, the chip started from the Japanese version. Death Note is just weirdly melodramatic like that. I haven't watched the englis hdub of Death Note, but the Latin American one was exceptional as they took a full year to make it.
    Feb 14, 2018 at 3:22 AM
  15. R.Graves
    R.Graves
    Holy shit I don't know if it's better or worse that it was intentional XD
    Feb 14, 2018 at 3:23 AM
  16. Walpknut
  17. R.Graves
    R.Graves
    It's far more laughable in English. The Japanese VA seemed waaaaay more chill when delivering that line.
    Feb 14, 2018 at 3:28 AM
  18. Walpknut
    Walpknut
    That's what I am saying, they change characterization entirely without a care. I rather just have the original with subs if the translation is gonna do stuff like that.
    Feb 14, 2018 at 3:30 AM
  19. R.Graves
    R.Graves
    It doesn't bother me at all. Although they do stuff like that to keep the audio lip synced to the characters. Japanese animation doesn't really do that in the first place so changes are made. In fact, that's why the infamous over 9000 line in dbz is like that because vegeta mouth stays open so long...
    Feb 14, 2018 at 3:53 AM
  20. Walpknut
    Walpknut
    So they sacrifice actual story and tone for lip flaps. Sounds like a really stupid exchange to me.
    Feb 14, 2018 at 3:55 AM
  21. R.Graves
    R.Graves
    Yeah well Idk but if the dialogue wasn't lip synced it would bug the ever loving piss out if me. My my how different our cultures are XD.
    Feb 14, 2018 at 3:57 AM
  22. Walpknut
    Walpknut
    The lip flap excuse is specially nonsensical in that Death Note scene where all the dialogue is an internal monologue, thus there are no lip flaps to match to.
    Feb 14, 2018 at 3:58 AM
  23. R.Graves
    R.Graves
    A true mystery of our time.
    Feb 14, 2018 at 3:59 AM
  24. Walpknut
    Walpknut
    American dubs are just bad as a general rule, you don't realize because you avoid subs.
    Feb 14, 2018 at 4:00 AM
  25. R.Graves
    R.Graves
    I think I can tell when something is bad despite my lack of outside influence. I'm gonna say it, the subs not dubs people don't like dubs because it's different.
    Feb 14, 2018 at 4:09 AM
  26. Walpknut
    Walpknut
    Or because they are bad for the most part? I can recognize the FMA dub as great, and I can also identify the AoT dub as terrible. Maybe you only think people dislike them "because it's different" because you lack perspective?
    Feb 14, 2018 at 4:15 AM
    Arnust likes this.
  27. R.Graves
    R.Graves
    I can admit I lack perspective but I don't watch a lot of Japanese cartoons. Still, I have faith in my ability to distinguish bad from good. With or without outside influences.
    Feb 14, 2018 at 4:24 AM
  28. Arnust
    Arnust
    >24 alerts
    The fuck?
    Feb 14, 2018 at 8:08 AM
    SquiglyContiello likes this.
  29. Walpknut
    Walpknut
    Watashi wa Potetochippu o totte, Taberu.
    Feb 14, 2018 at 11:06 PM