Fallout Officially is Bethesda/Dead

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by TorontRayne, Jul 20, 2018.

1. TorontRayne

TorontRayne This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Moderator Orderite

Apr 1, 2005
    https://www.theguardian.com/games/2...odd-howard-pete-hines-elder-scrolls-starfield

A recent interview with Todd Howard has confirmed our fears. New Vegas 2? Never. If it isn't Bethesda, it ain't Fallout. Drink a shot of Rotgut tonight in honor of the days of isometric Fallout.

No remake of Fallout 1 and 2 either. Thank Per, Roshambo, and Jebus for that.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 2
    • [Like] [Like] x 1
  2. NovaRain

NovaRain Casual Modder Modder

Mar 10, 2007
    Not sure about others, but for me it's a pretty good news.
    No outsourcing so we don't need to build our hopes up for "another New Vegas".
    No remake/remaster of old Fallout games so we won't see classic games getting bethrape.

• [Like] [Like] x 17
    • [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  3. TorontRayne

Apr 1, 2005
    My sentiments exactly. The community needs to focus on mods for the originals and new games instead of looking to recapture nostalgia.

Also, your sig is missing Tactics.

:deal:

• [Like] [Like] x 3
  4. Gizmojunk

Gizmojunk Vault Fossil

Nov 26, 2007
    FO3 is cheap now. I would not mind seeing a Total Conversion done to it; done within the bounds of the GECK eula, and done well enough to put them to shame for the decade long insult.

(* I'd help.)

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  5. TorontRayne

Apr 1, 2005
    What kind of Total Conversion?

6. NovaRain

NovaRain Casual Modder Modder

Mar 10, 2007
    Nah, I never played Tactics pass the tutorial. And I only put the games I consider canon in my sig. :P
    (To anyone trying to tell me Fallout 3/4 are canon because Bethesda owns the franchise now or shit like that, don't bother.)

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  7. Gizmojunk

Gizmojunk Vault Fossil

Nov 26, 2007
    People know what resources exist in the base game; AFAIK those are fair use. I think a new story could be made with existing assets, and new ones; possibly reuse a good bit of the dialog. In general, just a better campaign, possibly done with less NPCs, and more variations on quest solutions. Stricter SPECIAL/Skills integration; no lockpick mini-game (or in the very least, a better one), etc...

_____
    My preference would be to change the gameplay.

I once asked Socrates200x (or RadHamster—the AI programmer... I am not sure which anymore) about controlling the AI to wait out its turn via script commands, and was given back the impression that it was at least possible to make FO3 workably turn based... not that Bethesda ever would.

We know the engine can do ISO-3D, because the GECK itself does that for world editing, and Gamebryo has been used for RTS games; (and even racing games).
    _____

*Me playing around: (in-game)

Most of the large buildings would need roof tops made for them, if it was to be ISO-3D. A Fallout style map is probably not impossible; the terminal menus are 3D, the game UI could be.

FO3 actually does track game time during ('fast') map-travel... it just doesn't do anything with it; but it could.

If the vantage angle is fixed (or at least known at the time), then it might even be possible (using the known mouse position) to implement scripted point & click navigation, or even a TB minigame/menu combat system; even use VATS as the aimed shot.

** Obviously the NPC interaction, and character choices take precedence over systems retro-fitting. A better story than "find daddy", and "die in front of friends, doing what they could manage unharmed...".

Perhaps add a proper Mr.Handy :twisted:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    • [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  8. TorontRayne

Apr 1, 2005

9. Gizmojunk

Gizmojunk Vault Fossil

Nov 26, 2007
    What's it from? :cool:
    (Besides being a New Vegas mod?)

10. Proletären

Proletären Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Mar 15, 2012
    Fallout is dead. Long live Falllout!

• [Rad] [Rad] x 5
    • [Like] [Like] x 4
  11. MPPlantOfficial

MPPlantOfficial Still Mildly Glowing

Aug 24, 2017
    The IP: "Fallout" has been officially dead since 2008. Nothing new here.

Fallout lives through creations like the one in my sig

• [Like] [Like] x 2
  12. TorontRayne

Apr 1, 2005
    My Duke Nukem: Lost in New Vegas LP. I used the mod that lets you zoom out. It doesn't work inside buildings very well obviously.

13. Proletären

Proletären Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Mar 15, 2012
    I'm from Las Vegas and I say kill the all
    "I'm from Las Vegas, and I say kill 'em all!" - Duke Nukem

• [Like] [Like] x 1
    • [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  14. Pwener

Pwener Tunnelers? They Don't Sound That Tough...

Aug 15, 2017
    Man, Todd Howard is one scummy bastard. I don't trust people who speak the way he does. Every word is so sanitized. Damn creepy.

Like No-Bark said; "If a man's wearing his pants on his head or if he says his words backwards from time to time, you know it's all laid out there for you. But if he's friendly to strangers and keeps his home spick-and-span, more often than not he's done something even his own ma couldn't forgive."

• [Like] [Like] x 9
  15. Pariah Dog

Pariah Dog bitch I will cut you

Jun 28, 2018
    Bethesda should be a synonym for dead/dying/killed

like, "I bethesda'd a fly that wouldn't stop bothering me" or "2 people were bethesda'd in today's tragic car accident" or "A man bethesda'd in this house 40 years ago"

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  16. GuyManBot

GuyManBot First time out of the vault

Nov 26, 2017
    To be fair, Obsidian is not the same company that made NV. Almost everyone who worked on NV great is gone, and last I heard they were disorganized to hell. While I enjoy all Fallout games for what they offer, I do fear that the next Fallout game is just going to ditch the role playing aspect entirely in favour of trying be like Mass Effect/Borderlands. Maybe I'm wrong and if anything they just make it like Fallout 3, but more moddern, but my hopes aren't high. But hey, it's not like the next REAL Fallout is coming out anytime soon.

• [Like] [Like] x 5
  17. Eumesmopo

Eumesmopo Learned to love the bomb

Dec 6, 2012
    Unless he's talking exclusively about raw sales and total profit, that's 100% bullshit. There is no way in hell that he actually thinks highly of New Vegas as a video game rather than a mere product for his firm to sell. If the interviewer actually pressed he about it, I doubt that he would even be able to explain a single one of the design aspects that actually makes New Vegas good. The dude is just a fucking huckster that doesn't understand anything about the product that his company is selling and thus only speaks about it using generic terms and hyperbole.

• [Like] [Like] x 4
    • [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  18. Revolter

Revolter First time out of the vault

Jul 21, 2018
    My thoughts exactly.

Fallout of Nevada for me was the best thing that happened to the series since 1998 %)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  19. CT Phipps

CT Phipps Half-way Through My Half-life

Sep 17, 2016
    Chris Avellone works for Bethesda now.

Most of the Obsidian staff related to Fallout have moved on.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  20. GuyManBot

GuyManBot First time out of the vault

Nov 26, 2017
    All we can hope is that they eventually let Chris write a Fallout game. As long as the story is good, I'll be happy.

• [Like] [Like] x 2