Last Hope mod V1.081

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by Forgotten Knight, Oct 9, 2006.

What do you like about this mod?

1. Quests

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Locations

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Both quests and locations

7 vote(s)
    77.8%
  4. I'm new to RPG concept, i have no idea what i'm doing but i like it!

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. liberty90

liberty90 First time out of the vault

Jun 16, 2018
    Yeah, I noticed the same issue, I can confirm this.

Nothing game breaking, at least if you have recent save; as there is no 100% need to use this manhole (there is also other non-bugged entrance). But it would be great to have this detail fixed^^

----
    By the way, food and thirst system seems to be working great. Adds realism and immersion, though it would be good to eat sometimes other stuff than endless pre-war rations xd

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  2. _Pyran_

_Pyran_ First time out of the vault

Jan 31, 2017
    So, strange, but acknowledge, no crash, but throws in the western side behind the mountain.

3. _Pyran_

Jan 31, 2017
    The mod has problems with scripts.
    Locations can be loaded empty (they have already been searched). When re-entering the location, NPCs can attack the player or completely ignore him. For example: Miners town - description of the dog - "dead", and when re-entering no dog, only the pool of blood.
    (see the screen #00015)

To avoid this you must set the game difficulty: Hard or Medium. Dont use Easy level!

A small report on LHm 1.079.1:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    • [Like] [Like] x 1
  4. odszczep

odszczep First time out of the vault

Jun 3, 2018
    Need help. I dont know, It is bug or my mistake. In Farmers Town I need to find 10 gecko pelts. I ask hunter in bar and go hunting, but hunter attacks me (he stay in green colour, dont turn red) after killing gecko. Any idea?

5. _Pyran_

Jan 31, 2017
    Hello. Its bug. Trapper should not be bitten or hurt, otherwise we get an bug. (simmilar bugs can be found later.)

6. odszczep

odszczep First time out of the vault

Jun 3, 2018
    Thanks. Trapper did not hurt and we kill all geckos. But what to do now? I try talking with him (only says "Its hunting time" and dont give dialoge window), i try get gecko pelts but couldnt, i try to use knife - not working, searching geckos in maps edge and with scanner - nothing. I dont have any idea how to get those pelts.

7. _Pyran_

Jan 31, 2017
    Check whether all geckos are killed (10 gold).
    Try to replay (load erly savegame).

8. Hubal

Hubal It Wandered In From the Wastes

Sep 11, 2014
    Tried this mod, and its full of little bugs. Beware of spoilers.

But what really pissed me off is that:
    1.First guardian is extremely difficult (basically you need to tag unarmed and have at least 9 AP to make kitting marathon)
    and even if you win there is no reward (should have just left, door is open)
    2.There is room with 5 radscorpions so taking them on is hard. How about I will lure them to that room full of traps? Well I am out of luck, no xp that way. Also no death animation for radscorpions dying to that traps. Why are critters seeing though walls?
    3.You just need to drink water and eat food every 10 seconds ( nuka cola won't do also iguana on a stick does nothing)
    I am basically forced to drink and eat as everything is automatic. Even if eat "manually" when i am hungry, those rations just do nothing.
    One ration and one canteen of water should be enough for 24 hours. If I get thirsty and hungry and i reload game when I was not thirsty and hungry I am still thirsty and hungry. Its haunting me.
    That hunger system is good idea but just poorly implemented, just annoyance nothing more.
    4. Encounters every step. EVERY encounter is WP Patrol fending off X. Also where is loot from dead WP patrolmen and raiders?
    5. Game told me that I found Vault Suit. No mention of PIP Boy. Game constantly crashes while opening that chest, also model changes after I leave map.
    6. They locked me up and guards are shooting on sight in prison. Going down the hole doesn't help.

I really like new stealing checks btw.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  9. Forgotten Knight

Forgotten Knight Time traveler stuck in time... Modder

May 24, 2006
    @Hubal
    Hello, thanks for checking out LastHope mod.
    Next update will cover some of the stuff you mentioned, other things like random encounter rate can be changed inside ddraw ini file. I will get into details later, busy atm.

@_Pyran_
    So far i fixed most of the issues you mentioned in your screenshots but some still elude me. One example is dead dog description. Other, a bit more complicated issue is having a character with INT=<3. Fixing it will require rewriting scripts and dialogs but the point is there since the player has #freedom to choose, i will make sure that freedom comes with a cost.

@liberty90 and others
    I moved the manhole to more suitable place to approximately correspond to the mine entry points.

I'm checking possible script errors as well, removing old bugged scroll blockers is on my list too. As i mentioned earlier, using two mappers at the same time caused some issues but enough about that alright.

Stay tuned fellow wastelanders...

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  10. Hubal

Sep 11, 2014
    I really wish I could help you with your mod, cause I think it has great potential, but the only thing I can do is bitch about bugs.
    I will report some more when I have more time to play.

11. _Pyran_

Jan 31, 2017
    Hello. Thanks.
    Dead dog - this bug/error appear only, if you play the game on "Easy difficult" (problem with scripts). But, not just only dog, other bugs... Also, people can attack, guards ignore you, scripts refuse to work... and other strangenesses. The best way is to play on the Middle or Hard/Complex difficult level, there are no such problems.

INT<3 : Edit script/add second answer:
    1. "err..." (looped).
    2."I beat..." - WP:" Yes! (Smiling). Go, ahead, freedom...". (dialog is closed)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  12. naossano

naossano Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Oct 19, 2006
    - The mod is very long and i didn't think to bug report early enough. So i migt have forgotten stuff.

- The thread is also very long and i might repeat some stuff already said.

- I took a GoG version, slapped Killap's unoficial Patch on it (fixes only), used Lexx's installation method to install Last Hope 1.08 from Drobovic Database, then added Mash's high-res mod. If there was a patch000.dat file, i must have removed it, because there isn't one in my mod folder.

- As i am often clueless about what to do next, i have cheated a lot with F12se.exe to discover next contents. This isn't a bug, but i feel that the mod lacks guidance. Like giving you clues on where to find stuff, or telling you when you met the conditions to finish a quest, or how to open this door or that door.

- In Miner town, all the building and brahmins pens corner walls have a *?* in a red square. I guess a picture is missing. Beside, you can walk through each of those corner walls.

- In some underground area owned by some Eric guy that everyone wants me to talk to. There is a mission involving a melee fight. If i kill the opponent, Eric is pissed. But the opponent never give up the fight, even when lying on the ground.

- I think it was north of Golden Valley. At some point, you reach a cave, with some npc in it. They have nothing to say, as if they had no scripts.

- There is another cave below the house of an untrustworthy character. The cave has prisoners and guards. I guess the guards should have attacked me when i reached the place. They didn't. When i went down a second time, they all left. Although, they waited me outside.

- The untrustworthy character sent me to pick the money from a guy. I ended up not being able to talk to that guy again. The quest still isn't failed.

- Larry or Jerry want me to meet him to fight deathclaws at Canville. When i go talk to him, he says something like *Let's go* and the dialog just close. We don't go anywhere. If i talk to him again, the same thing happens. No way to move forward.

- The Holodisks at MRC don't work. Dunno the purpose of the place.

- Dunno the purpose of UMB as i can't interact with the door. And if i cheat to get inside, i can't interact with the elevator door inside the bunker.

- Dunno the purpose of the military base inside Golden Valley.

I am still on it. That mod is impressive. There is so much content. I can't believe it is so old and from a such tiny crew. The locations are huge and quite well done, with a lot of npc, lot of relationships between locations, and some nice twists here and there. I juste hope it to be more accessible and reach more players. It deseves it.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  13. Forgotten Knight

May 24, 2006
    Hey there, naossano, thanks for sharing some of your mod experience, let's do some quick Q&A because i have more work to do:

Q - The thread is also very long and i might repeat some stuff already said.
    A - If something causes trouble ingame, either i didn't fix this or there may be some mod compatibility issues, i will get back to this

Q - I took a GoG version, slapped Killap's unoficial Patch on it (fixes only), used Lexx's installation method to install Last Hope 1.08 from Drobovic Database, then added Mash's high-res mod. If there was a patch000.dat file, i must have removed it, because there isn't one in my mod folder.
    A - Mod installation shouldn't be a problem. Some time ago i edited the first thread page, added fairly detailed installation explanation for this mod only

Q - As i am often clueless about what to do next, i have cheated a lot with F12se.exe to discover next contents. This isn't a bug, but i feel that the mod lacks guidance. Like giving you clues on where to find stuff, or telling you when you met the conditions to finish a quest, or how to open this door or that door.
    A - I know, this kind of game requires a lot of "coding" for anything to work. Old clues button is missing but i'm testing something similar, i'll see how it goes and implement this into LH mod if it works.

Q - In Miner town, all the building and brahmins pens corner walls have a *?* in a red square. I guess a picture is missing. Beside, you can walk through each of those corner walls.
    A - Mapper issue, sometimes after saving a map if "toggle block obj view" isn't turned on.

Q - In some underground area owned by some Eric guy that everyone wants me to talk to. There is a mission involving a melee fight. If i kill the opponent, Eric is pissed. But the opponent never give up the fight, even when lying on the ground.
    A - Your opponent will fight you until his or your health goes down really low. Knocking your opponent out of combat works as well.

Q - I think it was north of Golden Valley. At some point, you reach a cave, with some npc in it. They have nothing to say, as if they had no scripts.
    A - Golden Valley caves, corrupted map data/editor issue, fixed.

Q - There is another cave below the house of an untrustworthy character. The cave has prisoners and guards. I guess the guards should have attacked me when i reached the place. They didn't. When i went down a second time, they all left. Although, they waited me outside.
    A - It was possible to "sneak" down undetected due to a small scripting oversight. Changed, now player will alert the guards.

Q - The untrustworthy character sent me to pick the money from a guy. I ended up not being able to talk to that guy again. The quest still isn't failed.
    A - Added an additional "solution" for Jim's problem.

Q - Larry or Jerry want me to meet him to fight deathclaws at Canville. When i go talk to him, he says something like *Let's go* and the dialog just close. We don't go anywhere. If i talk to him again, the same thing happens. No way to move forward.
    A - After that dialog line, another map loads, that's what i get from extensive testing. Atm, i can't really pinpoint what possibly went wrong in your game.

Q - The Holodisks at MRC don't work. Dunno the purpose of the place.
    A - Holodisks at MRC contain only security codes, no other data, used to activate security countermeasures. Purpose of the location still remains unknown to ye who ventures across the wastes.

Q - Dunno the purpose of UMB as i can't interact with the door. And if i cheat to get inside, i can't interact with the elevator door inside the bunker.
    A - This location holds its own dark secrets. If you talk to Ranger Klint, he'll tell you more about it. In order to really spice things up, destroy backup power and find yellow pass key. That should give them something to remember.

Q - Dunno the purpose of the military base inside Golden Valley.
    A - You can do few missions. Also wear a metal armor and act as a new recruit, if you stick around long enough sarge will give you a job.

Q - I am still on it. That mod is impressive. There is so much content. I can't believe it is so old and from a such tiny crew. The locations are huge and quite well done, with a lot of npc, lot of relationships between locations, and some nice twists here and there. I juste hope it to be more accessible and reach more players. It deseves it.
    A - Thanks! Me, myself and i worked so hard on this, with the help of the community we will make Post-Apocalyptic-RPG genre great again!

New update fixed most of the stuff you mentioned, beware of map changes**, therefore it's recommended to have this installed asap.

14. naossano

naossano Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Oct 19, 2006
    Thanks you for your answer and for still providing support for this gem. Seriously, while i am delaying some of the huge recent teamworks mods like Resurrection and Nevada, i don't think there any mod that can compare with this one before the 2010s. (some had more emphasis on replayability, but on a much smaller scale)

I'll install the update and try a new playthrough at some point to see the changes. (maybe end of month)

About the guidance parts, while there might be issues with the code, sometime the design might be confusing.
    A couple of things that i recall.
    - A door can't be opened with regular lockpick, but i can't be interacted with anything either. Sometime, a message saying that you can't do that can helps figure out that it is not a bug, but intended. Also helps make the difference with doors that have to be opened remotely.
    - You killed enough critters or gathered enough evidence to validate a quest, a message in the log can be useful. For instance, I spent a lot of time in the dogs HQ looking for the missing sheriff deputy, while in fact, my character had enough informations for the sheriff.
    - NPC could give more clues when they know where they want to send you.
    - Sometime, it could take me a while to find out that some maps had manholes or green exit grid leading to other maps. But i guess that more subjective.
    - Most locations cannot be reached unless someone tell you about it. It make sense for dungeons, shelters and quest-related locations. Much less for big cities like Canville or Duntown. Being able to stumble on them while moving in the worldmap would make sense.

On the other hand, i guess that some of the stuff might be harder to get, by design, much like the Temple of Trials, or clues about stuff in one place, given by an npc in some entirely different place. But i am not sure it is always intended to be so hard to figure out.

15. Hubal

Sep 11, 2014
    Version 1.81.
    I can't get past first guardian. He is absurdly broken.
    1.He gives me combat knife on first talk telling me that I am better than he thought (without unarmed test). Then he tells me that he will stand aside and take my knife back(without melee test). The doors will not open. Knife still in my inventory.

16. Forgotten Knight

May 24, 2006
    Hello. Unarmed combat trial uses timed_event script procedure which can be bugged sometimes. Quick solution would be to go back to the first hall, without talking to the guard (important) . As you walk across door frame it will trigger the dialog/combat and event should start "normally". if you have a save game before you walked in the fighting hall, you can use these two script files, extract them to your mod data\scripts folder.

Attached Files: