Chris Avellone Interview Mentions Obsidian Split

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by TorontRayne, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim It Wandered In From the Wastes

Sep 29, 2015
    That would be wonderfull of course . But will he have the freedom to bring back dialogue trees , silent protagonist , skills , traits , daring and original writing , choice and consequence etc under Bethesda ?

I hope i'm wrong , but if fallout 4 is such a success why would bethesda want to go back to even fallout 3's standards?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  2. Millim

Millim What the fuck is this for a shit?!

Oct 13, 2010
    Fallout 4 was a success, but even Bethesda fans have grown tired of it.

Eventually Bethesda will run out of people to tire out.

Plus now, they can keep hold of their current fanbase and win back the old if they put in effort.

But they probably won't

3. Little Robot

Little Robot sup Orderite

Sep 29, 2010
    i would love to see an Obsidian game with a nola setting. or even elsewhere in LA.
    i don't really know how feasible a new orleans fallout game would be, though, because without the army corps of engineers doing basic maintenance on the levees the city would be underwater. i guess there could be a race of mutants with gills.

4. eissa

eissa Gall óGlaigh Lady of War

Jan 7, 2016
    a post apocalyptic cyberpunk game by obsidian would suffice, basically a new IP

5. Little Robot

Little Robot sup Orderite

Sep 29, 2010
    isn't "post apocalyptic cyberpunk" sort of self-contradictory? cyberpunk is all about the seedy grit of a future society where unrestrained capitalism, corporate greed, and technocratic thinking has created a vast gulf between the privileged and the underclasses. i don't really know how that sort of setting can be post-apocalyptic.

6. lolpop109

lolpop109 Vault Dweller
    Modder

Jul 14, 2016
    Maybe something like tenpenny tower ? I dunoo really know though I guess it could kind of work

7. TorontRayne

TorontRayne Misanthropic God of Rations Staff Member Moderator Orderite

Apr 1, 2005
    Part Two Has Arrived!

http://sugarbombed.com/forums/threa...s-the-chris-avellone-interview-part-ii.21180/

Hmmmm...

SB: Dead Money is another DLC in which you were a big part of. Although I loved the story and characters, I wasn’t huge on the design decisions. I felt that there wasn’t enough open exploration for my tastes, and that all the traps and speakers etc. were an unnecessary annoyance. What was behind the decision to make this DLC more linear and difficult?

CA: Yeah, it was trying to be like The Pitt and there were other considerations I can't talk about, but I understand your reaction and I don't think it's unwarranted (not many people liked it, or liked it despite the problems). Again, there might be an Obsidian forum post about the decisions involved, but I can't check. Regardless, I accept responsibility for the lack of fun.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  8. PlanHex

PlanHex Useless layabout oTO Moderator Orderite

Nov 4, 2007
  9. a721402

a721402 Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Mar 29, 2016
    The closest thing to a "Post Apocalyptic Cyberpunk" game is Shadowruns series.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  10. Radiosity

Radiosity Writiosity

Sep 9, 2015
    What I mostly see on Youtube these days is build videos. And while I do actually enjoy those, it's fun seeing the stuff people come up with, it's also worrying. If Bethesda sees that the one thing with staying power in Fallout 4 is the settlement building, what do you think they'll do for 5?

11. Millim

Millim What the fuck is this for a shit?!

Oct 13, 2010
    Hopefully, improve it.
    It's not a bad mechanic and fits into the series well. How it was implemented however was shameful and could have been so much better.

12. Radiosity

Radiosity Writiosity

Sep 9, 2015
    I agree in principal, but while they might improve it mechanically, it sure as hell won't be tied to narrative in any way, just like 4. What's the point of improving the world by building settlements if it makes precisely no difference to anything in the wider world? There are plenty of (non-Radiant) ways this could be achieved, but I don't have the faith in Bethesda caring enough to bother.

13. TorontRayne

TorontRayne Misanthropic God of Rations Staff Member Moderator Orderite

Apr 1, 2005
  14. Juza The Cloud

Juza The Cloud Nanto Goshasei

Jun 3, 2015
    MCAs' Pete Hines praise is interesting but not unexpected to me.