Does the village die after enough time? (Fallout2)

Discussion in 'Fallout RPG Gameplay & Tech' started by The Oats, Jul 30, 2008.

1. The Oats

The Oats First time out of the vault

Jul 29, 2008
    Does the village die if I don't hurry and save it in time? In Fallout 2.

Okay I realize that were kind off bad formulated, so:
    Is there a count down in Fallout 2?

2. Kanhef

Kanhef Vault Dweller

Sep 2, 2007
    Not really. Certain events will happen over time, but they're part of the game plot, and don't prevent a good ending. There isn't a time limit after which you fail the game, like in Fallout 1. (For technical reasons, the game ends after 13 years, but it's unlikely you'll ever come close to that.)

3. The Oats

Jul 29, 2008
    Cool, good to know.
    But what's that about ending the game after 13 years?

4. alec

alec Stuck In The Middle With You Orderite

May 21, 2003
    There's a hard-coded time-limit in the engine that is set for 13 years. If you exceed that time-limit, you get to see a slide telling you you failed or something (don't remember exactly). You can get rid of it by using a certain patch, IIRC, but it's not necessary. You can actually traverse the worldmap several times within that timeframe. The fact that a lot of people don't even know that Fallout 2 has a time-limit says it all, really.

5. McRae

McRae For sale: clown shoes, never worn Orderite

Dec 9, 2007
    This is what you get after 13 years wandering in the Wasteland :

6. The Oats

Jul 29, 2008
    Cool, thanks for the answers :)

7. Millennium

Millennium First time out of the vault

Aug 19, 2008
    los-angeles-times

Ìóäðûå ñëîâà! ÐÅÑÏÅÊÒ!!!
    Óõòû, ñóïåð, äàâíî æäàë. ÑÏÑ

8. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    Actually, since it's hard-coded, I don't think there is a patch to remove it. I think alec is thinking of Fallout 1, whose secondary time limit is removed by the basic patch.

But honestly, I've never seen this time limit myself, and I've played Fallout 2 anywhere up to a hundred times. You have to make an effort to see the time limit, aimlessly wandering the desert for years. Don't worry about it.

9. Dario ff

Dario ff Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Aug 19, 2008
    if you rested all your life, had a hack where you jsut press the leftclick button for resting, and leave the game for several hourse,you could end up after 13 years really easily. But donçt worry, oyu can do the game completely on 3-4 years