Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Korin, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Korin

Korin Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
    Admin

Aug 6, 2010
  2. dev

dev Still Mildly Glowing

Sep 25, 2004
    for me it looks too much like oblivion (i mean the graphics)...

3. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    At least from this glimpse, this is clearly a step up from Oblivion, and while I can't say I'm a fan of the further simplified game mechanics (or silly new menus), if the game is fun as an action-RPG then I'd say Bethesda have just won me over a little bit. What will really make it or break it for me is the quality of quests (are there proper dialogue trees? is the writing any good? will I have lots of ways to solve problems?) and in how reactive the world is (does working for one faction piss off another? will I be asked to do reprehensible things for people I cared about, and then be punished if I refuse? will communities and individuals be changed by my deeds?). Oblivion had tons of locations, NPCs, and quests, but not a single one really mattered, except for changing some of the gossip you'd hear and opening up some nifty new items. In this day and age of only rewarding players and not providing any unforeseen consequences, though, I have my doubts that we'll really be able to have a lasting impact on the world.

On visuals... to be honest, aside from the snow effects and improved lighting, the biggest jump up visually is in character animation, not really the core assets. There's a lot more variety in the art, but some of the texture detail still seems pretty low (due to console limitations no doubt). Note that it also seems to be running on a console due to the resolution aliasing, so at least it's mostly in-game footage (albeit heavily staged). I do like some of the spell effects, though, and the new creature designs are really good, even if I think they're trying a little too hard to be "dark" and "evil" with them. Whether or not the rest of the game has this much variety remains to be seen, but it certainly is promising.

That said, though, it looks a lot better than I expected. Partially that's because this was just a damn good trailer that was edited well, and partially because the music by Jeremy Soule is amazing as always. In fact, if you get rid of the music I have to wonder if the trailer would have anywhere near the impact... my guess is it doesn't.

4. rcorporon

rcorporon So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
    Orderite

Jan 31, 2008
    The music sounded like the Morrowind theme.

5. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    It's been the Elder Scrolls theme since Morrowind... it was used in Oblivion as well, albeit in a slightly different form. It's possibly Jeremy Soule's best theme song, although not what I'd call his best work outright (that probably goes to Icewind Dale).

6. Bal-Sagoth

Bal-Sagoth Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Nov 1, 2008
    Say what you will about the series, that trailer was pretty damn epic. I am excited about the game, going in expecting an at least decent Action RPG and don't think I will be disappointed.

7. Makenshi

Makenshi Ahoy, ye salty dogs!

Jul 28, 2006
    Hope the following happens:

- Beth stick to their series and leave anything Fallout with Obsidian;
    - Obsidian people play Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics;
    - Obsidian people download a crapload of great mods for New Vegas and play their own game closer to the way it should be (even with mods, it's not as it should)
    - Beth gives them an improved version of this new TES engine (or of the Rage engine?), all kinds of freedom and time, MUCH TIME, for them to work and polish;
    - Obsidian stays true to the canon and the hell away from all that east coast bullshit.

One can dream...

8. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008
    Agreed, good trailer. If Beth knows how to do anything at all, it's promotion.

And yes, the game looks decent graphically. A lot better than DAII, I might add. But then again, Arcania (Gothic 4) also looked great, and we all know how awesome of a game it was. :roll:

9. Mutoes

Mutoes Mildly Dipped

Feb 5, 2008
    Pretty good trailer actually, good music(morrowind theme remix?) and i liked how the graphics look. I also like the viking setting. But to be honest Oblivion felt so bland overall for that little that i tried it that i try not to let the hype get me.

10. maximaz

maximaz Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Apr 2, 2006
    According to some Beth dude named Nick Breckon,

Makes no sense why that would be the case but I'm VERY impressed if it really is. I wonder what a PC version would look like.

11. mobucks

mobucks literally Orderite

May 22, 2010
    Wasnt impressed with the draw distance. Beth has a habit of putting hill after hill just to hide pop up. Guess now it will be mountain after mountain. (how many mountains were in that vid?)

The effects, like fog, clouds, snow, different seasons (apparently)were well done IMO.

12. aenemic

aenemic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Jun 4, 2008
    I'm just glad it's a bit darker and grittier than Oblivion. or at least that's how it seems.

even if it's as bland and meaningless as Oblivion I'm probably gonna get a few hours of fun out of it. and who knows, maybe they'll even do better this time. I always took Oblivion for what it is: a simple sandbox game with some slight rpg elements, and with a fun levelling system. as long as I didn't expect anything else out of it, I could enjoy it. but sooner or later I'd get sick of the bland, boring and childish setting. Morrowind on the other hand was a world to get lost in and explore. I hope we're at least getting some of that back.

13. rcorporon

rcorporon So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
    Orderite

Jan 31, 2008
    For me, I'm never giving Beth another dime of my money, so I'm not buying it, regardless.

14. fedaykin

fedaykin Vault Fossil

Jul 15, 2007
    Could it be? Real-time environment shadows? I wonder how much they'll have to shrink the gameworld to compensate for the framerate drop.

15. Korin

Korin Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
    Admin

Aug 6, 2010
    This is also done entirely with xbox 360 footage apparently... this isn't the PC version.

16. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008
    Apparently.

I'm wondering though, wouldn't the 360 explode trying to do that?

17. maximaz

maximaz Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Apr 2, 2006
    What I'm wondering is why on Earth they would do that. Wouldn't it be easier and prettier to use a PC version?

18. Shadow of the Wastes

Shadow of the Wastes It Wandered In From the Wastes

Aug 8, 2010
    Graphics don't matter, but that is a damn pretty game.

And if half of what they've said is true, it sounds like it will be fun to play also. (Important note: I like Oblivion)

19. Gaddes

Gaddes Look, Ma! Two Heads!

May 18, 2010
    Wait, did Bethsoft actually show something that actually impressed me somewhat? Nice visuals, GREATLY improved animations, and some great music (well, the Elderscrolls have always had great music). I'm going to try and stay optimistic here and say this has actually peaked my interest in it.

20. Shadow of the Wastes

Shadow of the Wastes It Wandered In From the Wastes

Aug 8, 2010
    *Piqued

I'm not optimistic, but hopeful. If Bethesda gives us shiny Oblivion, I'll still like it but be disappointed. If they give us shiny awesome Oblivion, which is what they're promising. I'll be pleasantly surprised.