Fallout 2 mod FO2 Engine Tweaks (Sfall)

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by Dude101, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Beoron

Beoron First time out of the vault

Jul 6, 2015
    The sfall readme says not to overwrite the ddraw.ini if you are using RP. I am wondering how I can get some of the sfall features from the newer versions while maintaining the old ini for RP. For instanced the ini from RP does not include an option to change how Fast Shot interacts with unarmed and I would like to be able to change that option. Thanks!

2. NovaRain

NovaRain Casual Modder Modder

Mar 10, 2007
    You need to manually copy the new settings to RP's. You can try to use some comparison tools like WinMerge.

3. Beoron

Jul 6, 2015
    I see. So I can add new stuff to the old ini as long as I don't change any of the existing stuff?

4. NovaRain

Mar 10, 2007
    Yes, unless you are sure what you are doing.

5. Beoron

Jul 6, 2015
    Sweet! I added the HTH extra damage fix (though I am unsure of what the bug was) and the Fast Shot option and I can punch for less ap with fast shot and the game doesn't seem to be broken, great success! Thanks!

6. gustarballs1983

gustarballs1983 Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Oct 28, 2009
    @NovaRain
    I seem to be having issues with Tyler Gang church fight with the new sfall 4.1.1. game crashes to desktop when i end combat (never had this bug with earlier versions).
    I use RP2.3.3 and a couple of nirran perks + burn Fo2Tweaks. Nirran perks are set to have 150 levels for the one that gives two more perks afther choosing it. Did not touch this savegame with Vad's editor because it's extremely buggy 4 me. oh yeah forgot to add that RP+EcCo is a standard for me

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  7. NovaRain

Mar 10, 2007
    What's the error message for the crash? You said you never had this bug with earlier versions, does that include 4.1 and 4.0.x? I'd suspect it's because Lara trys to start dialog with you, did you enable StartGDialogFix in ddraw.ini?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  8. gustarballs1983

Oct 28, 2009
    Error message reads:
    as for the fix I switched the ddraw.dll to v4.1 with the exact same ddraw.ini as for 4.1.1 ( the v3.3 .ini modified with leftover addons from 4.1.1 during the same playthrough and the bug was gone.

It is strange I don't remember fiddling with that setting but i have:

if it is the case what should i set it to in order to work properly. The game got extremely buggy after i switched back to 4.1 (during the same playthrough), or was it from the beginning, as enemies tend to use unarmed attacks instead of their firearms and all folks in random encounters start with their weapons unequiped ( even caravan guards have their hunting rifles in their inventory). this was the case for 4.1.1 a bit as well as i had one encounter bandits vs farmers and neigther farmers used 10mm SMG or pipe rifle nor bandits used anything they had. I have a stinking feeling it has to do with ai choosing best weapon for NPC setting wich i disabled (=0). Also small resolution encounters bug out when exiting caves (i get a second image clipped under the first one but it is drawn from the bottom right corner and is visible on the black edges of the screen (because of too small map resolution) [i play with 1920x1080]

I assume the unarmed attacks instead of firearms maybe related to how new sfall treats weapon usage based on skill as most of critters have horribly low gun skills in their .PRO files ad unarmed is indeed the highest amongst fighting skills, (less than 50% for fighting skills small guns are sometimes like 20%) wich is totally lame. The low fighting skills on NPC's is so crippling that one time even before any sfall i had enclave trooper in oilrig equipped with energy weapon rush forward to pickup a powerfist i dropped earlier because he had SEC for his plasma pistol and he suddenly figured he'll have a better chance of hitting me with that power fist so he went and picked it up during fight and atempted to rush head on and attack me with that powerfist, until i've mopped the flor with him by giving him a spray of lead to the face. [he did not manage to run up to me to do a single attack :( ]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  9. NovaRain

Mar 10, 2007
    You should disable StartGDialogFix in 4.1.1 as it didn't handle calling start_gdialog outside of talk_p_proc procedure well (which is used by RP in several occasions). It's fixed in the coming 4.1.2.

No, sfall does not have that.

10. gustarballs1983

Oct 28, 2009
    Thank You for responding.
    Anyway.. Can my playthrough be broken by switching from sfall 4.1.1 to 4.1 mid playthrough?

11. NovaRain

Mar 10, 2007
    I don't think there's any change/fix in sfall 4.1.1 that causes such behavior changes. I tested with stock RP and got shot by bandits around the Den as usual.

12. gustarballs1983

Oct 28, 2009
    Thank You for the reply.
    One other thing comes to my mind. I can't properly set the function to show notification box wich party npc turn is it during combat and controlling cNPC set in both of the .ini files.

so far i tried with:
    BoxBarCount=5 and later BoxBarCount=95 with the ddraw.ini and

DisplayName=9 and later DisplayName=99 (acording to formulae in the description)

DisplayNameColor=5

and so far no indication box was shown (if it's sepose to be like the ones from Fallout1 Crafty's sfall1 v1.8 then they are not present/don't work in fo2).

Any suggestions?.. because when playing with unlimited party members option i tend to loose control wich party member's turn is it, and i think this is important in the end game, when all are dressed the same & armed the same. It's hard to tell the difference between some of them, especially if they all loose some portion of their health due to a burst attack.
    opening char sheet every turn is just silly, so i'd prefer to use the implemented notification box system.

13. NovaRain

Mar 10, 2007
  14. keewek

keewek First time out of the vault

Oct 25, 2018
    Vanilla GOG's Fallout 2 v2.1.0.17 + updated sfall to 4.1.1

Pressing highlight key from sfall-mods.ini while in corpse / container screens displays

icon in the top left corner of the screen. Exiting corpse / container screens and pressing highlight key again removes the icon.

Happens even with

Containers=0
    Corpses=0

Doesn't seem to broke anything, just annoying.

15. gustarballs1983

Oct 28, 2009
    Yeah I can confirm the above it's been a little annoying bug for a long list of releases since at least v3.7 or earlier.

16. NovaRain

Mar 10, 2007
    I changed the highlighting to be disabled while in the loot screen, so you shouldn't get that red icon anymore.
    You can download the updated script from GitHub.

Weird, I didn't get that red icon with GOG release and 3.8.x.

17. keewek

keewek First time out of the vault

Oct 25, 2018
    @NovaRain: Updated script works. Now, I can access corpse / container screens without depressing the highlight key first. Thank you !

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  18. NovaRain

Mar 10, 2007
    sfall 4.1.2 and 3.8.12 are released on SourceForge, along with their respective modders packs and win2k version (3.8.x only).
    Here's the preview of the combat control panel when enabling PartyMemberExtraInfo in ddraw.ini:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  19. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant

Apr 24, 2005
    Wouldn't it be better not to show "addict" at all if there is none? Otherwise it can be confusing.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  20. F2Fan

F2Fan First time out of the vault

Dec 2, 2018
    Hello. Need help with a few questions.

1. As of version 4.1.2 of sfall do player perks and traits and tags still get applied to party NPCs or has that been changed?

2. in this setting in ddraw.ini:
    Code:
    ;Set to 1 to disable the random element in NPC levelling.
    ;This will cause all NPC party members to automatically level up as soon as the player reaches the requirements
    NPCAutoLevel=0
    It says "...as soon as the player reaches the requirements". What requirements? What are the requirements? Can someone please explain how this works now?

Thanks for your help.