Fallout 1 mod Fallout Fixt - v0.90beta is being worked on! (Jan 2019)

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by Sduibek, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Oppen

Oppen FIXT n°1 fan

Dec 26, 2011
    Well, I use Linux every day since a few years ago. Aware of case sensitive issues, but always used 'native' (i.e., tar and stand-alone compressors), never things like self-extract.

2. dozen

dozen First time out of the vault

Jul 22, 2011
    Those tools have their own ways to deal with case-insensitivity, you just have to be aware of them, yes. Or if you didn't use those mechanisms, you were indeed very lucky to not encounter any bugs. For example, I've encountered lots and lots of them trying to make installation of certain Baldur's Gate mods native for Linux, all the tools seem to work fine... but the game just don't work properly, crashes and has lots of graphical glitches, all this magically disappers if you use C-I filesystem instead.

3. Oppen

Oppen FIXT n°1 fan

Dec 26, 2011
    Now that I think about it, I always gamed on Windows, except for Life is Strange and Telltale episodic titles, which run flawlessly on WINE, and Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition, which IIRC has a native Linux client. That's pretty much the only reason I ever boot Windows.
    Generally, having this double boot setup, I try it on Linux but don't invest too much time on getting it to work if it doesn't OOB.

4. naossano

naossano So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Oct 19, 2006
    Not an expert on other operating systems, but i got the impression from the RP installation guide on the wikia that the installation itself was easy with wine, but choosing the right settings afterward was less easy (a step that doesn't depend on the initial installation), but i guess we need Mac\Linux\Android experts to help us write down more updated tutorials.

Would be a bit sad to see the auto-installation disapear. That thing is just awesome. And pretty much needed if we want people that are clueless with computers being able to play mods. (and counter their low attention span with all the process being done for them)

For this specific example, i would rather have continuing the game by default, after all the credits (you quit the game if you don't want to continue) than having a in-universe thing interrupted by outside-context gameplay prompts. I know the FIXT isn't the only game to do it, but it is still painful. (Fo3 and FoNV do it with their DLC prompts at the beginning of the game, that interrupt narrative-driven scenes, which piss me to no end)

For other setting, the perfect solution would be, imo, a separate program, like the High-Res mod, in which you choose all your option, and avoid those things disrupting the immersion while you are in-game.

5. gustarballs1983

gustarballs1983 Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Oct 28, 2009
    @Sduibek

My 3 cents in this matter would be that it's just a change of immersion Nor for the better neigther for worse, only a change.Personally it doesn't bother Me at all. It does however bring an ease of use functionality of "per playthrough" settings, So that there is no need to reinstall the game to change the game rules. However I'm not sure whether all FIXT changes can be implemented this way. For example animation changes: How does one pick ones custom party NPC animations? Will they be set to not change armor, change armor or what weapon animation frames they have/use? And what about extra set of animations ( the speed-uped ones (especially for Power Armor) how one would choose those, as this requires a flie switch and as I'm aware it can't be made in game?

naossano said:
    Also i hate having those settings ingame.

Sduibek said:
    You would really rather have to fully reinstall Fixt from scratch to make the tiniest of settings changes? That is how it currently is btw unless you want to dive into VAULT13.GAM which isn't user-friendly whatsoever. I am taking care to make the in-game customization phrasings as non-immersion-breaking as possible, and as mentioned I could still have multiple downloads so most people wouldn't have to fiddle with the in-game settings much if at all.

I say.. AFAIR Cpt.Corpse in his version of the end game had engine prompt not dialogue prompt. for the continue-after-end-game. You probably should have a look at it in Your free time Sduibek. maybe that'll make naossano less pissy.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  6. Muttie

Muttie It Wandered In From the Wastes

Oct 9, 2017
    I thought that using the terminal to adjust the settings was cool. At first.

But then I missed the „uhh, got issues... try again later“ response when trying to open the vault immediately. So it kills some atmosphere. In this case: being alone and unable to return back inside. And in front a cave of hungry rats.

Isn't it possible to create a „settings“ screen like hi-res does (i.e. it adds that „screen“ menu to options) or is that not possible with Fo1? Otherwise that sounds best (i.e. it's in-game (menu), but not in the actual game). Or call up something like help by pressing F1? Or add it to the pip-boy? I mean perhaps pursue some sort of separation of game-play and set-up by finding a way to have it in a menu setting.

Or if all that is a pain perhaps have a new terminal for this purpose rather than replacing a vanilla one? So it's less intrusive. Or at the very least a terminal that is not used for anything but decoration.

Regarding the auto-installer. I absolutely loved it a year ago, when I had little understanding of FO. Today, I rather have manual installers as it gives me more control.

Perhaps it's best to have both. FoRes is offering both options.

I understand the annoyance of having to run installer over and over again. One reason why I like a manual installer, especially when messing and experimenting. But outside of experimenting I'm not that concerned as I go through the settings once, decide on the game I want (all the fixes, everything, with two spoons of sugar and cream) and then never switch back ever again. At least for a while.

I mean is there a huge demand of adjusting the settings frequently? That sounds more like an expert thing.

However, if you give me a manual installer I would install the game three times with all three settings (purist, half & full). :)

7. Oppen

Oppen FIXT n°1 fan

Dec 26, 2011
    Maybe there's a way to generate both the installer and the package from a single file? Something like a json and a little script processing it.

8. RyanFialcowitz

RyanFialcowitz First time out of the vault

Jul 30, 2005
    Sduibek, there was a fix posted way back for a cut romance option with a women in The Brotherhood Of Steel- have you incorporated that?

I don't think have to set the various options the player wants everytime they start a new game is a good idea- especially having to do it in game when the game's already started. Although I could see the appeal of being able to easily change them. I think an external program to set them is the best compromise.

Is there any E.T.A. on the next version?

9. Oppen

Oppen FIXT n°1 fan

Dec 26, 2011
  10. RyanFialcowitz

RyanFialcowitz First time out of the vault

Jul 30, 2005
    I also read you're planning on removing the additions to Vault 15, one of which was a restored item- this would be one of the reasons I play mods/patches like yours! If you're dead set on removing them I'd suggest you add them someplace else as restorations are a good thing!

11. Nibblenumb

Nibblenumb First time out of the vault

Sep 3, 2018
    Perhaps a good compromise for immersion would be to rather than make the Vault 13 computer be the point of access to change the settings, some inconspicuous rock that will be able to change all the same settings put off to the side, it would be a little immersion breaking but so is being able to configure those things readily using the Vault 13 computer.

12. Oppen

Oppen FIXT n°1 fan

Dec 26, 2011
    I think some mod did that before. Good idea!

13. Proletären

Proletären Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Mar 15, 2012
    But why not the vault computer? Seems like a better idea.

14. Nibblenumb

Sep 3, 2018
    It would allow users that want to have a fully immersive experience to not have it be interrupted while accessing the vault computer, while still allowing the ability to change the settings. Perhaps if a rock would be too obfuscated some other subtle object could be chosen.

15. Proletären

Proletären Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Mar 15, 2012
    But it must be made clear to the players how they can change the settings. It seems more likely that you would click on the vault computer. Otherwise you could miss it by accident/ignorance. The rock option would be fine if it was clearly communicated so that the player was aware. And no pixel hunt please!

On a side note I feel it's a bit autist to feel that your immersion is broken by having settings at the computer. Do you feel that the character creation process in New Vegas is immersive breaking as well? In New Vegas you allocate your stats on some sort of ingame slot machine.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  16. Nibblenumb

Sep 3, 2018
    I agree that it would have to be clearly communicated. Ultimately it is up to Sduibek, just a suggestion. In New Vegas it is immersive, but I see your point, as the terminal as is currently has flavor text to try and help out the immersion, but I would just personally prefer to not be able to automatically open the vault door as soon as I start and also not be able to config from the terminal, if there could be something placed that would allow me to do it that way. Just my two cents.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  17. Oppen

Oppen FIXT n°1 fan

Dec 26, 2011
    With regards to documentation, the user would need to know where to look anyway. But the computer is more likely to be looked at expecting in-game content than a rock would be.
    Anyway, is there any reason why it can't be done with the settings menus?

18. Muttie

Oct 9, 2017
    There is a hint to make people aware of it (V13Comp):
    {1001}{}{Hmm... I wonder why those are blinking?}

However, the break of atmosphere is the following line
    {102}{}{Sorry, but we can't let you back in right now. Uh, technical problems. Try again later.}
    This doesn't play anymore.
    In vanilla you get this when using the computer twice (I think, i.e. first time doesn't trigger for some reason).

Removing this line is not optimal, but replacing it with a menu is even less optimal as it changes the atmosphere of the opening scene. The player is alone, in the dark, in a world never entered before (just after the cut-scene of the Vault's opening door) and now there is no other way but onwards.

Also the inability to return to the vault immediately creates atmosphere. A feeling of being lost and forlorn, with, again, no other way but going onwards.

Which means this is not only a bit intrusive (although adjusting the settings via a terminal is elegant in itself) but it is also a redesign of the opening scene (i.e. that terminal is supposed to be unresponsive to increase the feeling of being alone in a hostile world).

It's just not the best time to fiddle with settings. And it cuts a bit deeper to simply ignore it (i.e. a new player will open this setting menu and spend a few minutes reading it), which breaks the artistic set-up.

Still, I would be fine with a terminal used, but not the one controlling the vault door. Or if using that one, it shouldn't interfere with that opening message/atmosphere. I would prefer a terminal in a less intrusive place like the vault library (one of many, who cares). However, that would mean the “menu” won't be at the start of the game, which would be inconvenient, too.

Anyway, if protocol stuff like “settings, character creation, tutorial etc.” are included in actual game-play, they need to be woven into the story, otherwise they are always intrusive. Or they need to be disconnected from the game (like Killap's stone in RP mod, as mentioned (by Nibblenumb).)

Last, I think the reason this can't be done that easily in a menu (i.e. having this in the start menu would be optimal tbh) is because the list is rather long with several “settings” that go beyond a simple yes/no. Fitting all that in a menu screen could be tough. In Open Office the msg is 10 pages of options. Handling all that on a menu screen would probably need some rather creative design. Although having it all on one screen may be more convenient than manoeuvring a dialogue tree (?)

EDIT: Some mods use separate config programs (like Hi-Res or FoRes) for game settings. Isn't that an option (i.e. run it outside of the game)? Or is that Fo2 only?

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    • [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  19. Oppen

Oppen FIXT n°1 fan

Dec 26, 2011
    I'm very much on the side of this, but I think it would be confusing for users, specially for settings that are effective on a per-savegame basis. Also, someone mentioned it'd be desirable for the continue-after-ending option to be a decided during the game itself.

20. Muttie

Oct 9, 2017
    Save-game is an issue. How does that even work currently? Does the game adjust the settings made when loading a save-game?
    Then again this may be unavoidable. The moment the settings can be adjusted the user has to remember which savegame runs under which settings. Or do they have to check with the vault-door terminal to find out which settings their current game uses? Or do the last settings carry over? I haven't really looked into this yet.

EDIT: Shouldn't it work like e.g. „violence settings“. I mean they adjust when loading a save-game. But can also be adjusted in general outside of the game. (at least in Fo2.) It only would need a way to check the settings while in-game.

However, the continue-after-ending option should be already in the game (it was in 0.81). Wasn't the point to not have it pop up (i.e. interrupt the end-sequence)? I think it was the following post:
    Who, btw, suggested exactly the same before I did (lol).

Last edited: May 14, 2019