How did you discover Fallout ?

Discussion in 'General Fallout Discussion' started by PsychoSniper, Jan 20, 2004.

1. 0wing

0wing Mods will fix you up

Mar 23, 2015
    Probably in preparation for FO3 back in 2007. Due to poor localization my reason didn't get it but by my soul I literally sank into the world of people survived nuclear apocalypse and their problems. Then I think after FO3 I got Fallout 2. Same story but the game felt more exhausting than enjoyable and rather disjoined. And sadly no post-apocalypse vibe at second glance. At first time I liked FO2 a lot though.

2. mithrap

mithrap Ring a ding-ding, baby

May 17, 2016
    I was seven years old in 1997, when Fallout 1 came out. It took a year for the game to be distributed here in France, so I discovered it in 1998.

We had these "PC jeux", which were magazines with a CD containing about 12 demos of random games + one gallery of a sologirl on the sound of a midi track. So, obviously, I had no access to the CD. Until one day, I sneaked behind my parents' back and installed all the demos on the computer. There was usually the demo of one big title, and a dozen of local little titles. I didn't have a game store around my village, so demos were the best I had. I installed Fallout's demo and was litteraly blown away, even if I didn't speak english back then, and didn't understand a thing about the dialogs. It was dark. Violent. Creepy. Fun. Simple. It turned on my potato (yeah, even by 1998's standards, my family's computer was a potato. My experience with games was mainly with reading articles about them so a game like Fallout was a dream come true : it was like it could run on anything).
    It was the game I wanted.

A few months later, I went with my father at a local electronic shop for whatever reason, and he took me to the office, where he had a meeting. For me, people sitting in front of computers could only be video game testers, so I talked about that amazing demo, for this game that I couldn't find anywhere. Turns out, the intern had Fallout 1 on his accounting computer, and he allowed me to play it when his boss wasn't around. I had 2 minutes of the real Fallout game before the intern's boss came back and he had to shut it. But these two minutes were enough : I knew that there were other environments than the first area of Junktown (which was the demo level), and that you could make rats explode next to a mysterious bunker door. This game had promises.

Everytime my parents went to town, I went with them because there was one game store that had opened, and I checked if they had Fallout everytime. It took me a year to find the box of Fallout 2 (I didn't even know there was a Fallout 2 !), and I had to chit chat my way into making my parents believe that it wasn't a violent game, but an educational one about chernobyl. Obviously, they didn't buy it. Neither the game nor my half assed excuse for a story. Well... My mother didn't.
    A few weeks later, my father and I were at the store again and he bought it to me, but I had to wait for my mother to go on a trip to play it, so that she wouldn't get mad. And, I had to help cleaning the house until then. When the store owner saw my father buying Fallout 2, he told him that he could order the first one too.
    So, a few weeks later, when my mother went away, I had Fallout 1 and 2. I'll never forget the feeling of freedom when I first launched them, and the joy of discovering that they held all the promises that kept me waiting for the year.

AND there was also KKND 2 just a while after, so in my mind, I had the Fallout RPGs AND the strategy game. It was just perfect :)

3. iGrievous

iGrievous Star Paladin

May 31, 2016
    Back in 2010 when a buddy of mine let me borrow his copy of Fallout 3. I was instantly hooked to the retro-futuristic aesthetic as well as the lore behind the series. From there I remember being obsessed with tracking down a copy of Fallout 1, which eventually I did (The bundle that came with 1, 2 and Tactics). Unlike most I was able to adapt to the isometric, turn-based style of the game pretty easily. A lot of what I saw was already familiar to me due to having played Fallout 3. To this day I've beaten Fallout 1, I'm halfway through Fallout 2 and I occasionally play 4 and NV here and there.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  4. Mr.Moe

Mr.Moe It Wandered In From the Wastes

Aug 27, 2009
    I was like 13 when I got my hands on Fallout 2.

My brother got a CD with like 30 pirated games on it, one of it Fallout 2. The game was in english (not my native tongue), video content was missing and maybe some other game files too.

I understood maybe 20% of the dialogue, I never received the vault jumpsuit (was probably tied to the temple video sequence) and I couldn't use guns with the tribal skin or the game would crash.
    Nonetheless I fell in love with the game, got my hands on original copies(right language this time, but no kids and violence) and still rate it as my favorite game (F2, closely followed by F1)

Seeing the Horrigan-Farmer scene for the first time was SHOCKING. Never seen something quite like it in a video game before or since.

• [Like] [Like] x 2
  5. gwaedpoeth

gwaedpoeth First time out of the vault

Mar 20, 2016
    I played the demo of fallout off a PC Format magazine cd. Promtly bought the game and played it over and over. Got the sequel and enjoyed it even more. Have not played any of the other Fallout games.

6. Riven326

Riven326 First time out of the vault

Dec 2, 2015
    Fallout 3. Prior to that I didn't even know the others existed. It wasn't until recently that I got Fallout 1&2 on Steam and played them. I completed Fallout 1 and am working on 2. It was hard at first to get into the games because they are so different. But once I put some time into them I really appreciate them.

I'd love to see the games remastered though. Not in 3D like the modern games, but with a new graphics engine, new UI, improved gameplay mechanics, and so on.

7. CerberusGate

CerberusGate I should save my game in a whole new slot

Jun 6, 2016
    Fallout 3. Before 3, I've only ever heard of the Fallout series from gaming shows mentioning news about them and brief snippets of game-play videos. I've completed 1, 2, and New Vegas (and forced myself through 4) multiple times since then. Going from New Vegas to 1 took some re-adjusting but once I did, I had a great time with the classics and think them to be gems in gaming. Fallout 2 and Fallout New Vegas share a spot as my favorite Fallout game.

8. Slayerite

Slayerite Hates (virtually) Everyone on the site.

Jul 13, 2016
    Fallout: New Vegas. My brother got me into it. Seemed good.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  9. LanguidLeo

LanguidLeo First time out of the vault

Jul 12, 2016
    The guy in the apartment across from me traded me FO2 for a gram of weed haha

My initial thought? "What's with the goofy dude giving a thumbs up on the disk? Probably gonna be stupid." I was very wrong.

• [Like] [Like] x 6
  10. mithrap

mithrap Ring a ding-ding, baby

May 17, 2016
    Poor boy must have been desperate to barter Fallout 2 for a gram of weed. You sure won the trade :)

• [Like] [Like] x 4
  11. Prone Squanderer

Prone Squanderer A bit of a Sillius Soddus.

Jan 3, 2016
    Fallout 3 was where I started, when I was given a copy. I really enjoyed it and was curious about the first two. Despite never having played turn-based games before I loved both Fallout 1 and 2, still do along with Vegas. I barely play Fallout 3 anymore.

12. Cooldawg86

Cooldawg86 It Wandered In From the Wastes

Dec 25, 2015
    I started from Fallout 4 because I saw the settlement building. I was like YES PLEASE!
    Nah I started with fallout 1 on a shitty Linux based mini laptop.

13. Kenneth E Lawson

Kenneth E Lawson First time out of the vault

Aug 15, 2016
    In my case, the hype for Fallout 4 actually backfired. It looked cool, but I didn't want to spend $60 and I don't like the idea of going through the Steam checkpoint to play games I've paid for. Naturally, that means I'm acquainted with GOG, and when they offered 1, 2, and Tactics dirt cheap I bought 'em. I tried 1 a few times, but never got past Junktown and the Hub. It was only last week that I finally finished the game with the help of a walkthrough, and now I can't stop playing!

I wondered why Bethesda's name wasn't on it, and that led me to do some research. I read about the history of the series and all of the lawsuits, and how there was a group of cranky old bastards who hated what Bethesda had done and wouldn't let go of the original Fallout, and I thought, "I want in!" It's only been in the last year that I've started playing PC games (I was a Super Nintendo fan), and Fallout is the first game that I've really loved. This is obviously a game that was built from the ground up by people who cared, not a marketing move by a corporation looking for some new paint to throw on their generic "product." I'm glad I found the original first. I just wonder when I'll make it to Fallout 2!

• [Like] [Like] x 6
  14. Gizmojunk

Gizmojunk Vault Senior Citizen

Nov 26, 2007
    Welcome to NMA Kenneth. :boy:

In my case, I was playing Baldur's Gate, when during the week a friend moved back to town, and asked if he could get his mail ordered Interplay anthology sent to my address ~since he hadn't his own just yet. I gave him his games when they arrived, and thought nothing of it after that... But a few weeks later he gave me the set, and it included Fallout.

I began Fallout coming from Baldur's Gate, and within minutes, I thought, "This was a mistake; what IS this?". But after an hour I think I was hooked on it, and wouldn't stop playing until I'd completed it; which may not have been on the first PC. I don't think I found a better RPG until Planescape; and even then Planescape is not the better game.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  15. Francis H

Francis H It Wandered In From the Wastes

Aug 3, 2016
    I played F3 first, though it was too dull to hold my attention. I actually had found a physical copy in a store of the first two games once but I thought they were cheap knockoffs trying to get people to buy them because of brand recognition. How perspectives change.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  16. Kenneth E Lawson

Aug 15, 2016
    Thanks for the welcome! I'm also fairly new to internet forums in general, and that seems to be the lion's share of the site's content. After twenty years, the amount of material here is daunting! I felt like I needed a button on the home page saying "Start Here." I do know it's bad form to repeat something that's already been discussed extensively. You've been in the wasteland for a long time; do you have any suggestions for me on how to get up to speed?

17. Francis H

Francis H It Wandered In From the Wastes

Aug 3, 2016
    Although you did not ask me, I would recommend you just check out some of the forums and just make some posts. See what you like to talk about and go at it.

• [Like] [Like] x 2
  18. The_Guide

The_Guide First time out of the vault

Sep 30, 2015
    PC Gamer. I forget which year it was.

19. Gizmojunk

Gizmojunk Vault Senior Citizen

Nov 26, 2007
    • [Like] [Like] x 2
  20. Kenneth E Lawson

Aug 15, 2016