Mobile Games - What's the appeal?

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Crni Vuk, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Squadcar

Squadcar Vault Senior Citizen

Jun 1, 2018
    So if I get Total War Rome on my phone can I stab the water and collect seashells as spoils of war on the go or while on the shitter? Can I appoint Incitatus to the Senate? If Total War Rome doesn't have these features there is no way I can see how that is a 10/10.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 2
  2. Alphons

Alphons National Beholder

Aug 9, 2017
    I like mobile games quite a bit, as it allows me to play on the bus or in a waiting room. I don't get the appeal of freemium, so I only play paid games (Rebuild, Cook, Serve, Delicious, Cultist Simulator and Choice of Games) or the ones that use donations (I happily gave 4$ to Age of Strategy dev).

3. MutantScalper

MutantScalper Dark side in da houssah

Nov 22, 2009
    I think you can connect a controller to a smart phone, or use a blueray-controller or something. Or a blueray keyboard. The screen, if 6 inches or smaller, tend to be small for most games. I'd prefer to have at least 8+ inch pad or something for gaming.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 2
  4. R.Graves

R.Graves Confirmed Retard

Apr 21, 2016
    Crpgs would work amazingly on mobile devices and I can't understand why there have been no games like that made for mobile or at least a port of planescape or something.

5. AureliusofPhoenix

AureliusofPhoenix King of Wessex

Jun 25, 2018
    There has been a port of Planescape Torment though. And the Baldur’s Gate series. And Icewind Dale. You got bad info my dude

6. Squadcar

Jun 1, 2018
    Beamdog has those games everywhere man, I think they're even bringing them to PS4 and Xbox One. RTwP just got even more annoying!

7. Buxbaum666

Buxbaum666 Heterostructured Nanorod oTO Orderite

Dec 5, 2003
    If you're looking for a great mobile game, buy Sorcery!. It's basically a digital choose-your-own-adventure book. Great writing, nice artwork, amazing game. I'm currently re-playing the first two chapters.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  8. Squadcar

Jun 1, 2018
    Well shit, the game looks cool but it's 5 bucks on the Play Store. I guess good games without bullshit mobile atrocities included have to cost something. If I ever feel compelled to get a phone game that is worth playing while sitting in offices waiting, I'll keep that one in mind. I tried Etherium for a few levels but it was just basic Diablo and not that interesting. Someone may like it though and it is free seemingly without BS money making schemes.

9. Buxbaum666

Buxbaum666 Heterostructured Nanorod oTO Orderite

Dec 5, 2003
    It's probably a bit much for just the first game, which is rather short and can be played through in a few hours (depending on your choices, and you can rewind to the beginning and explore vastly different paths). Ten bucks for the first two is a very good price though, as the second chapter is huge.
    It might've been wiser for them to combine the first two games into one because the price-gameplay-ratio put quite a few people off, especially those who just rush through the game. Then again, the latter are probably the wrong audience, anyway.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    • [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  10. valcik

valcik So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Dec 20, 2008
    AFAIK you can play turn based blobbers on mobile devices too. The only mobile game I ever tried was Undercroft for iOS though, decent Czech blobber, and I've played PC port on PC anyway..

11. Squadcar

Jun 1, 2018
    That's kinda cool but I was referring to the fact that Baldur's Gate, Planescape, and whatnot are all RTwP which is a system I already dislike using and I can't imagine folks trying to play those on console or mobile. I like Planescape a lot so far, but I hate the RTwP. I'd rather just have turns.

12. BigGuyCIA

BigGuyCIA Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Oct 26, 2016
    It's good on public transit like bart/muni when you don't want to make eye-contact with a crack addict or person tripping balls 2 rows down.

13. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    Now we also know, what you do on the toilet. Great.