Guide to fan-made new adventure with original Fallout gameplay

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by naossano, Mar 11, 2017.

1. naossano

naossano Vault Fossil

Oct 19, 2006
    It is no secret here that Bethesda take on the IP left many people here quite disapointed. Yet, enough coverage is given here to those new gamebryo adventures. But for those who prefer the isometric episodes, there is not much new official content to dwelve upon. On the other hand, the modding community on Fallout 2 and Fonline engine is not only still active, but the projects are getting more and more ambitious.

My goal here is to provide not only a list of those new adventures, but also provide a fair amount of informations to help people find the projects that would suit more their taste. That thread will be a work in progress that will probably takes a few months before completion as i intend to actually play those mods through the end, in order not only to have fun, but also gather a more appropriate picture of what those mods provide. So don't expect to have a big list of mods from the get go. It will be updated as soon as i finish a new adventure.

For more concise lists, there are some nice sources there : 1 - 2 - 3
    (to be updated if i know more)

Also, at that point, my intend is not to try every single mod, but only those which provide new adventures using the original Fallout gameplay, regardless if it is on Fallout 1, Fallout 2, Fonline, or even other fan-made engine. Also, i will focus on adventures that are available in english or french as i will be able to actually play and understand them. I might, on a later time, gather information on adventures that are only available in other languages (mostly russian), but it isn't my current priority.

• [Like] [Like] x 7
  2. naossano

naossano Vault Fossil

Oct 19, 2006
    Total Conversions
    (Totally new adventures not reusing vanilla plots)

Beth the old hag
    Author : Lisac2k
    Version : Unknown (presumably 1.00)
    Engine : Fallout 2
    Languages availables : English
    Official Website : None
    NMA threads : 1
    Download links : 1
    Other links :
    Short summary : Before the Chosen One embarks on his quests, he must answers some questions from the village Elder.
    Short review : Not quite an actual RPG campaign, this mod consist on a short dialog with the village elder about the player knowledge and beliefs regarding the game series. The dialog options mostly fit with the mindset of someone who played the originals, someone who only played the new episodes, and someone who just want to kick some ass. Depending on your answers, you might get a slightly different ending. If you seek for small parodic mod, i would rather suggest you to try out Vault Rats, from the same author.

Fallout 1 Demo
    Author : Interplay Team
    Engine : Fallout 1 demo engine
    Official Website : Defunct
    NMA threads :
    Download links : 1 - 2 -
    Other links : 1 - 2 - 3 -
    Short summary : The Crypts and the Fools are struggling for the control of Scrapheap, a small town with a fully working power generator.
    Short review : Not really a mod, but the demonstration prototype for the first Fallout game comes up with its own simple plot, its handfull of quests, and several ways to solve them. While its lenght is quite short, it has quite some level of replayability and its own quirks. Also, it is not possible to save your game while playing this demo, which can add some bit of welcomed challenge depending on what are you objectives for each playthrough. However, the plot is extremely simple and the map itself is a downsized version of Junktown.

FalloutNow! EasterSpecial (FalloutNow! Osterspezial)
    Author : Lexx - FalloutNow! Team
    Languages availables : German
    Official Website : 1
    Other links :
    Short summary : Someone stole the easter eggs from the easter Bunny. Who did this ? Why ? It is for you to find out.
    Short review : This mod consist on one small quest to discover who stole those easter eggs from the magical bunny, and how to deal with that information. It is obviously easter themed and would be more appreciated around that famous day.

Living dead Mod
    Author : Haris & Miran
    Languages availables : English (but there is no dialogs)
    Official Website : None
    Download links : 1 - 2
    Other links : 1
    Short summary : A pretty big graveyard is invaded by a never ending army of ghouls. Someone needs to put them back in their graves.
    Short review : This mod is one of the oldest ever made for Fallout 2 and, sadly, one of the worst. Here, you will fight your way through hundreds of unarmed ghouls, slowly walking toward you, to punch your face in turn-based combat... And that's pretty much it. You will face an endless ocean of unarmed ghouls, tombs, dead trees and containers. No plots, no dialogs, no grim descriptions, no music, no context, always the same unarmed enemies. I also wonder if the authors actually created more than an handfull of maps. After the first few maps, you will constantly end up in the same map, with the same enemies. I don't know if they copy-pasted the same map several times in the mapper or if they made the exit grid lead you to a loop that constantly reload the very same map, resetting its content. I wonder if there is actually an ending to this mods. I abandonned after i ended up in the same map for more than 15 times. I don't know what the creators expected, but i simply can't see what kind of players would be interested by that thing.

Revenge of the Pong!
    Author : darkrf
    Version : Unknown (supposedly 1.00)
    Languages availables : English (no dialogs)
    Official Website : No
    NMA thread : 1
    Short summary : This is some akward version of Pong on the Fallout 2 engine.
    Short review : Pong is one of the oldest arcade video game, roughly inspired by Tennis. Here, you move your character to intercept and throw back the ball.

Vault Rats
    Author : Lisac2k
    Version : 1.02
    Languages availables : English, French, Czech
    Official Website : Now defunct
    NMA thread : 1
    Other links : 1 - 2
    Short summary : This very short new adventure released a few months before Fallout 3 dwelve into the changes made by Bethesda, on a parodic style.
    Short review : If you seek for a long in-depth adventure with moral dilemmas and long-lasting consequences, this mod will not cater to those needs. It is extremely short. You will probably finish your first playthrough in less than one hour. There is only one simple map, a dozen of forgettable characters, three short quests, and an handfull of endings. It doesn't look that the mod has more content than the demo of the first Fallout. Yet, the strenght of this mod are its tone and its replayability. Sure, we are all aware of Fallout 3 flaws and shortcoming. Yet, we aren't so used to see them translated into the Fallout 2 engine. Also, it can be fun to fight your way through a gang consisting of Todd, Pete, Emil and their buddies. The 3 quests and your relationship with the gang can be dealt in a few differents way, which aren't so obvious on the first playthrough. Also, there is ton of hidden content that you will certainly not see the first time. And there is some item randomization. Ultimately, even including replayability, the mod is still quite short, but nowhere near as much as it initially appear.

To be added :
    13V, Last Hope, Fallout 2 Second Apocalypse (to play before Wasteland Merc series), Wasteland Merc 1, Wasteland Merc 2 (+Addon), Resurrection 1.5, Olympus 2077, Fallout of Nevada.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    • [Like] [Like] x 1
  3. naossano

naossano Vault Fossil

Oct 19, 2006
    Additionnal quests and locations
    (The new quests, locations and adventures are added on top of the vanilla plots)

Fallout 1 FIXT

Author : Sduibek - FIXT team - Fallout Community
    Version : 0.81
    Engine : Fallout 1 (might migrate to Fallout 2 engine)
    Languages availables : English, Spanish, Czech, French, Russian.
    Official Website :
    NMA threads : 1 (might as well count as official website)
    Download links : 1 - 2 -
    Other links : 1 - (and numerous others websites)
    Short summary : This mods fixes issues with the Fallout vanilla game, add new features and some new content.
    Short review : Being a modification of the first Fallout vanilla game, it is not really a new adventure on its own, but it would be a bit unfaiir to not mention it considering the huge improvements it brings to the base game. Even if it is the 0.81 version and Sduibek intend to add many new features, the mod is fully playable from the beginning to the end. It fixes many bugs, add a few more feature to run the game more smoothly on modern computers, and bring back some of the contents intended by the developpers, but cut before the release. As for the main quest, it is pretty much the same as the base game. It also come with a *fixes only* version.

Fallout 2 Restoration Project
    Author : Killap - Restoration Project team - Fallout Community
    Version : 2.3.3
    Languages availables : English, Russian, Polish, German, French
    Download links : 1 - 2 - 3 - 4
    Other links : 1 - 2 - (and numerous others websites)
    Short summary : This mods fixes issues with the Fallout 2 vanilla game, add new features and some new content.
    Short review : Being a modification of the second Fallout vanilla game, it is not really a new adventure on its own, but it would be a bit unfaiir to not mention it considering the huge improvements it brings to the base game. It fixes many bugs, add a few more feature to run the game more smoothly on modern computers, and bring back some of the contents intended by the developpers, but cut before the release. As for the main quest, it is pretty much the same as the base game. Although the number of new locations, new npc, new quests and new ways to solve the already existing quests, is impressive. The mod brings back many small satellite locations and quests that are meant to blend smoothly with the base game. There is also two medium settlements and a pretty big dungeon that can stand on their own feets, content-wise. It also come with a *fixes only* version.
    Additionnal note : Some of those locations, like the Abbey or the EPA are also available to download separately.

To be added :
    Oblivion Lost, Megamod, Global Mod, Home sweet home (house near New Reno)

4. naossano

naossano Vault Fossil

Oct 19, 2006
    Unfinished or Abandoned mods

Fillauth
    Author : Kinten - Oxeye Game Studio
    Version : Release
    Engine : Fillauth Engine
    NMA thread : 1 - 2
    Short summary : This is a demo prototype made for a demake competition. It is an attempt to build a Fallout game seemingly using the technology of the early 1990s. The creator didn't continue this project afterward.
    Short review : While taking some distance with the game we are used to play, this demake strangely manage to bring the feeling of playing a Fallout game with some blurred eyes. Considering the game itself is mostly a prototype, you won't be able to make any satisfying progress in your quest. On the other hand, spending an hour or two playing this prototype is an experience on its own. I also come with its own map editor if you feel inspired by it.

To be added :
    Wasteland Merc 3, Ardent's mod, Shattered Destiny, The Last Frontier, The Next Day, Mutants Rising, Van Buren, a Fallout RPG adventure, The Tangut Prophecy, Awakened, Between good and evil, IanOut, Black Steel Mod, Cold heart Modoc, New Vision, Alternative Life, Day of Blood, Fallout Chronnicles of Riddick Mod, Infinite Fall, Red Dwarf mod, What remains (Fonline engine).

5. naossano

naossano Vault Fossil

Oct 19, 2006
    Beth the old hag, Living dead mod, Vault Rats and Fillauth added.

6. naossano

naossano Vault Fossil

Oct 19, 2006
  7. NovaRain

NovaRain Casual Modder

Mar 10, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  8. naossano

naossano Vault Fossil

Oct 19, 2006
    Thank you for the link to Second Apocalypse and the reminder that there is no such thing as looking enough into the Drobovik database. Although, i hope that the old NMA download archive isn't lost. There was so much content in it. (with variable level of quality)

- Fallout 1 Demo, Fallout 1 FIXT, Fallout 2 Restoration Project, FalloutNow! EasterSpecial and Revenge of the Pong! are now added.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  9. PlanHex

PlanHex Spam Janitor Moderator Orderite

Nov 4, 2007
    The download button in the archive can redirect to a www.nma-fallout link, but you can just exchange it for an archive.nma-fallout link to make it work. Like so: [in retrospect, leaving download links like this in the open might be a bad idea]

10. valcik

valcik Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Dec 20, 2008
    There's also a backup of all the NMA files previously hosted on atomicgamer.com:
    https://archive.org/details/AtomicGamer_nma-fallout
    Since this stuff is packed in one huge tape archive file, I'd suggest sticking with database provided by tovarish Drobovik.

11. naossano

naossano Vault Fossil

Oct 19, 2006
    I didn't manage to use PlanHex trick. I guess i will ask for links on a case-by-case basis if i have troubles.
    (don't care much about all those cheat mods that just drop tons of overpowered items if Klamath or New Reno)

12. PlanHex

Nov 4, 2007
    What do you mean? That link I posted doesn't work for you?

13. naossano

naossano Vault Fossil

Oct 19, 2006
    You exemple link ends with the name of a zip file.
    When i search in the nma download archive and select a mod, my link ends with something like that *downloads.php?do=file&id=1338*, my link end with something like that *downloads.php?do=file&id=1338&act=down&actionhash=guest*. Sometime it downloads, sometime i get an error message. But i don't get a file name that i could use like your example link.

Edit: I can use that :
    http://archive.nma-fallout.com/nma-fallout/fo2/mods/

14. PlanHex

Nov 4, 2007
  15. naossano

naossano Vault Fossil

Oct 19, 2006
    I get it now.

What i called the error message was the link you modified. It contained the name of the file. Only had to add *archive.nma* there. I thought it was a generic page that would load at any situation where it wasn't possible to move forward, while in fact, it was an actual link with a file name. Sorry for being slow.

16. Lexx

Lexx Lived Through the Heat Death

Apr 24, 2005
    Holy shit, I totally forgot about the Easteregg special mod thingy. Maybe I should digg that up again and pimp it a bit for this year? Hm..

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  17. naossano

naossano Vault Fossil

Oct 19, 2006
    The second part of this post has been moved because i needed the third post of the thread to make a few changes. I will separate the total conversions and the mods that add locations to the main quest.

-------
    Any intel about other mods, languages availables, updates, or relevant informations would be much appreciated. Same for tips that would improve the presentation. (or correcting my non-native english)

There is also a sister thread in french for those who those who understand that language.

18. naossano

naossano Vault Fossil

Oct 19, 2006
    Putting this on hold for a week or two, for IRL reasons.