Fallout 4 quest appears to be "heavily inspired" by New Vegas mod

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Hassknecht, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Hassknecht

Hassknecht For hate's sake Admin Orderite

Aug 16, 2010
    Fallout 4 and especially its DLC has been heavily criticised for using ideas very similar to some found in mods, like New Vegas' "RobCo Certified". The workshop DLCs have been under most fire, but apparently even proper quests in Fallout 4 might have been "heavily inspired" by previously existing mods for Fallout 3 and New Vegas.
    Those who played the New Vegas quest mod "Autumn Leaves" and Fallout 4's DLC "Far Harbor" might have noticed that there are some peculiar similarities between the mod and the Far Harbor quest "Brain Dead". On ModDB this also didn't go by unnoticed, with a user providing a handy comparison between the two: http://www.moddb.com/mods/autumn-leaves/news/big-publishers-and-a-small-mod/
    Both involve new Vaults where the player has to investigate a murder case where the victim is the prime financier of the vault, and all the prime suspects are people who willingly put their brains into robobrain bodies. Both have the option to sleep with one of the suspects, both involve robot interrogation, voice modulators, art discussion, misleading pieces of evidence and a bit more.

If this catches on some more it will likely spark discussions how and if modders and their creations should be protected.
    So what's your opinion on this? How should the intellectual properties of modders be protected?

Bethesda's stance on this, btw., is that it's "pure coincidence".
    https://twitter.com/DCDeacon/status/753683030682832897
    Nothing to see here, folks!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    • [Like] [Like] x 10
  2. AgentBJ09

AgentBJ09 A Smooth-Skin

Jul 9, 2015
    Pfft. Of course it's "pure coincidence." Bethesda can do no wrong, after all.

• [Like] [Like] x 6
  3. Risewild

Risewild Vault Fossil
    Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    Bethesda word is law!
    then we have people responding to things there like this:
    How blind can people be?

• [Like] [Like] x 7
  4. Jogre

Jogre It's all JO'Ger now

Oct 25, 2015
    To be fair, one of those premises is false. You don't actually have any encounters with Rolland like you do with Gilda, he's just suggesting that because he enjoys making other people uncomfortable.

However the rest are uncanny.

EDIT: If you read the tweets, It seems that Pete Hines seems to have adopted the Bethesdrone attitude of Criticism = Hate. Classic.

• [Like] [Like] x 10
  5. Proletären

Proletären It Wandered In From the Wastes

Mar 15, 2012
  6. Lexx

Lexx Lived Through the Heat Death

Apr 24, 2005
    "Pure coincidence" so lol.

PS: Using that first screenshot as poof is not free of bullshit either. It's a big empty vault hall... they all look nearly the same. The other screenshots / bits are way more believable.

• [Like] [Like] x 2
  7. Risewild

Risewild Vault Fossil
    Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    I have very little memories of Fallout 4 these days. A much worst than average memory sometimes is a blessing.
    Does all the vaults in FO4 have an open vault hall with a catwalk we can walk on and see the hall? In FO3 they didn't, and I can't really remember how vaults in FO4 are usually designed. :confused:
    This is an actual question, I really can't remember. And being a curious person I always ask when I am interested in stuff.

8. Hassknecht

Hassknecht For hate's sake Admin Orderite

Aug 16, 2010
    • [Like] [Like] x 4
  9. Lexx

Lexx Lived Through the Heat Death

Apr 24, 2005
    Played the POS for only a few hours, so I have no idea- still, the setup is easily recreated and open areas with catwalk are a thing even in Fo3 / FNV. So that bit *can* actually be a coincidence. The rest... not so much.

• [Like] [Like] x 2
  10. Earth

Earth Vault Senior Citizen

Apr 7, 2013
    There's no way to prevent stuff like this happening is there?

Can't wait for Fallout 4: The Frontier... Ah I mean Fallout 4: The Siege, which will not in anyway rip off anything from Fallout New Vegas: The Frontier at all.

11. Proletären

Proletären It Wandered In From the Wastes

Mar 15, 2012
  12. Mr Fish

Mr Fish ...I Remember...

Sep 11, 2010
  13. Money4U

Money4U First time out of the vault

Oct 22, 2015
    Oh boy... Beth and their ''Bethdrones'' lol
    Basically they can stole mod ideas and tell everyone that this is just ''coincidence''. This explains CK EULA more...

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  14. Risewild

Risewild Vault Fossil
    Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    I like how they don't even read the article and just go "LOL Just because it has robots in a vault does not mean it was a stolen idea!", or "Pete Hines say it's a coincidence. So it is a coincidence.".

15. Lucas9

Lucas9 It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jan 16, 2016
    I have never felt so much hatred for Reddit's Fallout section until now. People downvoting EVERYONE who believes Bethesda stole the mod, some even thinking it's perfectly fine for Bethesda to steal people's ideas just because they own the content of the mod.

It's official. The Fallout fanbase is retarded on the premise of over 51% of it being retarded.

• [Like] [Like] x 8
  16. Radiosity

Radiosity Writiosity

Sep 9, 2015
    Pete Hines: "I took a look and it's totally coincidence, guys. You can trust me. Honest. I don't have a stake in this at all."

This is equivalent to a murderer taking a look at the body and telling the police, "Well, I took a look at the evidence and it's pure coincidence. I can go now, right?"

• [Like] [Like] x 7
  17. erich van loon

erich van loon Polish Winged Hussar

May 23, 2016
    Why isn't this, something news worthy, not on the news? Instead, they rant about Pokemon GO.

18. Black Angel

Black Angel Grand Inquisitor of the Ordo Hereticus

Mar 21, 2016
    From what I've heard, William Shen is the Lead Designer for Far Harbor. He should be the one we contact about this. Fuck Pete Hines, the guy should just shut the fuck up, and Bethesda should give us Emil and William to contact instead.

19. Risewild

Risewild Vault Fossil
    Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    POKEMON! That is something Bethesda needs to steal for the next Fallout game! Train your radioactive Nukachu and battle other wasteland trainers!

• [Like] [Like] x 4
  20. erich van loon

erich van loon Polish Winged Hussar

May 23, 2016
    There goes my sanity. Like I had any to begin with. evil laughter