Hi-Res Patches for Fallout1&2 & the BIS Mapper

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by Mash, May 14, 2008.

1. Felipefpl

Felipefpl Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Jun 17, 2010
    There is something that i asked for long time ago and got no answer:

High-res patch should use ONLY the directx that exists in the machine, it doesnt matter if it's dx9, 10, 11 or 12, it makes no sense to make high-res patch attached to DX9 only, neither having to download more than 90 MB for just (probably) a few dlls the package must contain.

2. leto

leto First time out of the vault

Jan 28, 2015
    I have a problem
    My game does not correspond to what is in the ini file at all. (Yes it is in the right folder)
    What should i do?

3. Sduibek

Sduibek If only modding paid the bills... Moderator Modder

Oct 27, 2010
    Is this on a Windows installation with UAC enabled?

4. phobos2077

phobos2077 Mildly Dipped
    Modder

Apr 24, 2010
    I'm toying with party combat control in sfall and stumbled upon a crash somwhere withing f2_res.dll. Since I don't have source codes, I can't say where it happens exactly.
    But I've tracked it down to some hook being made from hi-res patch from "intface_draw_ammo_lights_" engine function (0x460AA0 US version).

I have a hunch this is related ALTERNATE_AMMO_METRE setting. I had it at "1", now disabled and will see if crashes will happen again..
    I suspect the mod makes some kind of assumptions which are wrong in this case. After switching control to another NPC, I call function "intface_redraw_" (0x45EB98) - seem like this triggers the crash.

5. leto

leto First time out of the vault

Jan 28, 2015
    Yes.
    Should i disable UAC and try again?

6. Sduibek

Sduibek If only modding paid the bills... Moderator Modder

Oct 27, 2010
    Yes.

7. Lexx

Lexx Lived Through the Heat Death

Apr 24, 2005
    Just found out that I can't use the mapper anymore with my current graphic card. Either the screen stays black or everything seems to be "out of screen" with totally fucked up colors. Same happens to Fallout2.exe - but I can kinda fix this with switching to dx9 mode (everything is highly pixelated and shitty looking, though. That was never the case before (/edit: ok, fixed this with setting GraphicsWidth/Height the same values as my screen resolution with the high res patch)... which I apparently can't do with the mapper.

Any ideas on how I can fix this? Not being able to use the mapper is like... well... kinda shitty.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  8. Fox Wernicke

Fox Wernicke First time out of the vault

Sep 11, 2014
    What does your m2_res.ini look like, Lexx? I for sure am not having a ddraw.ini or ddraw.dll in my Mapper directory.

9. Trolleule

Trolleule First time out of the vault

Jul 18, 2014
    Has Mash ever provided the source code for Fo2 Hi-Res Patch?

10. TheyCallMeKK

TheyCallMeKK I don't like shit

Jun 10, 2015
    i recently installed the high res mod for fallout 1 and my game has green pixels all over the screen how do i fix this? it only happens when this is enabled

Attached Files:

11. MathU41

MathU41 First time out of the vault

Apr 18, 2007
    Alright, trying to get this set up and having a little trouble. Using Win7 64-bit, and since alt+tab doesn't work while the game is running, decided I'd run it in windowed mode...
    And I can't get any windowed mode. I can't even change any settings in ddraw.ini, because it's not there. No .ini file.
    Running from a disc install, upgraded to 1.2 and then 1.3.5.

12. NovaRain

NovaRain Casual Modder

Mar 10, 2007
    For hi-res patch settings, you need to edit f1_res.ini, not ddraw.ini.

13. MathU41

Apr 18, 2007
    Sounds reasonable. I'm still not seeing anything relating to windows or graphics.

14. NovaRain

NovaRain Casual Modder

Mar 10, 2007
    Not sure why you didn't see these in INI:
    Code:
    ; Set GRAPHICS_MODE=0 to enable Basic mode which supports resolution change only. 
    ; Set GRAPHICS_MODE=1 to enable Direct Draw 7 mode. 
    ; Set GRAPHICS_MODE=2 to enable DirectX9 mode. 
    GRAPHICS_MODE=1

; Set the Fullscreen colours here.
    ; 8 for 8bit colour output (original)
    ; 16 for 16bit colour output (set only if your not using Sfall with graphics modes 4 or 5)
    ; 32 for 32bit colour output (set only if your not using Sfall with graphics modes 4 or 5)
    COLOUR_BITS=16

; Set WINDOWED=1 to enable windowed mode. 
    WINDOWED=1

15. Bob6235

Bob6235 First time out of the vault

Jun 24, 2015
    So apparently this mod is not needed if you install fixt because it is already combined with fixt.

But it is not clear if you need to install it if you install "Fallout 2 Restoration Project 2.3.3 (Unofficial Expansion)", does the restoration project include this mod?

16. NovaRain

NovaRain Casual Modder

Mar 10, 2007
    Yes it does.

17. MathU41

Apr 18, 2007
    Huh. Because it's not there. Use the search function for 'graphics,' 'fullscreen,' and 'colour,' and all I can find at all is:
    Code:
    [MAIN]
    ;##################################################################################################################
    ;Set the screen resolution here
    SCR_WIDTH=1600
    SCR_HEIGHT=900

;Set the number of colours here
    ; 8 for 8bit(original)
    ; 16 for 16bit colour (set only if your not using Sfall with graphics modes 4 or 5)
    COLOUR_BITS=16        

;Text displayed on the Main-menu for the Options/Game Preferences window.
    OPTIONS_TEXT=options

18. NovaRain

NovaRain Casual Modder

Mar 10, 2007
    I have a feeling that there are more than one f1_res.ini in your system due to its UAC_AWARE setting.
    Or just extract the original f1_res.ini from hi-res patch (Fallout1_High_Resolution_Patch_4.1.8.exe), the INI should be 9,629 bytes.

19. MathU41

Apr 18, 2007
    I don't see any more, but maybe the version has an effect. I downloaded 4.1.7 from the Downloads section. I'll try 4.1.8 from the thread.

20. MathU41

Apr 18, 2007
    Aaaand there it is. Needed an upgrade.
    Thanks. Just wish I saw that in the Download section first.

Now to play around with settings until I can get it both pretty and not too tiny to see things.