Outer World's Obligatory Bad News

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by TorontRayne, Jun 22, 2019.

1. TorontRayne

TorontRayne Chatterbox oTO Staff Member Moderator Orderite

Apr 1, 2005
    https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/06/20/the-outer-worlds-can-be-tailored-to-anyones-taste

Sounds like one of them Arpeegees kidsters.

VATS renamed is still VATS.

I just want to point out that we are at the point where cause and effect is a FEATURE! LOOK KIDS! SKILL CHECKS!

Reactive RPG. Sounds like one of them buzzwords to make it sound like it is not a Bethesda style abomination with slightly better ingredients and less gametime. Enjoy.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    • [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  2. Richwizard

Richwizard Vault Fossil

Jan 18, 2010
    I want this game, partly because it's Obsidian. I'm still likely to wait for modding support.

3. Hulk'O'Saurus

Hulk'O'Saurus It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jul 10, 2018
    Honestly, I am not sure about this game.

Ever since I saw the first trailer right after the shit storm that was 76, I couldn't stop thinking this isn't Obsidian anymore. They look like they've changed, and in a predatory way.

4. Gizmojunk

Gizmojunk Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Nov 26, 2007
    I am disappointed that this (at least implies) that it doesn't matter what tactic the player decides—it always ends up with the same outcome.

I would much prefer that a game (whose dev's claims to track what the player is doing) were to adjust the narrative on the fly, and lock out options as it opens up new ones; potentially leading to different area maps, and definite repercussions to how affected NPCs view the player-character.

To have it so that busting in like Rambo leads to its own ending, but nothing like the outcome for conning their way out with the prize.

I suspect that this could be Leonard's experience with Blizzard influencing the direction of development.
    (Just a guess)

*But Tim's theories & opinions from the last few videos were a bit jarring to say the least.
    Like polymorphic attributes for the numerically adverse.

Though I can't blame them; seeing other—lesser— talents making money hand-over-fist selling relative swill; compared to their concepts... but to an audience that wouldn't appreciate it. This might be them trying to include that audience... Perhaps straddling the line between tolerable opposites—the way Bethesda tries (and has succeeded in the past).

Myself, I was marginally disappointed with the visuals; it was similar for me with with Cyan's Riven vs. Obduction, and even with InXile's Bard's Tale 4. I am beginning to think that Unreal Engine is partly the culprit, or an inexperience using it.

*Obduction also caused me Sim-sickness. :( I am hoping that Outer Worlds will not do the same.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  5. naossano

naossano So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Oct 19, 2006
    I didn't know that the point of rpg elements was to save ammos...

6. Gizmojunk

Nov 26, 2007
    That's a point of well made FP Shooters; but who can upstage Blood?

7. Eshanas

Eshanas Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Jul 6, 2016
    While I was already turned off by the setting, this is a strong nail in the coffin. I'm more lenient when it comes to mechanics, but if the Devs can't pay attention to the small details and allow for multiple endings for quests, settlements, or the main plotline, then you ultimately have an interactive story. I'm sure they'll throw in a few ending cutscenes, sure, but me, I like my replayability, having half the map basically locked off for one reason or the other because you're not in some faction/uniform, and stuff like that. Why does it seem that the lack of detail and plot-paths is becoming more and more prevalent of late?

8. NovaRain

NovaRain Casual Modder Modder

Mar 10, 2007
    Do you mean in the demo IGN watched you still have to fight even if you sneak all the way through undetected? I'd guess maybe it's just one of the quests has scripted event (triggering alarms no matter what).

9. Paladin Hank

Paladin Hank It Wandered In From the Wastes

May 6, 2018
    Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky are behind this project, so I'm not really worried. If they guarantee that this game will be good, I find no reason not to trust them. They're responsible for games such as Fallout 1, Arcanum and Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, after all. What little gameplay I've seen so far has got me certainly interested in their game. But then again, the Outer Worlds might suck. We can't really know for sure yet. We'll just have to wait and see.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  10. Gizmojunk

Nov 26, 2007
    In this case, I was referring to the comment: "Those who love shooters can, of course, blast their way through the campaign [or not]". I am all for having the option to shoot their way though all encounters... but not if the end result is exactly the same as having taken a diplomatic or stealthy approach. IMO there needs to be side effects of the path chosen; and not so simple as just to steal/ buy / or extort by force.

For instance... A person coerced might give subtly different information than if genuinely conned or charmed out of it; while stolen (or overheard) information might be incomplete (or more complete —or missing certain context) such that the outcome (or later challenge) of each is not exactly identical to that gained of the other tactics.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 4
  11. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant

Apr 24, 2005
    Is that some big ass biased newspost for the sake of it?

It's just how it is in Deus Ex, Bloodlines, FNV, etc. What's the problem?

So? Folks liked it.

You advertise what your game is good at. Bethsoft only advertises the shooting shit in Fo4, for obvious reason. Obsidian advertises c&c and it's not right either. lol.

Bla bla bla bla.

Obviously Outer World's is Obsidians take on recreating the success of New Vegas. Will it work out? Dunno. Probably not, because a big part of FNVs longevity also comes from its moddability, which the Outer World's won't have.
    Besides that, so far it seems to be exactly what folks who liked FNV wanted ever since, and that Bethsoft was unable to deliver with Fo4.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 3
  12. Eshanas

Jul 6, 2016
    Exactly, the scenarios and opportunities that emerge from subtle or different actions is not only a treat but an exercise in fleshing out the world, rewarding actions, and an interest in detail from the Devs.

13. TorontRayne

TorontRayne Chatterbox oTO Staff Member Moderator Orderite

Apr 1, 2005
    Lexx you sound like a butthurt fanboy that can't take a joke. Feel free to write news for mindless shooters if you like. I offered a position to any competent person willing. We can use all the help we can get. You have complained about the quality of news here for some time with little contribution. You can see that the PR for this game sounds more like Deus Ex, less like Fallout New Vegas, right? Like FNV should be some gold standard in the first place....

Biased...pffft.

:lol:

The game is short. Touting the ability to use three methods of entry to complete tasks. YOU CAN SHOOT YOUR WAY THROUGH GUYS! Please buy our game!

That is what I read. Look I know you frequent Obsidian forums, but don't expect me to sugar coat another entry in a long line of FPS RPG-Lite ripoffs. I want isometric with real time with pause or turnbased combat. I want a game like that without dragons, elves, fireballs, and a save the world plot.

Should I feign excitement and awe for something that looks like everything else? I don't care either way. People read these posts as me being resentful and so bent out of shape, but I'm just doing my job. I could care less if Outer Worlds is a poor man's Fallout with a slightly better designer. It is Fallout 3 except...shorter apparently.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    • [Rad] [Rad] x 4
  14. Norzan

Norzan Vault Senior Citizen

Apr 7, 2017
    I literally feel nothing for this game whenever i see gameplay. I have reached a point that some person that worked on a game i liked is not reassurance that their new game will be good. Everybody will eventually produce a blunder, nobody is perfect.

And games like Fallout 1, Arcanum and Bloodlines 1 were made literally decades ago, people change over time and some for the worst.

Some people may consider being negative the worst mentality to have, i consider being too excited just as bad, if not more.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 5
  15. R.Graves

R.Graves Confirmed Retard

Apr 21, 2016
    In favor of the term "reactive rpg"
    Wow almost sounds like what an RPG is! This genre/term is more hijacked and diluted than the survival horror genre I swear to God. They shouldn't have to specify shit like this.

And honestly from this "bad news" a lot of these descriptors sounds like another new Vegas which is probably one of the best games of all time so...

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  16. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant

Apr 24, 2005
    I don't really care about the game as of now. Sounds to me like you are butthurt about my criticism.

What? Since the forum theme changed I barely read & post here anymore.
    Just checked my recent posts to be sure. Turns out I'm usually only in the modding board. Guess you are confusing me with someone else.

Yes, unnecessarily edgy and codex-esque.

I see what you're getting at, but the problem is - I'm only in the off-topic areas and only because of the people there. If there is Obsidian to criticize, it happens.

Cool, but how is that a justification for the news writing style?
    (That's a rhetorical question, I don't really care.)

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  17. TheHouseAlwaysWins

TheHouseAlwaysWins Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Nov 28, 2015
    Nah, we don't need any more FPS rpg's or isometric RPG's just for the sake of it. The kinda RPG's we need are one that are based on innovating or shaking up pre-established rules. There needs to be more kinda games like Daggerfall out there. One thing Deus Ex did great is the fact that it incorporates the perk system directly into the worldbuilding via augmentations into it.

18. Gonzalez

Gonzalez Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Aug 21, 2004
    And people complained about Wasteland's 3 "talking heads", when gampleay mechainics are obviously remaining the same. Don't forget this is the company that gave us New Vegas, so while gameplay is obviously not what some of us like, game experience can still be good and the trailers may just be to attract new players. However I do share the worry that now that they have the money to make what everyone else does, they end up making what everyone else does, instead of offering their unique flavor. In this respect, thus far at least, I'm still having more hope for InXile than Obsidian. Only time will tell.

19. Eshanas

Jul 6, 2016
    Just because they made New Vegas nearly a decade ago doesn't mean this will be good now. New Vegas itself was not perfect, far from it. It was just better than Beth's shitpile.

20. Paladin Hank

Paladin Hank It Wandered In From the Wastes

May 6, 2018
    There are very few developers that worked on Fallout: New Vegas that are currently working on the Outer Worlds (only 20 to 30% if I remember correctly) and most of them are probably just programmers.
    And in my opinion, New Vegas only suffers from some technical flaws, which can be blamed on the relatively clunky gamebryo engine. Other than that, I can't really see how the game isn't pretty much perfect.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 3