Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Korin, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    Thats what I mean. Combat is overall better in Skyrim compared to Oblivion, but still way to simple if you ask me.

well but you can have a lot of fun with the summoners though

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHbF9ynGZV0[/youtube]

2. TorontRayne

TorontRayne Super Eye Patch Man Staff Member Moderator Orderite

Apr 1, 2005
    Good one. Reminds me of New Vegas too. :lol:

3. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008
    to be fair though I have yet to find a stealth game where you have such high realism. I mean dont get me wrong, there a few really good games out there (thief! :3!!11) and such. But its still easy to find in many of them ways to exploit the fact that you have "PC" in the background.

visuals sure are better today, but I have the feeling the AI is somewhat still stuck in a position like 10 or 15 years ago.

4. mobucks

mobucks literally Orderite

May 22, 2010
    What about the metal gears? If a dead soldier is found, you have to wait while backup is called. Then you have to wait while a sweep is performed by a heavy search and eliminate team which is usually not part of the regular patrols. If they don't find you, the dead soldier is usually replaced, if reinforcements exist. (if you killed a lot of dudes they might not have reinforcements to spare)

5. Tagaziel

Tagaziel Panzerkatze Staff Member Admin Orderite

Dec 10, 2003
    Knocking dudes out decreases the reinforcement count. Killing them does not (or at least does it several times more slowly).

STALKER comes to mind. Realistic in the sense "SOMETHING moved in those bushes! Shine a light there and empty a clip, to make sure it's not some Zone abomination!"

6. Surf Solar

Surf Solar So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Aug 20, 2009
    Isn't ammo supposed to be hard to come by in the zone? Doesn't seem very intelligent to me to empty clips in moving bushes :P

7. Tagaziel

Tagaziel Panzerkatze Staff Member Admin Orderite

Dec 10, 2003
    Depends on the faction. Smart stalkers always have spare mags.

8. Joelzania

Joelzania Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Oct 12, 2011
    No, the bandits were a group who'd taken up residence in some guy's castle and taken his family captive. This guy just sat there whilst he and his five or so friends told me to sneak in the back entrance and unlock the gate. There were more bandits guarding the back gate than at the front.

9. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008
    well they are bandits. They sure know where a sneaky person would try to get in!

10. TorontRayne

TorontRayne Super Eye Patch Man Staff Member Moderator Orderite

Apr 1, 2005
    Nah. That game engine is shit for stealth. Some mods have improved it, for both Elder Scrolls and Fallout, but usually it's just awful.

11. Joelzania

Joelzania Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Oct 12, 2011
    To be honest, there aren't many games that pull off stealth well. But when a game does stealth well, you sure as hell know about it.

12. Ilosar

Ilosar Vault Fossil

Apr 20, 2010
    True. Only games that put stealth at the core do it well, and even then. I still remember how terribly worthless the stealth in Kingdoms of Amalur was.

13. aenemic

aenemic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Jun 4, 2008
    how so? I used stealth all the time and it does what it's supposed to - let's you single out targets and insta-gib them, or sneak close and place traps before you pull a group of enemies.

as for Skyrim, I just began a new playthrough. gonna try to finally finish the damn game. this time I'm using some simple mods (unofficial patch and UFO mainly, nothing really game-changing). any tips for graphical mods that don't change around things too much but make the game prettier?

14. mobucks

mobucks literally Orderite

May 22, 2010
    best stealth game

[spoiler:bdecd3ddaf]

[/spoiler:bdecd3ddaf]
    just because.

15. Jebus

Jebus Background Radiant
    Orderite

Jan 29, 2004
    I'd just like to mention that I got a Skyrim with 214 mods running smoothly, crash- and bugfree, and without any perfomance loss.

Let me henceforth be known as a god amongst men.

Also, this. took. ages.

16. Akratus

Akratus Bleep bloop.

May 14, 2011
    I have 157 mods on right now. Without much performance loss. Water replacer was an fps hog. Replacing that with a simple water normal map retexture increased my fps by about 10. Same with ENB. Just having a mod that removes the color filter, as well as lighting mods does the job far better. And it leaves the sharpness and detail too.

17. TheWesDude

TheWesDude Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 25, 2005
    over 100 mods?

holy cow...

thats just pathetic.

what happened to people who combined popular/smaller mods?

i know people used to do that for the other beth games.

i think by the end francos mod had like 20-30 other mods inside it for oblivion.

18. Jebus

Jebus Background Radiant
    Orderite

Jan 29, 2004
    People have gotten a lot more fickle concerning copyright and permission to use the mods they've created, apparently.

There's a few combo-mods, but not a lot. And considering their nature they're usually more difficult to combine with a plethora of other mods because it's not always as clear what they modify and what scripts they run.

19. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008
    The only issue I have is that many of the mods actually dont do anything else then changing the visuals one way or another. Countless of mods for either Oblivion or Skyrim are just something that is replacing textures, giving you some new weapons here and there, making your armor look like in Diablo (Tyrael) or Lord of the rings, making Deadra armor pink and the like.

I am missing real mods. I know those are not easy to make but still.

Many of the really interesting projects get sadly never finished. Like one where they wanted to make Oblivion in to LotR, but I guess they had to deal with legal issues here ... no clue.

Totall conversion mods seem to have died somehow. Guess it has become much more difficult to motivate people to stay with one project. Not that I expect every mod to become the next Counter Strike as far as popularity and fun goes.

But there is so far not even one really good "play as dragon" mod in Skyrim.

20. Jebus

Jebus Background Radiant
    Orderite

Jan 29, 2004
    Total conversion mods are just too much work with current games, I guess. There's way more to convert now than there was with Half-Life, back in the '90s.
    There is the SkyWind project, though, that's aiming (and making good progress) to 'import' Morrowind to the Skyrim engine.

There's plenty of good quest mods, too, if you look for them. "Wyrmstooth", for instance, or "Moonpath to Elsweyr" (though that one is almost impossible to play if you use lighting mods because it's so damn dark). "Interesting NPC's" also adds a lot of content.

Meh, it's not like Skyrim's really all that lacking in content anyway.