Fallout 1 mod Fallout Fixt - 0.81alpha, July 5th 2015

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by Sduibek, Dec 15, 2010.

1. RyanFialcowitz

RyanFialcowitz First time out of the vault

Jul 30, 2005
    My guess would be that since the vanilla game didn't allow Ian or Tycho to use energy weapons neither of them have it tagged and thus the skill is probably lower then the other combat skills. Thus, they're going with the weapons they know how to use well. Katja does have it tagged apparently so you might have better luck with her.

Would it be possible with Fixt to implement some way of seeing your companions character sheets in game?

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  2. azat11

azat11 First time out of the vault

Jun 16, 2017
    Thanks. Seems so.
    I'll try Katja, haven't reached her yet.
    UPD: It turns out companions can't use even the .223 unique pistol, which they totally should be able to. That's just saying that "use any weapons" feature of FIXT does not work properly.

I have a question regarding the quest to kill the regulators.
    If I go and let Zimmerman listen to the regulator transmissions he gets killed on the spot. If I intervene at that point and kill the regulator that kills him, he then continues to attack the regulators. But after that fight is done and combat ended (all regulators killed or not) – he simply attacks me out of the blue.
    Is this due to some hardcoded values of him being "allied" to the regulators? Can this be fixed?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    • [Like] [Like] x 1
  3. Sduibek

Sduibek My dream job: modding Moderator Modder

Oct 27, 2010
    @azat11 @RyanFialcowitz Based on how the engine works, I'm thinking it might just be due to their Energy Weapons skill being too low. AI will ignore weapons when their skill in that weapon has too low of a To-Hit% in combat to be useful. Regarding the 223 rifle though maybe just the graphics file is missing due to a mistake on my part, because they def should have sufficient skill in Small Guns.

I like the idea of being able to see their exact weapon skills. I don't think even the Fo2 engine displays those explicitly; I could add an option to display them in the dialog.

The stuff with Jon Z is scripted; he's supposed to die depending on what route you take.

Please add all of these to: http://falloutmods.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Fixt_bug_reports :)

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  4. Spastic

Spastic First time out of the vault

Jul 9, 2017
    First off thanks for making this wonderful mod, secondly i haven't been able to find Neil or do the "find the children spy in the followers" quest properly. NPCs keep on suggesting that Neil is at the base, but he's never there. Some help would be appreciated and if Neil was never in the fallout fixt 0.81 version to begin with, then do you have plans to add him back in along with the train the followers in the ways of war quest?
    Edit: I forgot to update this comment, sorry, I found the answer after going through this blog

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  5. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    If you Google-search for the quest you can find the info you seek ;)
    you wanna find Heather; if she's not around, it's because I made a mistake in 0.81 release :(

6. azat11

Jun 16, 2017
    @Sduibek Can I edit those companion skills and maybe even add missing ones somehow? I suppose that's not gonna be easy. Still, maybe there is some simple way to do that, an editor perhaps.

7. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    To have those skills from the start, you have to edit the actual .PRO files in DATA/PROTO/CRITTERS, or use a savegame editor as you mentioned.

However, it will be easy to add an option in the next release to change and/or raise companion skills. Remind me which ones you would personally change besides Energy Weapons? According to the equation at http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Energy_Weapons , this skill for companions by default would be roughly 15-17%. lol. I have just confirmed this in their .PRO files as well.

Edit: Here is what the NPC Mod currently gives them. I have not changed these values from the TeamX NPC Mod values. First +num is NPC Level 2, next +num is NPC Level 3. Also, while checking this I noticed TeamX changed some of their SPECIAL stats and starting skill values, and it's not mentioned in their readme. Huh. So I'll fix that in the next release.

TYCHO- Receives on reaching level 2 / 3 respectively: +20/+15 Small Guns, +5/+5 Unarmed, +10/+15 Melee Weapons
    KATJA- Receives on reaching level 2 / 3 respectively: +5/+5 Small Guns, +5/+5 Unarmed, +10/+10 Melee Weapons, +20/+15 Throwing
    IAN- Receives on reaching level 2 / 3 respectively: +20/+15 Small Guns, +10/+10 Unarmed, +5/+5 Melee Weapons

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  8. azat11

Jun 16, 2017
    I prefer companions using ranged weapons, so I'd probably decrease Melee, Unarmed and Throwing (Katja has Energy Weapons tagged (only 56% according to Fallout wiki), but still does not use them, preferring these skills instead), and increase the only three relevant for me skills in companions – Small Guns, Big Guns and Energy Weapons.

Can I edit these somehow in a savegame, I mean can these be changed in the middle of a playthrough? Is there an editor for this?
    I'd want to change them right now in my playthrough, otherwise companions are made irrelevant cause they can't deal enough damage and only get themselves overexposed and killed, whereas I can sneakily pick off enemies alone without a problem.

9. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Oh crap I forgot about Big Guns; good point. According to the data files, they start with less than 20% in Big Guns & Energy Weapons.

I can make a quick script to bump the skills up. That would actually be neat; I can release it as an Add-on like I did with the Restored Endings Add-on :) [http://www.moddb.com/games/fallout/addons/restore-good-endings-for-the-hub-and-followers]

Let me know what % you think is fair. Choose wisely; if you go too low or too high, the entire Internet will hold it against you! :evil::razz:

Also remember if you have the NPC Mod they can level up twice. So presumably the skills could start just a bit higher to begin with, then get a decent bump each levelup.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  10. azat11

Jun 16, 2017
    @Sduibek What are companions skills % with the NPC mod? Because on this page it actually is 0% Energy Weapons for Katja, when in Fallout wiki she has 56% – http://falloutmods.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_NPC_Mod

Would this Add-on you want to make work only in a new game, or for a started game too?

Considering Small Guns gets bumped up on a level up, I guess starting values for companions (from FO wiki) for this skill are good. I'd put Big Guns and Energy Weapons around 75-80% for all of them. Of course it'd be good for these two skills to be bumped up at level up too, then they could be lower in the beginning, but that probably requires more work.

And you want to make those values fixed, rather than choosing them on installation of your Add-on, correct?

P.S. Can I check companion levels somehow? Because I think Tycho isn't leveling up for some reason, and I'd wanna make sure.

11. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    I will add some installer options for hirelings regarding Energy Weapons / Big Guns and levelups. But yeah the stat changes NPC Mod made to their base stats before leveling up (small changes to their skill% and SPECIAL stats) I will just fix because those shouldn't have been changed and weren't documented anywhere except for the page you linked.

Speaking of which, their stats/skills don't match http://falloutmods.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_NPC_Mod either, so that wiki page is quite wrong.

I can also add an option to Fixt and the standalone NPC addon to display their skill % and levels. Will keep you posted :)

Their skills besides tagged skills in the game itself match normal skill formulas, which is why they all have EW & BG of 16% or less.

12. gustarballs1983

gustarballs1983 -Level 99 in Fallout Fixt-

Oct 28, 2009
    @Sduibek
    Man just don't forget the modded NPC files I've sent you via email (after You requesting them in another thread). All human party NPC have HP boost equal to what each of your party npc's would've gain after 4 levels evry level. (they get one lvl each 4 of players so why not pretend that they've gained 4 levels at once) It's based on game HP/lvl formula and their endurance. Additionally most of their skills is set to 200%. As I've stated in the email I could in theory work with their skills so that they would be back to vanilla on their base lvl and their total skill boost each lvlup would be equal to 4x skillpoints/lvl based on their intelligence (but i would work only on can wear armor& change appearance +all weapon animations proto files, because i see no point in doing this for anything else).
    Besides the only point in playing this way with Party NPC's is to have CombatControl=2
    option set in sfall so that player gets to control what his minions do in combat.
    The best way to do this is with Sfall 1.7.6 for fallout 1 made by Crafty wich is a lot newer Sfall than the one used by default in FIXT 0.81a

and @Sduibek
    I also hope You'll Upgrade Your 7z executable for the installer as my antivirus software claims the one You used is vulnerable to stack overflow or something and that it should be updated to the newest one there is asap. and so I did but I'm not sure everyone else is aware of this issue.

13. azat11

Jun 16, 2017
    Is this enabled by default in Fixt?

14. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    No it's not enabled by default

15. azat11

Jun 16, 2017
    Can it be enabled only for a new game?
    And what options does it open up? Maybe a link where I can read about this, please.

16. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    You can enable it at any time in ddraw.ini along with various other things :)

I don't have much info about that specific feature because I never use it

17. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Thanks! I will make sure to look into this for the next release. Apologies for the silence, I don't check that email very often. Only so much time :#

Could you be more specific? Are you talking about an actual .7z file for a patch version or one of the .exe installer files?

My old computer had a super-old version of 7-Zip on it so that's probably what you're encountering. I have a new computer and update programs so that won't be an issue now. But the .exe files definitely shouldn't be giving that kind of error.

Also where is the ddraw/Sfall Sfall 1.7.6 you're talking about? That doesn't exist. Crafty's most recent version came out just a few weeks after Fixt 0.81a came out, and it's version 1.4: https://github.com/Ytfarc/sfall1/blob/master/Changelog_en.txt

18. gustarballs1983

gustarballs1983 -Level 99 in Fallout Fixt-

Oct 28, 2009
    Be sure to use 16.04 version of 7z or later as earlier release has a vulnerability that allows a hacker to use it in malicious ways at least that's what my AV states when i run vulnerability scan.

as for the sfall 1.7.6 it *does* exist. just check out dobrovik's archive /sfall/crafty's sfall/ and download the sfall1 with most recent upload date of 2016-08-04:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/2aheaguwymint/Welcome_to_Fallout_Database#90f9mvf3fdrpo

Just a reminder i have no way of reading cyrylic font on my pc although i know russian a bit the untranslated parts are not in russian but what looks to me as a freak accident when converting cyrylic to latin alphabet in .txt file so Your only hope in translating the untranslated parts from the changelog would be a russian person who knows english

19. azat11

Jun 16, 2017
    I can help out if that will be needed :)

20. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Nice! To the best of my knowledge @Drobovik has been doing translations for Crafty's work/readmes.