F2 restoration project and wine

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by bortef, Sep 21, 2010.

1. bortef

bortef First time out of the vault

Sep 21, 2010
    Hi,

I just installed F2 & the F2RP on wine (ubuntu). Installers didnt give any errors, but when I start the game, after the short loading screen I get an error:

wmAreaInit::Error loading Cities!

Is this a wine-related error or did I just install wrong?

Anybody had experience with F2RP on wine?

Cheers! :)

2. killap

killap Bear Dude Moderator Modder

May 16, 2005
    That's sfall complaining. You'll need to work some magic with the .dll to get it to work under WINE. There are already instructions here.

3. Jotisz

Jotisz Mildly Dipped

Aug 28, 2007
    Well I tried to run Fallout 2 in wine it worked but I had installed it on windows and not whit the RP but the unofficial patch so I can't really give you a straight answer but from the thing you said/wrote it could be with the city limit so I would try to use this

Edit
    deleted the link since it wasn't the solution\
    didn't seen your reply Killap I just wrote mine and didn't wait to reload the page then went to the next tread

4. killap

killap Bear Dude Moderator Modder

May 16, 2005
    No, don't apply that file. Just follow the instructions in the link I gave to get the .dll working under WINE.

5. bortef

bortef First time out of the vault

Sep 21, 2010
    cool, thank you! I´ll give it a try.

6. Johno1605

Johno1605 First time out of the vault

Jan 28, 2017
    This post is 6 years old but I'll give it a go!

So I'm at the same point as bortef and keep getting the error loading cities. I'm not the most computer literate and it's taken me the best part of 3/4 hours to get this far.

I don't understand how to get Wine to use the native version of ddraw. Have tried typing "ddraw.dll=n" DLL but it's not changing anything.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Been wanting to play this game for years!

7. PlanHex

PlanHex Useless layabout oTO Moderator Orderite

Nov 4, 2007
    I think the wikia stuff means you have to launch the game from a terminal with the command
    WINEDLLOVERRIDES="ddraw.dll=n" wine FALLOUT2.EXE
    after you have cd'ed to the fallout2 directory in the terminal of course. Not entirely sure though, I never used wine. I only really use ubuntu/linux for coding and such, not gaming...

8. Johno1605

Jan 28, 2017
    Literally just type that into a terminal? Just tried that and it said command not found

9. PlanHex

PlanHex Useless layabout oTO Moderator Orderite

Nov 4, 2007
    Oh well, was just a guess. You probably have to look up how winecfg works then, specifically the part about "setting overrides in winecfg for fallout2.exe". I can't really help you there.

10. Johno1605

Jan 28, 2017
    Thanks, I've tried and been looking all day. Just searched again and still not getting it or getting it fixed.

Looks like my only options are play the game with a sh** ton of lag and jerky movements or don't play at all!

11. burn

burn Look, Ma! Two Heads!
    Modder

Apr 22, 2012
    if it says not found, that means you don't have wine in path

12. valcik

valcik Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Dec 20, 2008
    Playing RP without sfall is a bad idea, some scripting won't work as intended.

13. HIGH_HEAT

HIGH_HEAT First time out of the vault

Nov 3, 2017
    I hadn't tried playing this game in years until this past month. I had it working on an older windows laptop but now I have a Mac. I ran into a lot of issues getting wine to work and the updates but finally got it all working to include this restoration project.

I ran into the exact same issue you had. I can't ever get wine to load anything correctly thru terminal. Instead I recreated a wineskin from wineskin winery and deleted the one I had been using that kept giving me errors. Using the fresh wineskin I was able to open the 'advanced' section, then 'tools' and then on the left column select the 'config utility' (winecfg) button. From there you find the 'Libraries' tab and type in 'ddraw.dll'. Click add and it should appear below and say 'ddraw (native, builtin)'. That should solve that problem.

I ran into the same save game issues as listed on the other page. I found that locking the individual files instead of the folders resolved that. I think the newest version of wine is different and all the newest updates on Mac are constantly working against you when trying to do things like run an old windows game. Every time I get an update on OS Sierra I have had to re-do my wineskins for this game.