Can you really call yourself a Fallout fan if you love Fallout 4, honestly?

Discussion in 'Fallout 4' started by HarkonFourth, May 30, 2018.

1. R.Graves

R.Graves Confirmed Retard

Apr 21, 2016
    Nah. What you like is subjective. But you can't say "I think fallout 4 is well written" and not be wrong. Because quality itself is not subjective. This ain't hard.
    Yeah that would explain why they moved forward with titles like "fallout 3" and "fallout 4" like they're sequels or something.
    It is explicitly connected to fallout 3 with dialogue with Veronica and arcade.

2. Atomic_Spawned

Atomic_Spawned Radiation-soaked, needs a towel.

May 7, 2019
    So, I'm not telling you you're wrong. There is no right or wrong when it comes to subjective stuff like this. I get you love the older ones and New Vegas because they stick to the story you liked. But I propose an idea. Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 are spinoffs, not really designed to be connected to the others.

Here's my source for that argument.
    http://tagaziel.blogspot.com/2012/01/sequel-vs-spinoff.html

3. R.Graves

Apr 21, 2016
    Which means saying it's objectively good for mindless fun is wrong. On the same note everyone who plays this game is going to experience objectively bad writing, objectively sub par shooting, and an objectively shallow Gameworld. These things are bad. That's fact. The subjective part is whether or not you care.

4. Norzan

Norzan Vault Senior Citizen

Apr 7, 2017
    A spinoff with a number after the name of the franchise. Nope, they are sequels and terrible ones at that. They are not spinoffs. New Vegas can actually be considered a spinoff due to lack of a number, but it's the one that is most true to the first two.

This man also linked an argument from Tagz, resident Bethesda white knight on Redditt. Truly helps your argument.

5. Atomic_Spawned

May 7, 2019
    So, if I were to say Fallout 1 were poorly written, is that subjective too? You keep acting like your opinion is fact, when in reality it's not. If I like it, I think it's good, okay. But that's no reason for you to act like something is bad, no two ways about it, never ever changeable, goodbye. There are other people out here whose ideas differ from yours. I can respect that you hate them. I can't respect you telling me that they are definitively bad.

6. R.Graves

Apr 21, 2016
    It's not subjective.
    No I like them because they're good games.
    Except they're very clearly billed as sequels and spinoffs are expected to maintain continuity just as actual sequels are.

7. TheOtherManInTheRoom

TheOtherManInTheRoom Watchman

Mar 28, 2018
    Oh no... quoting Tagaziel is not the best idea, I must warn you. He has a long history with this site, which if you PM me I can tell you.

8. Atomic_Spawned

May 7, 2019
    No, the subjective part is what a person thinks. There aren't definitive ways to prove it's awful. For example, if a person decides to develop a game in a 16-bit format, do we judge them because the graphics aren't as good as another game's? No.

9. TheOtherManInTheRoom

TheOtherManInTheRoom Watchman

Mar 28, 2018
    No. Writing quality is not subjective. Why do we give games awards if there are no objective standards for them?

10. Norzan

Apr 7, 2017
    You would be objectively wrong, yes.

11. Atomic_Spawned

May 7, 2019
    Just because he linked a bum argument doesn't mean another argument isn't valid, dude.

12. R.Graves

Apr 21, 2016
    That's because it's not opinion.
    Obviously not since you don't seem to care enough to take a second to understand why the whole "art is subjective" stance is actually stupid.

Quality is not subjective, taste is. You're getting the two confused.

13. Atomic_Spawned

May 7, 2019
    Objectively? If I didn't like the story, I didn't like it. It could be grammatically flawless, but if I didn't like the direction it was taken, it's subjectively bad to me. You're so set in the 'if someone hates something I like, they're wrong' mentality. Sure, better stories can and have been told, but that doesn't diminish the game. Even if they had rebooted it and called Fallout 3 'Fallout', you wouldn't be satisfied. You'd say "Oh no, they redid the story. I hate their reboot, the old games are better." And that's your opinion. But it's subjective.

14. Norzan

Apr 7, 2017
    No, you would still be wrong. I can not like something, but still appreciate how well designed it is. By your reasoning, me not liking a whole genre of games makes them bad. That's how atrocious your reasoning is.

A story having one dimensional characters, plot holes up the ass, contradiciting past events, making no sense and being terribly told is an objectively bad story. And this is the story of Fallout 3, it's objectively bad. You can like it, doesn't make it good.

Rebooting would have been the best. This would mean it would be Bethesda's own retarded world, and not the world they didn't created, but they are destroying with their trash writing. Meaning i could just play the first two and know whatever nonsense Bethesda is doing doesn't affect this world, because it's an alternate world.

15. R.Graves

Apr 21, 2016
    Nah fam that just means you didn't enjoy it. I don't enjoy the godfather. But that movie is objectively well made. I do enjoy howard the duck. The movie is objectively not good. This ain't hard dude.

16. Atomic_Spawned

May 7, 2019
    So, here's where I think you've got my intentions and position skewed. It's not to say that if you don't like a genre of games, they're bad. They're bad to you. That's the beauty of subjective arguments. Fallout 3 is bad. To you. And whoever else who shares that opinion. But to me, it's good. And to whoever else shares that opinion. Hate it for whatever reason you want, everyone has some sort of scale they measure it by. Even critics. In every case, they have their idea of what it should be, and if it falls short, it's bad. If it meets or exceeds expectations, it's good. To some degree, there is good and bad. Most often, the masses dictate the reception.

17. Atomic_Spawned

May 7, 2019
    Objectively, by your definition, seems to be what the majority dictates. Some people would find Howard the Duck to be a well made movie, and the Godfather to be a poorly made movie. It's like Scream. Scream was a poorly made movie, in my opinion. Yet it's seen by many others as one of the greatest films of the 90s. It's not that anybody is right or wrong. It's that their opinions are different.

18. R.Graves

Apr 21, 2016
    Ftfy

Dude it's like you said hating something doesn't make it bad
    But on the same side
    Liking something doesn't make it good

Fallout 3 is objectively bad whether people like or not.
    These people would be wrong and possibly retarded.

Well made is an objective state of being not an opinion.

19. Norzan

Apr 7, 2017
    Nope, still can't call them bad because i don't like them. That would be spitting on good game design. I don't care for the Devil May Cry games, Bayonetta games and anything in that genre, but i'm not gonna call the whole genre bad because i don't like it.

Not being made for me doesn't make it bad. Being made for me but completely failing, like Fallout 3, is bad design. They have failed at design choices that are done better in other games. Not an hard concept to grasp.

20. R.Graves

Apr 21, 2016
    This is one of my favorite genres.

Actually there's a great example here.

Devil may cry has some of the most challenging action packed badass games to it's name.

Then Theres devil may cry 2

I think it's safe to say that even if you like devil may cry 2 (like me) that game is still just... Disgraceful in the gameplay department.