☢ A.T.O.M ☢ Classic Fallout like game in 3D

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by reev4eg, Jan 9, 2016.

1. reev4eg

reev4eg First time out of the vault

Oct 8, 2015
    thanks bro :)

• [Like] [Like] x 2
  2. Makta

Makta The DICKtator

Jul 29, 2010
    Just got an email from steam that the game is out. Forgot all about it so guess i'll have to wait a month before i can play it. Ohh well. More time to get some reviews going :)

3. Proletären

Proletären Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Mar 15, 2012
    Yep! The early access is out on steam!

They've also put a trailer up!

4. Makta

Makta The DICKtator

Jul 29, 2010
    If only i had less than 2 hours on at least 1 of the games i bought.. Ohh well :)

5. reev4eg

Oct 8, 2015
    • [Like] [Like] x 4
  6. Proletären

Mar 15, 2012
    Front page?

7. reev4eg

Oct 8, 2015
    Is it real?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  8. Alphons

Alphons National Beholder

Aug 9, 2017
    How big ATOM is planned?

9. Proletären

Mar 15, 2012
    Some first impressions:

10. Proletären

Mar 15, 2012
    So is anyone playing the beta? Would be great with a nma perspective!

11. Proletären

Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  12. Gonzalez

Gonzalez Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Aug 21, 2004
    I'm playing the beta. Enjoying the game so far. Do you know the name of the music from the record players in the bunker?

EDIT:

Found them both on my own! Anyway, here they are if anyone is curious.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    • [Like] [Like] x 2
  13. Proletären

Mar 15, 2012
    The new update is quite ambitious! Maybe some NMA:er could write a preview?

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  14. Proletären

Mar 15, 2012
    Showcased on youtube by LadyLilia. Looks quite promising I would say. I really hope they accomplish that perfect blend of Stalker and Fallout.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  15. Proletären

Mar 15, 2012
    And another playthrough:

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  16. Proletären

Mar 15, 2012
    A new big update is out:

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  17. Proletären

Mar 15, 2012
    New update out!

Here's the changelog:

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  18. Proletären

Mar 15, 2012
    A user on RPG Codex just posted this, it's his impressions of the game. There are some serious deviations from the Fallout formula in there. Levelscaling and a perk tree. This would be of great concern to NMA. It's not to late to change this!

19. SquiglyContiello

SquiglyContiello It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jan 3, 2018
    That decreased my already low thoughts of the game.
    Really wish lvl scaling was removed, it really breaks the feel of playing in a living world.Perk Tree also doesnt make sense.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  20. Mr Fish

Mr Fish ...I Remember...

Sep 11, 2010
    Yeah the lvl scaling is a complete deal breaker for me. I hate it. I don't want some power leveling super-demi-god by the end either to the point that anything and everything is a cakewalk either. I prefer a combat system where there is a tier system and all but someone with a knife can still fucking stab me unless I'm wearing a tank like armor like Power Armor. Where health and damage doesn't really increase astronomically after 20 levels but rather that it is about what gear you have and how you employ tactics against numerous foes with more varied weapon arsenals as you level up but if you underestimate a bunch of low level gangbangers with SMGs then they're going to rip you to shreds.

I don't like level scaling and I don't like power fantasies that go too far either. And while I rarely see the kinda system I like I'm far more tolerable of "power fantasy" than I am level scaling.

I'm more tolerable of perk trees than level scaling but it's not a selling point for me. It's just something I'll tolerate. A perk/talent/whatever system where you're free to choose the perks you meet the criteria for is inherently superior to a role-playing experience than a x-tree is.

I don't like the idea of the Stronghold. For a game to do that kinda thing well it needs to be a primary focal point for the rest of the game. Otherwise it is just "kinda there".

So, yeah, if it is early on enough to change things I'd suggest scrapping the perk tree completely and bring in free-choice perks with stat/skill requirements.

I'd also suggest just scrapping the stronghold thing completely instead of wasting any more time on it. I know that might seem a bit harsh considering they've already put time into it but they need to ask themselves if the end result is going to be worth it or if it is just spreading their development time and resources thin. Just because you want to have every idea under the sun in a game doesn't mean you have the time or resources to make them worthwhile ideas. And I'd save that idea for a sequel. Focus on what is important. A stronghold system isn't important unless you make it important. So is it? Does it tie into the main story heavily? Is it a necessity to build up your own personal faction for a war later on which will be sadistically difficult if you did not spend any time building an army? If it isn't important and it is just a side-feature then just scrap it. I know it sucks to scrap something you've worked hard on but it's better to cut out something "meh" than to have it potentially taint the rest of the product. AND it frees up your time to develop other aspects of the game... Such as:

Rebalance the game. Fuck level scaling. It is fucking annoying when you just wanna get something done and you get interrupted by early game enemies that are tedious to take care of. And there is no sense of reward either with level scaling. I don't know if this is in the game but I'd also strongly advocate against randomized loot and leveled loot. It's awesome when you find a great weapon or armor in a game with hand placed items as you feel rewarded for either picking the stats/skills that allowed you to get access to the item or because you took the time to explore carefully. With enemies it never feels like you grow as a character if they're always on par with you. With shops... I mean, remember the first time you got to a trader in San Francisco in Fallout 2 and saw that amazing weapons they sold? I was practically salivating at what awesome gear was for sale until I was left breathless at the prices. You don't get experiences like this in a level-scaled system.

Not every game has to be Fallout. But Fallout taught some very very valuable lessons in how to craft a great roleplaying game. Learn from it.

• [Like] [Like] x 8