Obsidian hit with another round of layoffs

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Brother None, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    As the next DLC continues to be mired in vagueness, and despite New Vegas' success, Obsidian has been hit with yet another round of layoffs, VG247 reports. The complete number of layoffs is unknown, but VG247 lists several of New Vegas' developers: designer and Obsidian veteran Akil Hooper, junior designer Sydney Wolfram and associate producer Tess Treadwell. Only Akil Hooper and QA tester Ashley Betters are confirmed.

2. generalissimofurioso

generalissimofurioso The Hole Time Orderite

Jun 17, 2007
    Well, that sucks.

Hope these guys get back in the game soon.

3. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant

Apr 24, 2005
    Layoffs are shitty, but I'll guess Obsidian needs it... Hope there will (ever) be a time where money isn't a that big deal anymore for them.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  4. Killzig

Killzig It Wandered In From the Wastes

Apr 12, 2003
    Heading off the DS3 bomb before it drops?

5. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    Maybe, but these people weren't involved in that game.

Actually, since these are New Vegas staff, we might have to speculate some of the promised 4 DLCs have been cancelled. Who knows, though? It might just be cyclical spinning down after a large project. Actually, that's the most likely explanation. But let's speculate anyway.

6. Killzig

Killzig It Wandered In From the Wastes

Apr 12, 2003
    Womp womp.

7. Tel Prydain

Tel Prydain First time out of the vault

Apr 23, 2007
    Or it might mean that the rest of the DLC is done and just waiting on the right time to put it out.
    Or maybe Bethesda have desided to focus on marketing for Skyrim and believe that FONV dlc will distract from their hype.

He's hoping for option A.

8. Beelzebud

Beelzebud A Smooth-Skin

Mar 6, 2008
    I just hope Obsidian is healthy, as I want to see them carry the Fallout torch. Was New Vegas perfect? Nope, but it's better than anything we'll get from Bethesda, including F3.

9. The Dutch Ghost

The Dutch Ghost Grouchy old man of NMA Moderator

Jan 11, 2004
    It really sucks and I honestly feel for these people, but I do hope that the DLCs are finished or nearly finished.

To have yet more stuff that I am looking forwards too that will never come out would really depress me.

10. hagren

hagren First time out of the vault

Mar 12, 2010
    That's really awful to hear...especially as I'm currently enjoying Alpha Protocol, and loved the hell out of New Vegas despite the bugs...

11. Elven6

Elven6 It Wandered In From the Wastes

Oct 23, 2010
    Terrible news, I'm playing through Alpha Protocol myself now and I'm really liking it despite the flaws.

I hope they find success though, their games really haven't sold multi millions asides from New Vegas if memory serves right.

12. Surf Solar

Surf Solar So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Aug 20, 2009
    Maybe their just through all the dlc and they try to bugfix them all? Hence the NV guys leaving... This would explain all the huge wait time between the DLC.

13. Dalex

Dalex First time out of the vault

Mar 26, 2011
    Well this could explain lot about our DLC situation.

14. Fallout1FTW

Fallout1FTW Still Mildly Glowing

Oct 25, 2010
    It seems that most people laid off were involved with Fallout NV and subsequent DLCs. I would say that we won't see a new Fallout game from Obsidian for some time. Let's hope Fallout 5 is theirs ;)

Also, I envy those that enjoy AP. :mrgreen:

15. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    Unfortunate, but not unexpected or uncommon. It's very normal to see layoffs from a developer as projects near their conclusions, as staff are made redundant and constitute unnecessary overhead. My best wishes go out to all those who lost their jobs, but I'm sure many can look forward to bright futures, having worked on New Vegas, and it likely means Obsidian as a company will be healthier in the long run.

16. hagren

hagren First time out of the vault

Mar 12, 2010
    Haha, well, I fully expected to hate it after that awfully bland introduction and the setting itself, but being able to sneak and melee in a game quite similar to ME makes me a very happy man :)

Hopefully all the laid off will find a new (and satisfactory) job for their hard work.

17. Atomkilla

Atomkilla Hazel Hegemon oTO Orderite

Dec 26, 2010
    This is bad. I hoped stuff like this wouldn't happen.

18. Payne85

Payne85 First time out of the vault

Apr 24, 2011
    maybe it's just that Bethsoft is pissed of because the hardcore fans loved NV but hated F3...? And therefor decreasing the money they give Obsidian? I can see it.... :P

Oh and hi everyone, Been lurking around this site for about 8 years now but I never registered to write in here, I've read a lot of urs though haha :)

19. TwinkieGorilla

TwinkieGorilla This ghoul has seen it all

Oct 19, 2007
    Sure hope yer right.

20. Elven6

Elven6 It Wandered In From the Wastes

Oct 23, 2010
    Well didn't Bethesda originally announce eight DLC packs for the game? Only one is released so far of course with another coming, so I guess one might assume they're canceled?