Fallout 2 Is Too Hard At The Start

Discussion in 'General Fallout Discussion' started by DwayneGAnd, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Ben Soto

Ben Soto Professional Salt Shaker

Jul 7, 2014
    IIRC, enemies can sometimes get to attack before you can even move. It's the equivalent of playing Yu-Gi-Oh and your opponent draws into all five Exodia cards on the first turn.

2. 5545Trey

5545Trey Underground Deviant

Jun 25, 2014
    Great argument.

Enemies get the first turn every single time you encounter them; there are instances where the player can die BEFORE they get their first turn. What part of that do you not understand? Do I have to draw with fucking crayons, make a picture, and then send it to you so you can finally get it through you? You can STILL get killed, even before you do ANYTHING, even before you get a fucking turn.

No shit. Fallout 2's encounter system is a cheap way to artificially increase the difficulty in the game. I have over 5 years of experience playing these games; I know when to run if I have the chance, and if it is possible.

The game is hard (again, only in the first few levels, or just on your first/second playthrough) because it places players in certain positions with enemies that are obviously either OP or too numerous to escape from early on, and this often happens when you travel from Klamath to the Den, or from the Den to Modoc.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  3. ThatZenoGuy

ThatZenoGuy Residential Zealous Evolved Nano Organism

Nov 8, 2016
    Isn't that dependent on sequence?

I literally can ignore raiders, gecko, etc.

The only creatures which can even touch me are ranged people with good skills (high tier combat armoured bandits and ENCLAVE) and maybe deathclaws.

4. RavagersPre

RavagersPre First time out of the vault

Nov 15, 2015
    Fallout 2 is brutal if you pick a gun character in the beginning. I remember my first playthrough I had to scavenge off the dead bodies of raiders when they raided caravans.

5. Hassknecht

Hassknecht For hate's sake. Admin Orderite

Aug 16, 2010
    Absolutely.
    Not that it's any easier if you go for melee, really. Especially with the RP the encounter rate and difficulty is quite high, and raider parties often obliterate you within two rounds or so. Not even a chance to flee!
    In order to get past this you really must know how to create a character to maximize your initiative and everything, or it will just be really hard, enforcing savescumming.

6. Risewild

Risewild Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    It is dependent on the surprise round. Sequence only kicks in after the surprise round.
    The surprise round means that which side has it, they act in the first round, no matter how high or low their sequence is. For example, if who is acting in the surprise round also has a higher sequence, then they have two rounds in a row, the surprise one and the normal higher sequence one, then the other side(s) has their round(s) and after that all is normal with one round each.

7. zegh8578

zegh8578 Keeper of the trout Orderite

Mar 11, 2012
    thrust spear
    (you missed)
    move away
    (hope gecko misses you)
    thrust spear
    (you missed)
    move away
    (hope gecko misses you)
    thrust spear