Atomic Society: Act as judge and lawmaker of your own post-apocalyptic city

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by ScottFarRoad, Feb 27, 2016.

1. ScottFarRoad

ScottFarRoad First time out of the vault

Feb 27, 2016
    Atomic Society is a city-building game that lets you run society the way you want it.

The game has been playable by the public for most of 2016 and hundreds of people have tried it so far. The game is currently in its pre-alpha phase so it's only for the adventurous. You can try the pre-alpha here if you fancy it.

The game been updated on a regular basis with new content and features. For example, we recently just patched in full saving and loading support, a plague system to do with corpses, and a new building to burn the dead in, and various gameplay tweaks.

We're coming soon to Steam, so here's our upcoming store page if you want a simple place to track updates. We were Greenlit a while back.

The core features of the game are (bearing in mind its early days):
    • Moral Choice System lets you act as lawmaker. Pick solutions ranging from execution, to prison, to actually encouraging an act.
    • Be a lenient leader or a dictator with an iron fist. Roleplay and see what happens to your society. Different challenges for different play-styles.
    • High degree of unpredictability in the people you govern, making every town different, with different social problems.
    • Control your own character, perform optional tasks around your town, explore it in third-person. Even raise a family.
    • Overcome the challenges of starvation, thirst, plagues, and new immigrants.
    • Construct a wide range of structures as you solve the puzzle of how to make the perfect town and keep it growing.
    • Wide range of environments: bleak deserts to lush forests and icy mountains.
    • Haunting post-apocalyptic atmosphere and soundtrack immerses you a bleak post-apocalyptic world.

The game is deeply influenced by early Fallout games, hence me posting here in the first place. I suppose you could say it's a bit like trying to mix the moral dilemmas of early Fallout games with a city-building game. What if your character was not just a man/woman but an entire village. There's no magic karma number, just the karma of choosing to be a tyrant or not.

If you have any questions or first impressions of the game, I’m happy to hear them.

Here's the game's website, you'll find its own forum there with posts/reviews from existing players. The latest dev blog (Dec 2016 at time of writing) covers the year in review, including how our amazingly failed Kickstarter (O.o) kind of helped us in the end.

Best wishes,

Scott

Some Screenshots of the Early Pre-Alpha:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    • [Like] [Like] x 6
  2. valcik

valcik So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Dec 20, 2008
    Very interesting concept, I'm hyped! Let me ask one thing - how you'll distribute your game? Any DRM? Would be GoG version available for digital distribution, or just STEAM mentioned above? Can't find it on your KS page.

3. ScottFarRoad

Feb 27, 2016
    Thanks! Steam to start out with, and then we'll move to other stores like GOG as soon as we can. :-)

4. Ragemage

Ragemage Wept for Zion

Feb 20, 2016
    Well, the game certainly looks interesting. I do like the look of all the different choices you can make. I do have a few questions though when it comes to the game:

1. How long could a typical game session last? I'm assuming it can simply go on forever, but how long would it take, on average, to get to what would feel like that perfect utopia/dystopia?

2. Though in the video trailer for the game you kept mentioning all the different choices, the only example you really gave, about the murderer, seemed more morally ambiguous than tipping the scale of good or evil. Considering we can also run something akin to a dictatorship or a "perfect" society, I was wondering if you could give an example of a more extreme moral choice? Something that would definitely lean your civilization towards a good or evil path, if any choices like this exist.

3. How big is the building range in the game, if there's anything you can think to compare it to? Can you make multiple towns in a single run or are you limited to one town/city per play?

5. ScottFarRoad

Feb 27, 2016
    Great questions, thanks. :-D

1. I would think 8-10 hours per city, with lots of replay value. There is so much randomness and so many moral choices it's the kind of game you'll want to play again to see what happens when you choose different laws, etc. And the citizens behave so randomly each time that it will be entertaining. Not to mention mastering how to create the most efficient, workable post-apocalyptic city is going to take a while. Aiming for 20hrs value minimum.

2. The game itself is very morally ambiguous. It's down to you to decide what is right and wrong, what a dictatorship is and what a perfect society is (and if there is any difference between the 2?). I hope it's more about discovery. We started with murder because it's black and white but issues such as terminal illness - radioactive citizens are dying in pain, but they serve such a useful function in society and have families who love them, do you let them commit suicide? The game won't give you karma either way, but your society will change depending on what you select.

3. There are 34 buildings to make and you have to create a home for 500 citizens to complete the game (the minimum for genetic variety). Have you played Banished, that kind of scale. Though 500 people doesn't sound a lot, creating all the infrastructure - food, water, etc - means you end up with a pretty big Fallout style town.

6. The Vault Dweller

The Vault Dweller always looking for water.

Aug 24, 2004
    Good idea and impressive work so far! You came to a wise place to spread it too. I'll probably fund this.

7. SuAside

SuAside Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Admin

May 27, 2004
    Pretty ambitious for the small (relatively unexperienced) team you have, but I'm willing to give you guys a chance. A gamble with £10 isn't a huge gamble and maybe something good will come of it.

That said, the technical challenges are probably not the biggest issue here. It's going to take a lot of work to make sure all the options given feel "right" and allow the player to do what he'd want to do. The game will crumble if the choices are too limited.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  8. Dr Fallout

Dr Fallout Centurion

Aug 17, 2015
    Looks great! And I love the art style. Can't wait to see it happening!

9. SuAside

SuAside Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Admin

May 27, 2004
    It's dead, Jim.

But also:

10. ScottFarRoad

Feb 27, 2016
    Never listen to Bones. :drunk:

The game, (now currently 8 months into its pre-alpha period with the public and updated several times), is going strong. I've updated the first post with the latest progress.

11. lolpop109

lolpop109 Water Chip? Been There, Done That
    Modder

Jul 14, 2016
    Cool looks good. Won't be purchasing the game yet but in a few months will probably get this. Looks decent in alot of way just keep on working and improving

12. Proletären

Proletären Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Mar 15, 2012