S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Shadow of Chernobyl

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Starwars, Mar 19, 2007.

1. GreyViper

GreyViper Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Jul 2, 2004

2. radnan

radnan A Smooth-Skin

Dec 1, 2006
  3. Starwars

Starwars Mildly Dipped

Sep 17, 2006
    Seems like the patch will be out soon, I read that it was supposed to be out Friday 6th, but was delayed until Monday (tomorrow). It also looks like they're working on a third patch as well like Greyviper said.
    Second patch seems to deal with a lot of multiplayer stuff which I don't care for personally. The best thing they've announced is that they're tweaking NPC respawns so that they won't occur as often. Also, if I'm reading the kinda broken English right, they will tweak it so that NPCs won't spawn right on top of you (which is a rather nasty surprise).

Here's the list for the third patch:

MOD tools support... I wonder if that means the SDK will get released at the same time?

And speaking of mods, that is a rather interesting idea on the official forums about a "Lore mod". The goal of this will be to add journals, diaries, PDAs, old newspaper stories etc to the world. It's a great idea and something I missed from the original game. Hopefully they're serious about the writing. It would be awesome if done right.

4. Crowley

Crowley It Wandered In From the Wastes

Dec 12, 2003
    Sounds good. Worked well enough in System Shocks and Alien vs. Predator 2 to completely replace direct two-way NPC interaction.

5. Wooz

Wooz Vault Sweeper Admin Orderite

May 18, 2003
    Third patch? A second one is already out?

6. Tannhauser

Tannhauser Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Orderite

Mar 18, 2004
    No, but they are all ready planning for/working on the third patch.

Like Starwars mentioned, one of the community moderators relayed that the second patch was supposed to be released this last weekend. Something is holding it up, my guess would be something to do with the allegations of stolen textures. Or perhaps not, and it simply hit trouble in testing.

7. Muff

Muff Water Chip? Been There, Done That

May 5, 2006
    Well I just got stalker and I had a bit of a odd experience, There it was sitting there on the shelf of Morrisons i was thinking over what to buy and stalker won (I needed my fix of Radation ;) ) and when I touched it there was a sticky translucent material covering the box. So I thought this game has to be good if the zone is affecting the box it comes in, when I mentioned this to the dude who works at the games counter I turned out it was shampoo, He remarked this is one hell of a introduction to stalker.

8. Starwars

Starwars Mildly Dipped

Sep 17, 2006
    Just a small tidbit here. The guy who originally did the whole 'tweaked user.ltx file deal' released some shaders recently. These shaders does change the look of the game slightly (not sure whether I like them more or less than the stock ones), and I got a vast performance increase when using them

http://inanio.net/nivenhbro_shaders/Float32_4247_036a_RELEASE.zip

If you have an ATI card, then you need to delete the file called "shadow.h" in the zip file (ATI cards have to use the stock one). Read the readme for installation.

There is a user.ltx file included, but if you have the previously posted one, you don't need to replace it with this one as far as I know.

And of course, back up the original files if you don't like the changes.

9. DirtyDreamDesigner

DirtyDreamDesigner Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Apr 15, 2005
    Almost makes it playable with object dynamic lighting.

10. Tannhauser

Orderite

Mar 18, 2004
    I'll have to try it out, hopefully I'll have a little more success than DDD, lighting is worth sacrificing the other graphic options for.

The comments on Blue's News though (and I'm sure its worse elsewhere), at least there are some people who a bit of sense.
    I'm also annoyed how the meaning of 'RPG' has been perverted. In this case it seems to be a reference to MMORPGs or Fable-like 'depth.'
    At least I found some comparison screenshots.

11. Wooz

Wooz Vault Sweeper Admin Orderite

May 18, 2003
    Still no news about the new patch?

12. Tannhauser

Orderite

Mar 18, 2004
    Nope, though apparently the complaints from Russian gamers is reaching epic proportions.

Last I heard was that it was entering it's second round of QA testing, and that was last week.

13. slamelov

slamelov Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Jul 29, 2006
    What's the problem for Russian players?

14. John Uskglass

John Uskglass Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Aug 29, 2003
    Is this worth buying?

15. Sander

Sander This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Jul 5, 2003
    If you want a semi-free-roam shooter with quests and choices (with a few consequences) and a very excellent post-apocalyptic atmosphere: yes. Otherwise: no.

16. Tannhauser

Orderite

Mar 18, 2004
    The same for everyone else, there still hasn't been another patch. I believe the Russian S.T.A.L.K.E.R. community is simply more active.

17. slamelov

slamelov Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Jul 29, 2006
    May be they are developing a big patch and need time to do it. Stalker developers are well known for that :D

18. DirtyDreamDesigner

DirtyDreamDesigner Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Apr 15, 2005
    The 1.0003 patch is out but it doesn't seem to do much more than fix the occasional bug. Disappointing. Fan made tweaks have increased performance and added things that were missing and the official patch does jack shit.

19. Tannhauser

Orderite

Mar 18, 2004
    Exactly what the Russians have been complaining about, their version has been out for a while.

20. Von Drunky

Von Drunky Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Mar 10, 2007
    STALKER: first time around.

I finally finished up STALKER today at about 4am with mix feelings. The environment is amazing and it makes you want to explore more into the zone, but I found some of the gameplay to be rather odd. After a few hours into the game I realized that its pretty much pointless to do the side quest since you don’t get Xp out of it and if you do get an item the money spent on ammo and med kits rarely canceled out. Also I found it disappoint that I got the gauss rife about 10 min before I finished the game (I got the false blind ending). Since some of the NMA communities are fans of the game I was hopping you can tell me something I could do when I replay the game to make it more interesting. Can you join a group like Duty or freedom? The most I got was friend status from freedom when I played and what would happen if I go around killing other Stalkers I find in the wilderness? Also what elements determine how you finish up the game?