Fallout 4 does not make sense

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by TorontRayne, Dec 9, 2015.

1. TorontRayne

TorontRayne Misanthropic God of Fuck Moderator Orderite

Apr 1, 2005
    Rock Paper Shotgun shared something with us today which talks about skeletons and ruin still being present 200 years after the Great War. A short segment can be found below.

• [Like] [Like] x 2
  2. Walpknut

Walpknut Koichi Really Steals? No Dignity

Dec 30, 2010
    Weren't they praising that as "envirormental narrative" on release week?

3. TorontRayne

TorontRayne Misanthropic God of Fuck Moderator Orderite

Apr 1, 2005
    One week they praise the game the next they start picking out the flaws once the hype wears off. It happens every time.

But even in their initial review they said this:

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  4. Gizmojunk

Gizmojunk Vault Senior Citizen

Nov 26, 2007
    It is a cardinal mistake to invest any concern for sense in the theme park. Alas, where Fallout was the world as their 1950's assumed it ~made post apocalyptic... FO3 and FO4 are the post apocalyptic world as Bethesda's target audience would assume it. None of it has to make sense (unfortunately), it's theme park decoration, not an extrapolation in earnest. :irked:

One might just as well mention that the BOS had held the Citadel as a working paramilitary encampment, and yet it's filthy. What military group with recruits would not have issued them all toothbrushes and mops, and had them clean the place spotless in the first week of occupation?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    • [Like] [Like] x 4
  5. Meurzh

Meurzh Spurs that Jingle Jangle

Dec 6, 2015
    This is one thing I've been complaining about for the longest time. In Bethesda's 'Fallouts', they make the world seem as if the bombs had fallen recently and not over 200 years ago.

I do like the colours, but the messiness of the (settled) world makes no sense. The settlements themselves make no sense. Why would you pass up a perfectly good military fort surrounded by a somewhat intact town for a crumbling, hundred years old fort?

6. Jabberwok

Jabberwok It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jun 7, 2008
    Not a new problem for them. Skyrim is full of ancient tombs, supposedly sealed for ages, that are filled with lit torches and lanterns. Not to mention fresh fruit, for some reason.

• [Like] [Like] x 2
  7. Meurzh

Meurzh Spurs that Jingle Jangle

Dec 6, 2015
    I found that so hilariously nonsensical in Skyrim. I remember being low on health and trying to find a way to get some back (I was in combat) and had to eat thousand year old tomb cheese under a torch that had been burning for well over millennia.

• [Like] [Like] x 8
  8. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    I still don't understand why they don't just say that Fallout 4 was like, 30 years after the apocalypse instead of 200. Many of the plot holes just vanish if you do that, and it's not like it screws up the continuity at all (though I guess it'd require they remove most of the Fallout 3 references... boo hoo).

• [Like] [Like] x 2
  9. NovaRain

NovaRain Casual Modder

Mar 10, 2007
    Then there won't be BOS. I guess they HAVE to reference something from previous games. Designing new factions like Minutemen, Railroad, and Institute is probably already too much work for Bethesda.

10. peadar87

peadar87 It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jun 4, 2015
    I think they do explain that somewhere by saying the Draugr maintain the tombs (when they're not mindlessly attacking you). That accounts for the torches at least. The tomb cheese is another matter though. I can't imagine the Draugr milking zombie cows in their spare time.

11. khain

khain [X] Sarcastic

Dec 3, 2015
    I can just picture the Draugr being regular people most of the time, milking their cows, chopping wood and farming their plots. Then as soon as an adventurer goes in, it's like a theme park attraction. "Quick guys, put the tools away, grab the swords and go graaaAAAARGH".

Funny thing is, if you have a mod to create some Draugr settlement in the tombs, with merchants, markets and farmers...

You have pretty much Fallout ghouls in Underworld.

• [Like] [Like] x 2
  12. Buxbaum666

Buxbaum666 Heterostructured Nanorod oTO Orderite

Dec 5, 2003
    It's possible that two articles written by two different people might contain different opinions.

• [Like] [Like] x 3
  13. Proletären

Proletären It Wandered In From the Wastes

Mar 15, 2012
    A good read but why don't the author mention that this is Bethesdas Fallout and their screw-up. The concerns raised in the article are not issues you will find in fallout 1, 2 or New Vegas, just in Bethesdas games.

In Fallout 1, 80 years after the bombs fell, people have already started to create new societies. The best example here would be Shady Sands, a society of farmers who have already constructed a lot of new buildings. And in Fallout 2, 160 years after the bombs, there is already a new democratic republic in place (NCR) and society as we know it is back. And in New Vegas, 200 years after the apocalypse, we see that democratic republic in war with barbarian hordes.

The author claims these are issues with "Fallout" but in reality they are the errors of Bethesdas stupidity.

• [Like] [Like] x 9
  14. Mr Fish

Mr Fish ♥ Let Me Cuff You ♥

Sep 11, 2010
    It would be better than Underworld as most of the ghouls in Underworld do bugger all. They sustain themselves by "scavenging", somehow.

15. valcik

valcik Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Dec 20, 2008
    That's something what Tim Cain came out with in his interview for RPG Codex at first:
    http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=8416
    Since then, every young gaming journo feels the need to mention „environmental storytelling” in any Beth-game reviewed, because you can't be wrong in your article with it when Tim Cain himself mentioned it, right?

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  16. peadar87

peadar87 It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jun 4, 2015
    And stuff like that is one of the good parts of FO3. And it would work even better with a coherent story and setting. 30 years after the war. And if you're going to turn the BoS into boy scouts anyway, just replace them with a division of the US Army equipped with power armour.

• [Like] [Like] x 4
  17. GlutinousRice

GlutinousRice Ne travaillez jamais

Nov 7, 2015
    I wonder, would skeletons be in such good condition 200 years without having a museum curator or archaeologist taking care of it?

18. Hassknecht

Hassknecht For hate's sake Admin Orderite

Aug 16, 2010
    No. They also won't stay in their fancy poses for 200 years because without sinews and flesh they just fall apart. But writers are allowed to have some fun.

• [Like] [Like] x 13
  19. Buxbaum666

Buxbaum666 Heterostructured Nanorod oTO Orderite

Dec 5, 2003
    I'm not interested in discussing how realistic things are in an alternate universe post-apoc game w/ talking mutants and ghouls.

• [Like] [Like] x 14
  20. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    As we learned in Fallout 4, they don't have to ;)

Why would anyone scavange anything if he can just happily exist for 200 years in a fridge. The Underworld Ghouls don't make any sense!