Rate the above song and post your own.

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum' started by Four Suited Jack, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Fins

Fins It Wandered In From the Wastes

Dec 31, 2017
    Could be a musician, but decided not to. Graduated from 5-year-long music school with excellence and earned some good $ tuning pianos when i was young; perfect pitch ears and a habit to do my best, here, and so i never had a customer any less than happy about their instrument after i was done tuning it. And it was and still is my special point to never use any electronic devices for tuning, because using those make the instrument to sound quite boring, "standard" tembre. Only with tiny deviations from "proper" frequency for a string or two under each key can you make the istrument to sound lively, and how big those deviations are always depends on how every particular istrument is made - matherials, shapes, age, and even on how dry its wood is, at the time. So it can't be automated.

5/10 for new Cynic.

(speaking about pianos made me remember this one "staple" piece - but then the way Wilhelm plays it is anything but staple)

2. R.Graves

R.Graves Confirmed Retard

Apr 21, 2016
    Impressive on a technical level but my ears say meh.

3. Fins

Dec 31, 2017
    So your ears say "meh" to one of most beautiful pieces composed by one of greatest composers in all history, played by one of best piano players of 20th century, watched over 12 million times and having 62k likes vs 1k dislikes. Ok, noted. Your ears are quite special, my friend - but OK, everyone has one's own taste indeed.

6/10 for the Daydream in blue. Not bad, but then nothing special to me, also.

4. Hassknecht

Hassknecht For hate's sake Admin Orderite

Aug 16, 2010
    6/10. Never really got into the whole big band stuff.

5. Fins

Dec 31, 2017
    3/10. For music part, that is. Close your eyes, and it gets extremely borin' one (to me). 8/10 for show, 9/10 for costumes, etc.

(getting a bit tribal, are we :) )

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  6. TorontRayne

TorontRayne This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Moderator Orderite

Apr 1, 2005
    0/10 Not my thing.

7. Fins

Dec 31, 2017
    4/10.

P.S. By the way, do we attempt to rate pieces objectively here, based on how well they are composed, arranged, performed and presented, or do we do it purely via "whether it's to my liking"? So far i do the former. But if it's the latter, then 2/10 for Megadeth from me.

8. Hassknecht

Aug 16, 2010
    More in terms of taste, but that's for everyone to decide for themselves.
    Randy Newman, never heard of him. Kinda sounds like Tom Lehrer but kinda less sharp?
    6/10, I guess.

9. Atomkilla

Atomkilla Hazel Hegemon oTO Orderite

Dec 26, 2010
    That's a song by Gorguts that I haven't heard yet. Good one.

10. Gizmojunk

Gizmojunk Vault Fossil

Nov 26, 2007
    Great album... not a specific song though. They all seemed very good; I suppose an 8/10.

This one was licensed to play as the ending credits song for the original Homeworld RTS, from Relic Entertainment.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    • [Like] [Like] x 1
  11. TheAdversary

TheAdversary Curious Incubus

Jun 25, 2017
    Ahh, memories. I gotta get back into Homeworld. nostalgia/10

12. Fins

Dec 31, 2017
    Rating "ALASKA": This-video-is-not-available/10. Oops. ;)

P.S.
    Wow. For real??? =) Hass, i bet you are highly competent in many affairs, but in music, you're a rookie yet. Randy is a legend. Where you've been last quarter century - in a cave or something? He's among most decorated and reverred modern composers - here's his awards list. I bet you've heard lots of his music, you just are not aware it's his works.

13. Hassknecht

Aug 16, 2010
    Yeah, probably heard him, I know some of those movies at least. But I'm not really into that type of music, so I don't particularly care and don't know the names of any of those composers.
    5/10 for the song above. Never really got into that stuff.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  14. Gizmojunk

Gizmojunk Vault Fossil

Nov 26, 2007
    Loud as hell/10

Super Freak—— Bruce Hornsby and Ricky Skaggs cover.

15. Fins

Dec 31, 2017
    8/10. That's very good! And i always love good banjo performance, too.

Say, this reminds me about two guys who happened to visit America some time ago. Here's a million-dollar question: what's relation of this piece to Rachmaninov, and why certain woman in this video covers her face in shame? ;)

16. Carib FMJ

Carib FMJ Nuka-Cola Chaser

Nov 8, 2003
  17. Walpknut

Walpknut Testament to the ghoul lifespan

Dec 30, 2010
  18. Fins

Dec 31, 2017
    2/10.

For the occasion of getting his 7th Grammy award, here's Randy Newman's "Putin" song (which won said award) in live version i much prefer to the official version of the song. Way to go, Randy. Way to go.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  19. YeeCop

YeeCop Just a Sweet Irradiated Transvestite

Jan 26, 2017
  20. Fins

Dec 31, 2017
    7/10. Not bad.