Sands of Space RPG

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by dmonin, May 17, 2018.

1. dmonin

dmonin Indie developer

May 2, 2018
    Hi guys!

Some part of the icons have done! Stealth, repair, science etc. Also I reworked some textures and finished scifi tank model. And a lot of new models are not on the picture ;)

• [Like] [Like] x 3
  2. Risewild

Risewild Half-way Through My Half-life
    Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    I like everything you have been posting.

I have the feeling I will like this game once it's released. I think you have a customer in me already.

• [Like] [Like] x 3
  3. dmonin

dmonin Indie developer

May 2, 2018
    Hi!

I'm glad that you are interesting in my game. Thanks for all feedbacks - very appreciated. Hope release won't be disappointing. :)

4. Black Angel

Black Angel Grand Inquisitor of the Ordo Hereticus

Mar 21, 2016
    My man @dmonin I heard from someone that the very reason why you decided to make this game is because you've concluded that modding Underrail is too much a pain in the arse? If that's the case, can I assume you're developing this game under heavy influence from Underrail? And am I wrong to assume the game will be more combat-centric like Underrail?

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  5. dmonin

dmonin Indie developer

May 2, 2018
    Yes, five years ago I asked Styg about some modding tools or SDK for Underrail. And yes, I really wanted to make some mod on Underrail.

And sure, Fallout 1/2 and Underrail inspired me. But I don't want to just copy them. I can't say that it will be more combat-centric game like Underrail. But combat gonna be no least part of the game. I'll try to create something my own based on scifi movies like The Thing, Screamers and Total Recall etc.

Thanks!

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  6. Norzan

Norzan Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Apr 7, 2017
    I said this and forgot to click on Watch Thread. Well, fixed now and the game is looking pretty promising.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  7. Supreme Shah Ismail

Supreme Shah Ismail Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Sep 17, 2016
    We dont have enough scifi crpgs so this looks great. Actually nice to see some gameplay and in game screenshots not empty promises.

Keep us posted as everyone has been saying.

Any word on what stage of development you are at or when you expect to finish?

Also how are you funding this if I may ask?

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  8. dmonin

dmonin Indie developer

May 2, 2018
    Hi guys!

Thanks guys! Do my best!

Hard to say. Right now I'm working only on environment. I'm not a 3d artist so thats why it could take more time than I am expecting cause everything I do I do by my own. As for me I'm already late for 2-3 months. But most of game mechanics, I mean background code, almost done.

Also I still have issues with animation and organic cause it's hard to model and animate. But I will manage them.

By myself. As I said upper most of the things I do by myself. I spent only my free time. Only some arts and icons were paid.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    • [Like] [Like] x 3
    • [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  9. Mr Fish

Mr Fish ...I Remember...

Sep 11, 2010
    If the project advanced to a more comfortable stage for you to feel secure enough in its development are you going to expand it into a team and perhaps get crowdfunding for it?

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  10. dmonin

dmonin Indie developer

May 2, 2018
    Hi! Hard to say. It will be nice to have a team. But actually I'm fine to work alone too. What about crowdfunding - will see. But only after playable teaser.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  11. Cobra Commander

Cobra Commander Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Dec 6, 2016
    I just saw this now. I liked everything, I'll buy it when it's ready :)

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  12. dmonin

dmonin Indie developer

May 2, 2018
    Thanks for supporting guys!

Good news. Common icons are finished like a stealth, burst, science etc. Also some psi abilities got icons too. But locations still in progress :D

Thanks!

• [Rad] [Rad] x 4
  13. dmonin

dmonin Indie developer

May 2, 2018
    Hi guys!

In a game full of the text the main bottleneck is a font. The font should be readable and not complicate the player's life. But choosing a font is very difficult process, as is its color. Plus, here goes the screen resolution and everything is getting worse.

I was planning to order a font. Make it like the old pixel (no, there is no thing like this I guess, but they are very similar to pixels) IBM PC fonts. But, unfortunately, the designer couldn't get the job cause he is very busy. So, I decided to look for a free font that would pass under three main requirements:

1. Absolutely free, up to commercial use.
    2. Cyrillic support and at least a couple of languages - French and German (maybe someone will translate it if I find money for this)
    3. And my favorite test a set of symbols - "Illegal1 = O0" (zero, letter O, numeral one, and English l and cursive letter l (L)

And I found it. This is the Iosevka font. It's totally free and almost passes the point #3

I will not stop looking for the font of my dreams, but so far, the choice has been made. I hope you like the font. And even if not, it will cause less irritation than Comic Sans.

One more thing. The font size on the screenshots is the minimum that can be set in the game, further - you can only make it larger. The font size changing option will be for sure.

And I'm still in progress of creating models for the environment.

Thanks!

• [Rad] [Rad] x 2
  14. iridium_ionizer

iridium_ionizer Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Jul 24, 2007
    It looks great. Seems like you almost have enough environmental debris now too!

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  15. Risewild

Risewild Half-way Through My Half-life
    Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    The font seems pretty good. I agree with iridium_ionizer it looks great.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  16. Squadcar

Squadcar Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Jun 1, 2018
    I think it looks pretty great so far. There could be a little bit of tweaking with the font or the color of font and background but overall this is good in my opinion. Maybe something a slight bit bolder but not too much? Just to make it slightly easier on the eyes? I don't know.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1