Emil Pagliarulo Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Fallout Discussion' started by DirtyOldShoe, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Walpknut

Walpknut Testament to the ghoul lifespan

Dec 30, 2010
    He actually bragged about how good a writter he was for the arrow in the knee line.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  2. 0wing

0wing Все умрут, а я волномут

Mar 23, 2015
    Phrase on itself while not poetry, fits into nordic setting of Skyrim. The repetition made it a meme, that's all. But that's another kind of problem.

3. Walpknut

Dec 30, 2010
    There is also the fact that quests and NPCs were so bland that there is a mod just called Interesting NPCs.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  4. 0wing

Mar 23, 2015
    So LGNPC for Morrowind exists. This problem just sticks with Bethesda in general, the Todd is game director and Bethesda employee; Close the circle.

I'm not adored in anything Emil ever wrote and will write, but at least he doesn't have (shown) an inflated ego. People like Michael Kirkbride, Pete Hines and Todd Howard are real monsters. Monsters of smug, like they know how they suck at what they do, how painful their actions are and they :smug: about it.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  5. Walpknut

Dec 30, 2010
    Calling them monsters kind of over dramatic.

6. 0wing

Mar 23, 2015
    Are you so sure about it?

• [Like] [Like] x 4
  7. Walpknut

Dec 30, 2010
    He is just an asshat.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  8. 0wing

Mar 23, 2015
    Close the circle.

9. MercenarySnake

MercenarySnake Kept you waiting huh?

Aug 22, 2015
    Lul "Oblivion and Skyrim weren't written badly to an extent", they were both terrible in the writing department. Look at the thieves guild for example,

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=14422

Yeah some real good writing there, “You’ve never worked a day in your life for all that coin you’re carrying around.”. That's some terrible writing to assume some adventurer is making all of his money by stealing especially if doing jobs for Thanes and such.

You have moments like

It's silly how they never once assumed that the player which was allowed inside of the distillery before this event was the one to do this.
    Then they allow Mallus to continue using the same place which just had an incident like this instead of shutting the place down.

I don't want to go into a long as detailed page of this shit but the point is the writing sucks donkey ass, you have this which is a big stupid ass bit of writing especially:

She shot the player instead of the person she was supposed to shoot with the arrow and then has the audacity to say that she saved your life.

Look you can think what you want about the writing but at the end of the day it's shit. Besides if I spent time pointing out every single terrible bit of writing in that questline alone we would be here for a long time, atleast long enough for Emil to learn how to properly use his brain and write atleast one good Fallout/Elder Scrolls thing in his life.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
    • [Like] [Like] x 2
  10. 0wing

Mar 23, 2015
    I'll be short and say, to an extend. Compared to his work on Fallout 3 & 4, where everything is upside down and makes no sense, Skyrim holds alot better, which you didn't disprove and never will since it's a fight against burning windmills. Yeah, still not a fan of half of the game, but still again, at least Skyrim has it's redeeming qualities and proper script pieces. Again, the core shit is in the design, like the forced dungeon crawling and 't000tal player freedom', but that's the question for toddie-boy and nu-TES target audience.
    Todd must ask him first, which he won't since his ego knows better.

11. BigGuyCIA

BigGuyCIA Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Oct 26, 2016
    Are implying that Emil is mostly a victim to a game director that has trouble telling the difference between an RPG and FPS? Emil was Senior Designer and Writer for both Skyrim and Fallout 4. I honestly think he's just as responsible for some of the shitty design decisions.

12. MercenarySnake

Aug 22, 2015
    Okay, even if it is "better" shit is still shit no matter the varying degrees. To me I think they're all terrible with 4 being the worst out of the bunch.

13. 0wing

Mar 23, 2015
    It's not like you have something to besides Thieves' Guild (yes, it's shit, move on), because Shamus doesn't have other material on his site. It's not like any other TES game, which is in Todd's domain, any better. It's not like you missed the point of the words 'redeeming qualities'.
    The final word is still behind the Todd, and if he appreciates the job done by Emil, they share the responsibility for the backfired decision.

Wasn't it an appreciation thread?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    • [Like] [Like] x 1
  14. Radiosity

Radiosity Writiosity

Sep 9, 2015
    The trend I've noticed most with Bethesda's writing is that anything in the present tense, I.E. the main story, side quests, that type of thing, is always utter trash. But the stuff they write for terminal entries (like the really rather good backstory to the Raiders on the Libertalia in FO4) and similar 'in the past, nothing to do with real, living people' content tends to be pretty good.

So my guess is they have someone who's actually a decent writer churning out all the terminal entries and books/lore stuff, and Emil and his cronies churning out the godawful main stories. Honestly... at this point I think they should just drop the main quest type stories, it's clear they don't have the talent for that sort of writing. Just fill the world with side content and avoid NPCs at all cost. Not like we're getting real Fallout again, so why not play to their few actual strengths and leave the living 'present tense' stories to the big boys over at places like Obsidian?

But that would require Emil to actually have any sort of self-awareness as to his own level of suck as a writer.

15. MercenarySnake

Aug 22, 2015
    Well lets see you have this which can sum up the college of winterhold well but I'm sure I'm wasting my time:

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrim/comments/3rc2mv/an_essentially_accurate_summary_of_skyrims/

Atleast the game gave you more dialogue choices.
    Its only redeeming qualities would be modding, the unstable wacky physics, and the mindless stupid fun.
    Anyways I'm done arguing about this nonsense.

16. BigGuyCIA

BigGuyCIA Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Oct 26, 2016
    Egh, I see the difference between somebody producing shit, and the director signing off on it. Only, it starts in the hands of someone talented, handsome, and super-duper smart like Emil...

am I doing it right?

Anyways, watch dis:

17. 0wing

Mar 23, 2015
    What a cringe inducing chore.
    Yes-s...

Which is pretty much what Skyrim was, fun, a step above Oblivion and Morrowind nonetheless.

Did you guys know Emil is the writer and designer for TES3: Bloodmoon DLC? And it also sucked?

18. Jogre

Jogre It's all JO'Ger now

Oct 25, 2015
    One thing I don't get is why Fallout 4 even needs a senior writer.

I mean, there's barely any dialogue or writing in the game at all.

Whenever you get attacked by generic bad dudes there's no build up, you never get to ask questions or talk about certain topics in detail, the dialogue is essentially a glorified distraction from the heaps and heaps of shoehorned combat.

Like, with a game with so little decent writing, why do they even need to hire someone as a senior writer?, Is it just like an honorary title like a knighthood?

19. DR_LaZer

DR_LaZer Donacdum

Jul 7, 2016
    Nah man, you don't get it. You gotta read the terminals and listen to them talk to each other about stuff completely without your involvement. That's so deep mang.

• [Like] [Like] x 3
  20. Cobra Commander

Cobra Commander Still Mildly Glowing

Dec 6, 2016
    Yesterday my comments on the Emil Genius were censored and some deleted on the official Bethesda forum.

I did not even lash out the guy, I just called him modern Shakespeare and then I said it was a joke, in fact he was the worst writer in history.

https://bethesda.net/community/topic/79773/hire-writers/4

So, yeah. Fell free to post in that forum, but only if you willing to open your butt for Bethesda.