Question about FRAPS / movie editing

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by PainlessDocM, Apr 3, 2011.

1. PainlessDocM

PainlessDocM Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 5, 2010
    Inspired by Dirk's Let's play videos I got the idea of creating a Fallout longplay.

I recorded the intro with Fraps and to my surprise the file size was over 1 gigabyte.

Can someone recommend a program that can compress these avi files to less ridiculous sizes.

Thanks in advance.

2. TheWesDude

TheWesDude Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 25, 2005
    did you try playing it in a window with 640x480 resolution and recording that?

if you play in a native resolution of your LCD, it would be pretty large

3. Mad Max RW

Mad Max RW Mildly Dipped

Jan 12, 2004
  4. PainlessDocM

Feb 5, 2010
    No I played fullscreen Wesdude, will try playing in a window and check out Autogk.

thanks

5. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    Yes, raw video is extremely large size-wise, because it is capturing the data from your screen bit-perfect. Fraps doesn't do any sort of compression. Rather than upload raw AVI files, you'll want to compress your video into something more reasonably-sized. These days, the H.264 codec is pretty much the best codec out there as far as file size vs. quality goes, and it is widely supported by both software and hardware. If you're uploading to YouTube, you'll absolutely want to use H.264, in an MP4 container format... I prefer MKV files, but they're less compatible.

You can try using Handbrake, it's fairly easy to use and will compress using H.264 (you'll have to play with quality vs. file size to get something you like), however in the past I've had issues getting Fraps AVIs to convert properly using it. Your mileage may vary.

Another option is MeGUI, it's a powerful front-end for a number of popular codecs including H.264 and XviD, but the interface is harder to learn due to being targeted towards more advanced users, and it relies on AviSynth scripts. You can find tutorials on YouTube to help you learn the program. The one thing to remember about using an AviSynth script is that it disables sound by default, so you'll need to edit the script either in MeGUI or Notepad to include sound (change false to true).

Video encoding isn't difficult, but it does require a little bit of knowledge to get the results you want. There are easier solutions (i.e. using Windows Movie Maker/Sony Vegas/VirtualDub), but they will give you less control over the final video quality.

6. PainlessDocM

Feb 5, 2010
    Very informative, thanks.

I tried out HandBrake but for some reason the converted file only contained sound and a grey 'picture'.
    I used the H.264 setting and "web optimised" option.

I will play around with the settings some more.

7. Alphadrop

Alphadrop A right proper chap.

Aug 21, 2008
    I use Premier or After Effects which are pretty easy to use once you know how and allow you to put fancy titles and stuff in.
    However those can be a little costly if you don't have a mate with a copy.

8. Dirk Magirk

Dirk Magirk Interstellar Vacuum Road Warrior oTO Orderite

Oct 30, 2008
    I use Blaze Media Pro after doing my screen captures. I use it to add the audio file and it then compresses the entire audio/video file down to a manageable size - but then, I don't really know what I'm doing.