Equilibrium Mod v2.0 Released

Discussion in 'Fallout Tactics Modding' started by raics, Sep 6, 2014.

1. raics

raics First time out of the vault

Aug 17, 2014
    Thanks, I'll check it out, it might have gotten below the floor level by accident, that's usually the case with invisible objects. Or it might be under the generator.

2. JayB33

JayB33 First time out of the vault

Jun 7, 2017
    Eventually the dogs became easy to tackle solo, as you might imagine. Unfortunately, so did the super mutants and anything else that uses small arms fire; the reason being DR. If I wear Metal Armor Mk. II and consume Voodoo & Psycho, and possibly take a rank or two of Toughness as well, then I can achieve 100%+ DR. This allows me to waltz around the super mutant maps + below with an unarmed character who expends just 3 AP per attack and absolutely demolishes enemies, because EQ has buffed fist weapon damage with the supposed caveat that you have to be very close to attack. It's pretty easy to get up close when nothing but explosives or lucky high roll crits can touch you. I don't even have to bother increasing the unarmed skill much past 100% to have a 95% chance to hit anything unless I'm blinded. That's fair enough until you look at the damage numbers and realise that small arms are a crapshoot in comparison because you need Perception 8+, skill 130%+ and Night vision to be remotely accurate at night with a gun (IMO the only way to get decent cover against enemy fire is at night) and a lot of the small arms feel very weak in comparison to unarmed, plus you need more AP to use them. Shotguns would be a great alternative to fist weapons, except they require a lot of AP to use and you need to be uncomfortably close to the enemy, where you may as well be using Unarmed attacks anyway and avoid friendly fire.

So yeah, Voodoo and Psycho need to have their DR bonus reduced to 10% or less, or a cap needs to be put on DR if possible. Power armour, Toughness and 1 drug are going to make me invincible to normal damage unless a cap is in place.

Fist weapons need their damage reduced by say... 25%? Ranged weapons (except shotguns) need their damage increased correspondingly by... 25%? Plus I don't understand why the starter shotgun needs 6 AP to shoot.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  3. raics

Aug 17, 2014
    Unfortunately, yes, the DR cap is 90% which is way too high and you can hit it with toughness and chems fairly easy. Later on enemies use energy weapons and AP ammo more which means you aren't taking gummybear damage at least from some of them. There isn't much I can do about the cap, I can make it harder to reach by reducing the increment per armor tier but power armor would really be crap then. Well, removing DR from chems at least might help delay it, I'll probably replace it with some other bonus.

Close combat weapons are admittedly a bit overtuned, if you aren't exploiting DR to the fullest it does give you a nice risk-reward factor which is needed to get people to use them, and it also makes melee enemies more than easy meat they are in vanilla.

There's a pattern, pump action shotguns and bolt action rifles spend 6AP per shot because of the cycle, semi auto shot costs 5AP, for pistols and SMG it's 4AP because a full 'shot' action also includes 'aim' and those weapons are lighter. That's also the reason SMGs typically have higher burst count than is the difference in rate of fire between them and heavier weapons, they're easier to handle so you can squeeze a few extra bullets during the same time frame.

Thanks for the all the feedback, I haven't had any from a highest difficulty playthrough.

4. JayB33

Jun 7, 2017
    Is the DR cap a maximum of 90% only present in the background? I'm absolutely certain I've seen 130% in the char screen and received no damage at all from the super mutants in St. Louis from LMG bursts unless they get a high rolling crit. I'm not playing on highest difficulty because you said it wasn't supported. If I use one of my hero chars it will be on higher difficulties. :P I'm just using a normal one right now to test balance and run through EQ legit.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  5. raics

Aug 17, 2014
    Yeah, it should be internally capped to 90%, you're supposed to be receiving at least 1 damage assuming the threshold hasn't eliminated it all (which shouldn't be the case) so beats me why you're getting no damage. Maybe the burst fire fix messed something up.

6. JayB33

Jun 7, 2017
    It's a shame there's no way to change the cap. I don't think there was one in the vanilla game either. I had an idea to make Afterburner Gum resist Explode & Fire by 10%, Psycho to resist Energy & Electric by 10%, and Voodoo to resist Normal & Gas by 10%, the problem is they keep stacking DR if you take multiple doses of the same drug. I guess it's not even possible to stop them stacking. Can you make the drugs more lethal to stack? I think 2 doses for 20% in each DR is okay if you have a high Endurance with which to avoid an overdose, any more and it starts getting ridiculous.

Another interesting thing I've noticed is that you can take multiple doses of Mentats to gain Charisma and therefore ranks with the Brotherhood, albiet temporarily. :D

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  7. raics

Aug 17, 2014
    Yeah, can't prevent stacking but I could increase the drawbacks. Maybe remove charisma bonus from mentats and replace it with skill bonuses, you don't need to buff those stats for anything in Tactics.