Fallout 1 mod Fallout Fixt - v0.90beta is being worked on! (Jan 2019)

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by Sduibek, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Foxx

Foxx Russian Modder

Oct 31, 2017
    In NPC scripts that follow the player, there is a line: party_add(self_obj);
    ZARK doesn't have it.

The Cathedral was carved out of a possible partner is a mutant: https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Rae
    I restored it in my Russian Assembly:

• [Rad] [Rad] x 3
  2. badon

badon First time out of the vault

Jun 8, 2018
    It's already configured automatically, and it appears to be correct. It's set to whatever I set it at. It's not set to 640x480, but that's the resolution the game is at. Current settings:

; Set GRAPHICS_MODE=0 to enable Basic mode which supports resolution change only.
    ; Set GRAPHICS_MODE=1 to enable Direct Draw 7 mode.
    ; Set GRAPHICS_MODE=2 to enable DirectX9 mode.
    GRAPHICS_MODE=2
    ; Set SCALE_2X=1 to scale the game x2.
    ; Note: This will increase the minimum resolution to from 640x480 to 1280x960.
    SCALE_2X=0
    ; Set the Fullscreen resolution here.
    SCR_WIDTH=1280
    SCR_HEIGHT=720
    ; Set the Fullscreen colors here.
    ; 8 for 8bit color output (original)
    ; 16 for 16bit color output (set only if you're not using Sfall with graphics modes 4 or 5)
    ; 32 for 32bit color output (set only if you're not using Sfall with graphics modes 4 or 5)
    COLOUR_BITS=16
    ; Set the Fullscreen refresh rate here.
    ; Set REFRESH_RATE=0 for driver default.
    REFRESH_RATE=0
    ; Set WINDOWED=1 to enable windowed mode.
    WINDOWED=1

Again, resolution settings in the GOG version work fine without Fixt. It's only the Fixt resolution that doesn't work. I don't know what is different.

3. gustarballs1983

gustarballs1983 Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Oct 28, 2009
    I meant that line i mentioned earlier needs to be edited in order to change resolution, However it apears as if FalloutW.exe from fixt is not compatible with HRP from GOG Launcher, or GOG Launcher is not compatible with HRP from FIXT.

@Foxx
    I've read somwhere that Zark party support was cut by some patch or perhaps something incorporated into FIXT, otherwhise why two wikis would say that Zark can temproarliy join player?

4. Foxx

Foxx Russian Modder

Oct 31, 2017
    I don't know, maybe because of the texts in msg. There are still many inaccuracies in the Wiki. Maybe somewhere there is a substitution of its real script import variable;
    I'm original 1.02 with a cheat character, could not join.

5. naossano

naossano So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Oct 19, 2006
    I never knew about Zark. Thanks for the update.

6. gustarballs1983

Oct 28, 2009
    @Muttie

add on bugs patched up

Previous post updated with never version as well.

@ all

Now I'm on to Merchant barter skill.

My internal testing provided info that prices don't scale up infinetely in Fo1. Merchant can have a price increase of only 10x initial value so a 100$ stimpack can cost up to 1000$ and metal armor for initial 1100$ can be max priced at 11000$. and very little skill increse changes the price dramatically at maximum item values and almost nothing changes after medicore skill investment.
    If Merchant is given max barter of 200% than only around 80-90 skill points is nessecary for the player to reach 100% item value. above that and you sell for more than you buy said item so for example a 100$ stimpack woul cost below 100$ and can go as low as 33$. charisma modifiers do not work it only counts as low barter skill increase (at least for Killian Darkwater). Mrs.Stampleton at 200% barter holds up at 10x value cap a while longer and if one invest skill points price still remains 10x value intill you hit a breakpoint at which it starts to dramatically drop from like 1000$ to 909$ after a single skillpoint put in barter.

Conclusion
    In order to fix trade in fallout 1 one would have to change price formula as:
    1. item price changes per skillpoint cannot be that dramatic at low values
    2. there is very little usefull barter range of about 135% barter between you and merchant to be usefull for trading because above that range prices don't change until you hit barter breakpoint by investing in barter skill and below that range after like 90 points spent in barter prices drop below 100% item value which i think is lame.

So without smeone knowledgable in scripting show up to fix this trading formula Fo1 trading will be down someone's colon.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  7. Foxx

Foxx Russian Modder

Oct 31, 2017
    Some traders barter through the dialogue/script is running (discounts/surcharges) and edit proto, it is possible to get any worse.

8. Muttie

Muttie It Wandered In From the Wastes

Oct 9, 2017
    Three Points:
    - There was a misunderstanding. I wasn't sure if you wanted to roll all back to vanilla (some was, some wasn't), so I pointed out that the test version of Fixt (1.0) gave Mr.Handy AG 9. And that that is an option. However, in vanilla it is AG 6 & AC 16 (6+10). If you want to go with vanilla that's the numbers you have to use.

- When fixing Katja's AC (302) it appears you have added an error. All her bonuses have changed to that of Mr.Handy.

- And a (possible) bug I've discovered while doing the spreadsheet is that Katja on stage 3 (all of them) have 10 (8+2) AP. That's from Fixt, and as most is rolled back to vanilla, this is probably an oversight and not intended (i.e. I assume that all her stages should have 9 (8+1) AP).

Here is a spreadsheet with your changes: http://www.filedropper.com/falloutcompanionstatsforfixtnpcaddon

Having it all at one glance should be helpful. I also added the original versions (1.35 and Fixt 0.81) for comparison. So people can get a better idea of what it does and if it makes sense etc.

I assumed the three points above are bugs and I've already included them.

Rules & Creative Design
    Going by a rule is a very good way to keep structure and automatic balance. But you shouldn't be ruled by it. That way you lose your creative abilities, and the option to fix the rules should they stop working. It's a balance act.

I like the idea of basing it on a system (EN & IN), it helps to keep it reasonable, but it is only a foundation. Looking at the numbers it seems Ian's Small Guns comes out too short (he should be the best shot, but Katja eventually overtakes him). To me that suggests that he should end up over Katja (at 125%) and it is strange that he doesn't improve on stage 3 at all (small guns & big guns), but is significantly better at S.Guns than anyone else on stage 2. From that perspective there could be a better spread of his points. Even if it breaks the rules. My instinct is to give him Small Guns (85, 105 or 110, 125) and Big Guns (60, 75, 90). if you wan't to keep balance you may reduce Energy Weapons to 85 (make him better with the .223 while Tycho & Katja focus on Energy).

Same with Katja's HP. The amount of HP the system gives her can be considered too low, and perhaps it is better to break the system, and give her a few more HP, then live with the system's quirks.

I would consider 40, 60, 80 as the minimum. But her HP could also cap at 40, 55, 75 HP. That would keep the visual distinction that she has the lowest HP of all characters (i.e. maintain background). It's just a small amount anyway, but the whole original design of Katja is flawed (melee focused, last to level, low HP) and I feel it needs addressing.

Power Armour
    Breaking into the BoS armoury can not be considered part of a normal play-through. That is extreme min-maxing. There is no hint or clue that the player can find more power armours in there. Nor is there a prompt to break in there. Nor is it obvious to increase Sneak and Lockpick to do so. Most new players will completely miss that option. And what about lawful characters who don't want to steal from BoS?
    All those would be screwed when the design expects them to steal from BoS and get 4 sets of PA. That's not good.
    Getting a second power armour is already min-maxing. Originally the player is supposed to have only one: either lawfully (Talus) or through ill-means (Kyle).
    I think it's very problematic to assume a very advanced and specific meta to be the norm. Especially as this will never apply to new players.
    For this reasons companions must be balanced based on wearing Combat Armour. That's how it will normally play out.

Besides, buying Power Armour may make no sense background wise. The BoS is very protective regarding their gear, I'm not sure they would sell it. The armour is rather earned (Talus quest). And you would need to find some scoundrel (like Kyle) to get more sets. In fact, that's how the player gets the second one.

Consequently, I don't see much options to balance companions based on 4 sets of Power Armour. But the basic design probably has to be: 1 PA and the rest in Combat Armour.

9. gustarballs1983

Oct 28, 2009
    @Muttie

The Idea Behind Power Armor buyout was to implement a lot more quests to brotherhood like wipe out vipers and jackals. Read somwhere that one of those gangs was sepose to be a really tough bunch using combat armors and heavy weapons, while fewer in numbers. The idea was to implement karmic title system "BoS rank", but with Fo1 BoS ranks not tactics ones, and Player after achieving rank of Palladin or Senior Palladin could acces the armory by simply asking to enter (as normally Brotherhood does), *or* after certain rank allow to trade with brotherhood at 10x nominal price, and BoS *not* accepting bottle caps. However stuff would have to wait for engine conversion since adding new maps to world map is hardcoded in Fo1 same way as karmic titles.

Perhaps another way to enter armory would be simply to dress in power armor and ditch all non Power Armor wearing companions outside the bunker, and fool the gate guards You are permitted to enter (saying You are high rank Palladin + perhaps tossing a name of one) (just like ghoul bunker in Fo1.5 Ressurection disguise and bullshit them). If NPC wears PA or HPA he/she could enter too.
    Maybe adding a line in Tycho's "any recommendations.." dialogue tree line about it while in Bos bunker.
    And Yes I do belive that design of getting into the armory by picking the lock at guard's face is dumb.

Besides why would Sduibek modify Smitty and Miles to make more of their stuff if party PA was not intended to be end game optimal? I mean during vanilla playthrough you still could get a second turboplasma (super mutant in cathedreal room with nuke has it)

As for the NPC mod Katja's 10ap at final stage was intended as a blend between single vanilla proto and TeamX's v1,35 protos it's 9 AP vs. 10AP so i figured it would be ok'ish to have her upgrade +1AP to make her shoot 2x per turn instead of one shot per turn (the only "no difference" beeing turboplasma).

As for Katja 302 proto i don't know what happend the damn cubik2k's editor always threw out errors when marking this proto, so i have no idea how did it recive Mr.Handy's stats. As for Mr.Handy itself You mentioned his stats changed in FIXT so i had no idea what You expected from this add-on, hence following your suggestions.

Hell.. Since You're so vocal about all of those changes, why don't You take it from here... I'm tiered of working on this anyway and also unfortuneatly real life is getting hard on me lately (very little time for myself lately). So If Yo're up to it I can pass it over to You. Just mention me in the credits and it'll be fine.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  10. badon

badon First time out of the vault

Jun 8, 2018
    If I start it without GOG's launcher, it still does not work. I'm guessing it's a bug in Fixt? Technically, a regression, maybe?

11. gustarballs1983

Oct 28, 2009
    Perhaps You have double resolution settings enabled?
    Try to disable resolution on ddraw.ini :

;If using a dx9 mode, this changes the resolution
    ;The graphics are simply stretched to fit the new window; this does _not_ let you see more of the map
    ;If set to 0, use fallout's native resolution
    GraphicsWidth=0
    GraphicsHeight=0

try to set it to zero's, so that ddraw.dll does not mess with the resolution. As I said earlier some settings in ddaw.ini/ddraw.dll (a.k.a sfall) are incompatible with High-Res Patch F1_res.ini/F1_res.dll (a.k.a HRP). the difference in resolution settings between ddraw.dll and F1_res.dll are that F1res.dll let's you see more of the map and ddraw.dll only streches the image.

Last option would be you've messed around with "F1_res Config.exe"
    F1_res_Enabled.jpg F1_res_Disabled.jpg

When done press "Done"

@Sduibek
    I've seen You've Joined "kochegarov" forum site to contact Crafty..
    Could You please ask Him to add global scripts support to sfall1?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  12. Foxx

Foxx Russian Modder

Oct 31, 2017
    This proposal was submitted more than a year ago. This is not feasible at the moment.

13. Sduibek

Sduibek Creator of Fallout Fixt Moderator Modder

Oct 27, 2010
    Apologies for the silence ,seasonal allergies have been hitting me hard during the past month. It must be causing inflammation too because my joints are hurting and tinnitus increased.

Most weekends I just watched TV all day due to exhaustion. I even skipped the gym for two consecutive weeks whereas I normally go 5 to 7 days a week.

The good news is I'm working with my doctor and an allergist to figure this out so hopefully I'll have a new batch of test files sooner rather than later.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  14. RyanFialcowitz

RyanFialcowitz It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jul 30, 2005
    Glad to hear you're okay- do you still want the Fallout 1 Appearance Mod files?

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  15. Risewild

Risewild Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    Hope you get well soon.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  16. gustarballs1983

Oct 28, 2009
    @Sduibek
    which one is it? did you do any tests on allergy?
    Actually I'm currnently going through allergy myself.. hazelnut tree is releasing pollen. It's sepose to start from second half of february according to pollen calendar and last about a month. This allergy is not so bad for me yet, the worst one starts from second half of april to half of may birch-tree is releasing pollen then. actually I'm unaware of total stuff that I'm allergic to but it's related to the way of tree releases pollen. I'm heavily allergic to all trees that release pollen from a yellow dick-like shaped cone strings that hang down. that means: hazelnut tree, birch tree, poplar, and suprisingly alder, acacia and pine .

However I'm using anti-histamine (antiallergy) medicine based on "Bilastinum" and it helps a lot. I have no cough, and runny nose seemes to be limited, when inddoors it vanishes completely.

Influenza or other types of bacteria/viral illness that comes with allergy is usually tied to phlegm that generates in the lungs during pollen activity. bacteria/viruses feast on it and become strong enaugh to perform a full scale attack on weakend organism.

My advice: go to Allergologist let him/her perform tests what are you allergic to (both ingestible and environment ) and get a perscription for antiallergic medicine of newest generation (such as Bilastine/Clatra). As earlier generations cause dizziness and tend not to go well with other medicine you may or may not take.

EDIT:

As for tests postpone them to a time where You're free from allergy symptoms as only then the tests will come out correctly. As for antiallergic medicine get it ASAP.

basically you may refer to this:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catkin
    as a pamphlet regarding similar allergies

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  17. Sduibek

Sduibek Creator of Fallout Fixt Moderator Modder

Oct 27, 2010
    Thanks! And yes please.

18. RyanFialcowitz

RyanFialcowitz It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jul 30, 2005
    • [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  19. Oppen

Oppen FIXT n°1 fan

Dec 26, 2011
    Hi, I know this thread is not for this, but I couldn't find the old one. Are there any news on running FO1 on FO2 engine?

20. Foxx

Foxx Russian Modder

Oct 31, 2017
    In the theme there is no message, but they say the work goes on. No one is asking for help, and I question the design. Although I was told that everything is fine)))

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1