"Modern" Fallout

Discussion in 'General Fallout Discussion' started by Bloodway, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Bloodway

Bloodway First time out of the vault

Sep 2, 2016
    Let's just say if you removed the retrofutristic 1950s aesthetic and replaced it with contemporary modern era as of today but with Ghouls, FEV/Supermutants, etc how different things would have been?

2. aenemic

aenemic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Jun 4, 2008
    It would have been extremely generic. What's your point?

3. Vergil

Vergil ♂DEEP♂DARK♂FANTASIES

Jul 8, 2014
    The radio stations and some buildings and fashion and a few other superficial stuff would be a bit different looking and that's about it. The overuse of "le wacky retro-50s xDDDDDDD" is a bethesda thing. Fallout 2 had lots of real world weapons in it that came after the 50s for example.

4. Millim

Millim What the fuck is this for a shit?!

Oct 13, 2010
    It would have been rage with a different name.

5. eissa

eissa Gall óGlaigh Lady of War

Jan 7, 2016
    it would be called wasteland 2 and after reset perhaps?

• [Like] [Like] x 2
  6. R.Graves

R.Graves Functionally Defective

Apr 21, 2016
    Bethesdas fallout would lose what little charm it has imo. They rely to much on retrofuturism though. It was really only there in the classic Fallouts in the form of not-so-subtle references such as Decker's Maltese falcon. The classics were much more anachronistic. Drawing inspiration from Damn near the entire 20th century.

• [Like] [Like] x 2
  7. Einhanderc7

Einhanderc7 Vat dipped, grown and still oozing with perfection

Apr 22, 2016
    I think if a modern Fallout didn't shy away from real human horror and crimes it would be viable. basically the human condition is Fallout, choose your space.

8. The Dutch Ghost

The Dutch Ghost Carbon Dated and Proud

Jan 11, 2004
    Going to transfer this to the general Fallout forum, the General Forum is better used for non Fallout or video game related subjects.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  9. R.Graves

Apr 21, 2016
    You know what I appreciate about you? You announce every little change you make. You're a good mod.

• [Like] [Like] x 2
  10. Throatpunch

Throatpunch Vault Fossil

Apr 14, 2016
    Better than 'all about that base, no trouble'

11. Baccius

Baccius First time out of the vault

Sep 28, 2016
    If it wasn't based on 1950 it wouldn't be timeless, it would be a prediction of the future instead, and since the "modern time" keeps changing(it was made in 97 which is a different time than 2004 and way different from nowadays) it would be a show of how things were everytime a new game was made

12. R.Graves

Apr 21, 2016
    that doesn't even come close to making sense.

13. Marinc

Marinc Per Aspera Ad Astra

Feb 6, 2017
    I think it depends on how it would be pulled off, sure 50's style does make fallout "complete", but i think if the right people did it it'd still be a good game.

14. naossano

naossano Vault Fossil

Oct 19, 2006
    Aesthetic inspiration is one of the least relevant things on the franchise imo.
    There is so so many things that weight more...

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  15. DarthVenis

DarthVenis First time out of the vault

Jan 8, 2017
    Agreed. In the right hands, any aesthetic would work just fine. Bethesda used the 1950's aesthetic of original Fallout, and so what? They fucked it up anyway.

• [Like] [Like] x 2
  16. Sn1p3r187

Sn1p3r187 Carolinian Shaolin Monk

Apr 7, 2014
    You know I've thought up this scenario too. I think it'd be more like the trailer for Cyberpunk 2077. It'd be seen as a prediction of the future in some way. As long as it didn't shy away from real world crimes and evil then it's fine. We'd probably see a lot of androids.

17. ThatZenoGuy

ThatZenoGuy Residential Sexy Anthro Goddess...Mutant.

Nov 8, 2016
    Fallout was never about the 1950's aesthetic, it never was.

In FO1-2, just about every place is jury rigged from scrap postwar, built by people, etc.

The only 50's thing I can think of, is the looks on the cars, which is such a minor detail I can't be bothered if it was to change, the highwayman was nice because of its practicality, not its minor (but still sexy) aesthetic.

A 'modern' fallout would be just like Fallout 1-2, the only changes would be the appearance, which has nothing to do with what makes Fallout so nice.

• [Like] [Like] x 2
  18. Charwo

Charwo First time out of the vault

Mar 9, 2017
    If they did away with the Atomic punk decor itself, not much. If they took away the 50s B-movie SCIENCE! it would be a very different game to play. A better game, in my estimation. The best of all possible worlds would be keeping the AtmoicPunk design aesthetic, justify it in detail and use real science. So you'd get a green more realistic wasteland with real animals being preyed on my molerats, deathclaws, cazadores and sapient raccoons.

Add in some pre-war ecological primitivism to justify all the tribals, and it's awesomesauce.

19. BigGuyCIA

BigGuyCIA Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Oct 26, 2016
    It's all over the place, tbh. The problem with Bethesda is they've doubled down on the art style. Everything is a facade and there's no substance to any of it. They're still ironing out shit that happened in the past and talking about the wicked deeds of Corporation Evil McEvilFace.