Fallout 2 mod Get a perk at each level

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by nkchan16, Mar 23, 2018.

1. nkchan16

nkchan16 It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jul 27, 2016
    This is a simple script that allows you to gain a perk with every new level. It doesn't change perk requirements so you won't be able to get a perk for the first two levels. I couldn't find something similar and made one for myself.

Requirements:
    Any Fallout 2 installation (incl. RP) with SFall enabled.

Installation:

Extract GL_PerkFreq.int into Fallout 2\data\scripts\ folder.

You may delete the source file included (GL_PerkFreq.ssl) if you wish, it's not required.

Update:
    Added a similar but a more elegant script by NovaRain (see below). Installation is similar, extract GL_PerkEveryLevel.int into data\scripts\ folder but choose only one of the scripts, do not install both.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    • [Like] [Like] x 4
  2. Risewild

Risewild Half-way Through My Half-life
    Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    You should request the "Modder" role, so you can upload files to the Download section of the site.

3. NovaRain

NovaRain Casual Modder Modder

Mar 10, 2007
    I'd suggest adding a check for player's level before setting perk_freq, so players don't get a blank "Choose a perk" window and select a blank perk accidentally, or be able to select Gecko Skinning in certain cases.

EDIT: something like this
    Code:
    procedure start;

#define PCSTAT_level  (1)

procedure start begin
       if (game_loaded) then begin
          set_global_script_repeat(60);
       end else begin
          if (get_pc_stat(PCSTAT_level) > 2) then begin
             set_perk_freq(1);
             set_global_script_repeat(0);
          end
       end
    end

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  4. nkchan16

Jul 27, 2016
    Yes, that would be more elegant, but it works as it is. I don't think you can choose a "blank" perk when the perk window appears and if I'm not mistaken "Gecko Skinning" never appears on the perk window. Made it for my own use and wanted it as simple as possible, and funnily enough, earlier versions had those kinds of checks, then I decided to remove all of them. :D IIRC I didn't want to include headers so that I could use it with the base game as well as any mods that runs with Sfall, e.g. RP, which may have incompatible header files. Anyway, I've used this script for years with numerous mods including RP, Resurrection, Nevada etc. without any problems.

5. NovaRain

Mar 10, 2007
    RP 2.3.3 with sfall 4.0.3:

Removing the party control script or using older sfall 3.x will result in a blank window. If player tries to select the first (blank) line in the perk list, the game will crash.
    Uninformed players might crash their game clicking the blank list out of curiosity, unless you don't think that's an issue.

Headers are only used during compilation. Compiled scripts don't need headers and TCs don't have them unless devs release their script source. Also you can always replace those variable/function defines with actual values if you want to make your script source completely standalone.
    Code:
    if (get_pc_stat(1) > 2) then begin

• [Like] [Like] x 2
  6. nkchan16

Jul 27, 2016
    I couldn't get that screen with "Gecko Skinning" perk , it's empty in my game (RP 2.3.3 w/ SFall 3.7a). How did you get the perk window before leveling up anyway?

This looks good. I will update the OP with your version.

7. NovaRain

Mar 10, 2007
    Like I said, with older sfall 3.x you only gets a blank list. And I used a hook script to level up my character with a key pressed.

8. .Pixote.

.Pixote. Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Modder

Sep 14, 2009
    So by level 15 I will have 15 perks, instead of the usual 5....why?

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  9. nkchan16

Jul 27, 2016
    Is this an actual question or are you just trying to say you're displeased by this?

10. .Pixote.

.Pixote. Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Modder

Sep 14, 2009
    Both...making the game easier serves no purpose, if anything make the game harder, and hopefully the experience will be more intense. If perks become so cheap then perks become meaningless.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  11. NovaRain

Mar 10, 2007
    The current script has an issue: it made characters with Skilled trait also gain a perk per level (starting from Lv4), completely nullified its negative effect of slower perk rate. So choosing Skilled trait became gaining free extra 5 skill points at leveling up. You might want to add an extra check for player with Skilled trait, giving them a perk every 2 levels or something.

12. Gizmojunk

Gizmojunk Vault Fossil

Nov 26, 2007
    I think that it is great to have new modders, but that this is not one that I would ever use.

13. nkchan16

Jul 27, 2016
    Perks are basically a reward system which makes you want to keep playing. I've played the game too many times and now I get bored too easily. I wanted to have a reason to keep playing it, so decided to change the perk frequency. I don't really care if that makes the game too easy, because I no longer play it to do quests or finish it. I made this script for my own use and shared it with you, I don't actually create mods for others.

I don't think that would be necessary for the purpose of this script. It does what it claims and that's about it.

14. teskal

teskal First time out of the vault

Dec 26, 2015
    Maybe make extra perk files where you can get perks ever 2nd, 4th, 5th. So players can chose the difficulty. Personally I would maybe use a every 2nd level change.

That a mod has no purpose if it makes the game easier I can't understand. Making a game easier or try a game with a bundle of more perks is the purpose. It makes no difference if someone is or is not interested in it, it is still a purpose.

15. Anyway

Anyway First time out of the vault

Jul 10, 2018
    But can you do that?

16. NovaRain

Mar 10, 2007
    You can try my variants:
    • gl_perkrate1.int - gaining a perk every level starting at lv3, with Skilled trait gaining a perk every two levels starting at lv4.
    • gl_perkrate2.int - gaining a perk every two levels starting at lv4 (you still get the first one at lv3), with Skilled trait gaining a perk every three levels starting at lv6 (you still get the first one at lv4).
    Just choose the one you want to use and extract it to data\scripts\ folder.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    • [Like] [Like] x 2
  17. Bob Morane

Bob Morane First time out of the vault

Jul 9, 2018
    @nkchan16
    @NovaRain

Thanks to both of you.
    I'm with you, nkchan16, played FO2 a lot back in the days, i need a lot of motivation to replay it, controlling your followers helps in that regard, so does more perks.

Well, i use the editor but if i ever replay it, i'll certainly use this.

There should be more perks as quests rewards, like strong back for cleaning cow shit in Broken Hills or for whatever hard work, i always felt like utility perks shouldn't count as real perks.

18. MannerdDesert7

MannerdDesert7 First time out of the vault

Aug 13, 2018
    Do you have a version for Fallout 1 (preferably compatible with Fallout FIXT)