Fallout 1 mod Fallout Fixt - 0.81alpha, July 5th 2015

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by Sduibek, Dec 15, 2010.

1. gustarballs1983

gustarballs1983 -Level 99 in Fallout Fixt-

Oct 28, 2009
    @burn
    You seriously have to refresh Your memory on this. For Fallout 2 yellow outlined NPC's are not neutral but out of visual range (like behind or wall or something). Recently via sfall option the same case is for Fo1 too. However non-hostile, non-player-party non-player-team & in-visual-range are outlined the same as hostiles/enemies (animated red), wich i think might be misleading. At least for those young kiddies with ADHD and attention problems trying their hands on older fallouts. It might ruin their experience while playing the game and potentially ruin game reputation amongst younger generations. Just my 3 cents.

EDIT: I'm not talking about myself ofcourse, however the above is a thing to consider.

EDIT2: this option should hit Sfall for Fo2 too, because as of now Fo1 with sfall functions pretty similar to fo2. A non-hostile non-party non-allie & within visual range are outlined same way as enemies in fo2 *as well*

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  2. Sduibek

Sduibek My dream job: modding Moderator Modder

Oct 27, 2010
    @burn What's going on with Crafty these days anyhow? I hope they are doing well. Their work on sfall/ddraw for Fo1 is simply amazing. :notworthy:

3. gustarballs1983

Oct 28, 2009
    @Sduibek
    How's the progress on FIXT 0.90 coming? Are You working on Fixt or did the nasty Real Life got you busy. Anyway How's Life treating you lately.
    Did You had a chance to test teamx's FixIt mod wether it works in Fallout 1 engine? Or maybe an upgraded version by Phobos2077? Those extra Hardned Power Armors and Turbo Plasma Rifles could come in handy, for my 3cent addition to teamX's NPC mod.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2017
  4. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Progress on Fixt goes. Building the in-game customizations "dialog" tree is super boring but I'm looking forward to the end result.

Life outside of Fixt is going OK. Thanks for asking :)

tbh I don't have plans for FixIt until we've moved to FO2 engine, but adding option to get more HPA & TPR for hirelings won't be hard.

5. gustarballs1983

Oct 28, 2009
    It's a pitty that Fo1 engine ain't going to get FixIt, but i would sure apreciate any method of gearing my party up for Cathedral and MB besides cheating obviously.

Anyway thanks for the info.

EDIT: W8 did somebody edited my prevous post without my knowledge?.. it says it's been edited by moderator?!

6. burn

burn Look, Ma! Two Heads!
    Modder

Apr 22, 2012
    Crafty is lurking somewhere there, as usual.
    Why doing the customizations in-game, anyway?

7. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    lol fair enough, thanks.

Customizations in-game is so the installer list of customizations doesn't get insanely huge, also, some folks will want to change their mind about certain things between plays and having to completely reinstall Fixt for that is kinda lame.

8. burn

Modder

Apr 22, 2012
    You can use an ini file.

9. Matt Drax

Matt Drax Smart Ass

Sep 4, 2010
    Not if he wants to add options that that can be toggeled in the middle of a running game, that gets ugly REAL fast with savegames. Because if you would go with that approach you would need to upgrade files/pointers/etc all manually instead of letting a script do that.
    An approach like fe. the debug menu for things that DO work ingame will work fine and is convenient ^^

10. burn

Modder

Apr 22, 2012
    What is a dialog if not a script, you think?

11. Matt Drax

Matt Drax Smart Ass

Sep 4, 2010
    Kinda, but NOT an ini File :^

12. Pwener

Pwener Tunnelers? They Don't Sound That Tough...

Aug 15, 2017
    Hello everyone, new member here. I recently just started playing Fallout 1/2 for the first time (played Fallout 1 years ago with Fixt but only made it as far as solving the Water Chip issue before my piece of garbage PC passed away).

Well, I have an issue with Fixt and the Game Help section said to come here if it's mod related. Honestly I don't know if this is really a bug or what the hell it is. The mod runs great even on my android device using Exagear RPG but the issue lies in a dialogue option Fixt adds to a character in the LA Boneyard. I checked the vanilla version and indeed confirmed it was a dialogue line that Fixt adds. And it must be Fixt because I'm not using any other alterations to the directory.

When I select this dialogue option Fixt adds; "Is there something else I should know?" with a female character named Christine next to her husband in the first room of the Blades compound an exchange that would make No-bark Noonan blush takes place (It sounds like Cold War Era spy code to me).

Again, I'm new, if posting pictures like this is FORBIDDEN (in my best Dr. Mobius voice) please let me know and I'll take them down.

Screenshot_20170815-075957.png
    Screenshot_20170815-080002.png
    Screenshot_20170815-080006.png

I have the nagging feeling that this is just too weirdly specific to be a bug but nevertheless I'd like to remove it. Sadly I lack the proper program to open up the dialogue files in the Fixt folder and honestly there's just too many as well.

If someone could point me to the program necessary to open dialogue files or just tell me which file adds this so I can take it out I'd appreciate it.

Mandatory Technical Jargon: I'm running Fallout on the Exagear RPG App for Android and running Fallout 1 GOG version with the latest Fixt (Full Custom) downloaded from this thread.

Thanks in advance for whatever aid this wary soul is given and I hope to spend some quality time here with fellow classic Fallout lovers.

13. Matt Drax

Matt Drax Smart Ass

Sep 4, 2010
    That is not a bug or something that Fixt added, it's a vanilla easter egg/children limerick/nonsense rhyme all along, see http://fallout.gamepedia.com/Christine_(Blades)
    And all the text files are in /data/text/english/dialog/ in seperate .msg files, just open with notepad(++), in this case BYCHRIS.MSG

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  14. Pwener

Pwener Tunnelers? They Don't Sound That Tough...

Aug 15, 2017
    Interesting, I checked with the vanilla version and nothing showed up (weird). But it's there in the wiki so I won't argue it. Thanks for setting me straight on this and telling where to go to "fix" it.

I knew it had to be something deliberate. My suspicion was true.

UPDATE: Was able to "fix" it succesfully. I was originally unable to open the dialogue files because it tried opening them by default in Microsoft Outlook. Went to properties and changed it to Notepad and BAM! I'm in business.
    Thanks man and I appreciate you telling me where to find the file especially.

Screenshot_20170815-130523.png Screenshot_20170815-130529.png

New question related to Fixt to justify this edit...

How do I activate Lorri's "seduction" dialogue? I was hasitant to activate this option the previous two times I installed Fixt in case it contained anything lore-breaky or lewd but I had an issue after finishing Fallout 1 for the first time (can't remember what it was) and had to reinstall a third time so I decided to mess around with extra stuff. But her so called "new dialogue" doesn't show up. Is there some kind of trigger? Is it just a broken addition that was left unfinished and the mod author never bothered to remove it from the installation?

Again, I'm running the latest Full Custom version of Fixt.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  15. gustarballs1983

Oct 28, 2009
    I Know it's annoying as hell that cheaters and/or characters with 10 charisma chosen during creation can't get the option to have sex with Lorri as this option is available after two conditions are met:
    -Lorri has charisma operations enabled in the installer + must upgrade charisma from 9 to 10 as only at charisma 10 she wil be lustfull for you (after that the option to have sex with her is normally available from the dialog)

now I don't know wether it's a bug or not that a cha 10 character can't screw her without performing the operation but it *is* annoying as hell.

anyway @Sduibek

I've played some more today and found out that sfall 1.7.6 for Fo1 by crafty does not change the colour of npc floating thext. as evryone in the hub floats in red. (and I remember at least Lorenzo's guards were floating normal colour) polcie officers and beth float all in red coloured text, wich i remember You've fixed the case and it worked back in the old sfall version. Since the start and up to brotherhood of the steel i had only one crash wich is good (it happened twice in a row straight after loading game when traveling from Junktown to Hub but third time and anytime afterwards it was fine so i have no idea what caused this)

16. burn

Modder

Apr 22, 2012
    It's not a kinda, it's literally a script. And it does not matter which way are you setting variables, in-game or ini, the underlying mechanics will work the same way.

17. Matt Drax

Matt Drax Smart Ass

Sep 4, 2010
    I suppose you're talking generally about such a case, because the Fallout Engine internally has exactly ONE place where it reads and sets variables from at intializing: vault13.gam.
    Which then gets binary intergrated into the savegame file. Afterwards it never reads the initial file again and uses the processed file from the savegame.
    So when you change anything in the initial file it wouldn't change anything in your savegame at all since it's not set there also, that's why you would need an active script to change it in the live savegame context.

If you would write a custom sfall plugin for that you could ofc save your initial options whereever you want, but would still need a mediator script to integrate/change the options in the live enviroment.
    You could ofc simply make a direct memory hook and directly overwrite so that you would not need an extra script, but then don't come crying about broken savegames when something goes wrong^^ There is a reason some things are better left handled through the engine itself.

That said, I REALLY wish someone would make a solid open source rewrite of the engine with a modern editor and internal handlings (or something "simpler" like a basic import to other engines, fife comes to mind), and no, I don't count fonline as such :^

Edit: Fucking touchscreen keyboards

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    • [Like] [Like] x 1
  18. burn

Modder

Apr 22, 2012
    No, I'm talking about an ini file, which is read by a script. An approach like that is used by many mods.
    Although, coming to think of it, I'm not sure if it's available in sfall1, or only sfall2... And sfall1 doesn't have any docs nor sources.

As for an open source rewrite, there's falltergeist in progress, you can contribute if you want.

19. QweSteR

QweSteR First time out of the vault

Jan 5, 2008
  20. Mr. Deathclaw

Mr. Deathclaw First time out of the vault

Saturday
    Hey guys, ANOTHER new member here, haha. This was mentioned awhile ago, although I'm not sure it was every fixed (or finished), and I looked through the changelogs and I don't recall it is in there (unless I carelessly missed it). This isn't even a BIG problem, but still one that slightly bothers me, nonetheless, as I am a bit of a completionist. ANYWAY, the bug or problem or whatever is that I am unable to watch Thomas the trainer in the BOS Bunker, well, train his recruits which will end in me getting a small boost to unarmed/melee as well as some XP. I'm not sure if this was a Vanilla flaw or a FIXT bug, but I'm guessing I'm not able to receive the training because I immediately went to the lower levels of the bunker upon FIRST entering the whole bunker itself, rather than receiving the training first. Now that I think about it, this is probably my fault, but I was wondering if there was a way to maybe "reset" Thomas's script for the training or maybe try resetting the map for the First level of the bunker? Much appreciated:nod: