The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Brother None, Dec 12, 2010.

1. maximaz

maximaz Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Apr 2, 2006
    Hmmm well that is odd. I guess that's why they say Chinese is one of the most difficult languages. I wonder how they say "I ate at 4pm" instead of "I eat at 4pm" or "I'm eating at 4pm" for that matter.

2. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008
    ^ For most simple cases of saying things in the past there's a special article. Nothing like that for future, you just have to specify specifically when you're doing it, or that you're planning to do it.

3. Mr Krepe

Mr Krepe Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Mar 28, 2010
    I hope the new engine isn't too gamebryo-ish in 2006 it was good, but now that engine has been used/abused for so long, after 5 years i'm scared it might of contracted a STD.

4. LinkPain

LinkPain Mildly Dipped

Jan 18, 2011
    I liked Morrowind . People told me it's too hard .
    Then it went into Oblivion .

Anyway this has some good graphics ...

I have a question , why does Bethesda logo look like Vault door now ?

5. Atomkilla

Atomkilla Hazel Hegemon oTO Orderite

Dec 26, 2010
    I wonder that myself.
    Never really followed Bethesda or played any of their games before FO3, but I doubt it had been like it before...right?

6. aenemic

aenemic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Jun 4, 2008
    actually, one of the few things I like with Oblivion is that it offers much more of a challenge than Morrowind. Morrowind is too easy to abuse and building a strong character almost happens automatically. in Oblivion you can still powergame, but a "normal" character will have a much harder time than in Oblivion. this way, the enemy levelling is a bit of a two-sided coin.

7. UncannyGarlic

UncannyGarlic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 6, 2008
    The level scaling in Oblivion tends to either result in the game being a joke or the game being way too hard, depending whether you play the game right (mostly fight thus level up your combat skills fastest) or whether you do it wrong (level up other stuff like speech, run, jump, ect.).

8. TheRatKing

TheRatKing Vault Dweller

Oct 7, 2008
    or you can play the game REALLY wrong, by tagging the useless skills and only using the useful skills. Therefore you never level but still become a fighting machine.

9. Korin

Korin Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
    Admin

Aug 6, 2010
    Oblivion is probably the only game I've played where you're actually strongest at level 1 and get progressively weaker as the game goes on.

The level up system is also mildly retarded. If you wanted a perfect/strong character you had to pick 7 major skills (with different attributes) that you never used. Otherwise, you'd level up too fast and not have control over your attribute gains.

Besides the attribute/skill gains and level scaling the other problem was you could make an invincible 100% magic absorb/100% damage reflect character with select gear choices. You could play on maximum difficulty but there wasn't any point since you were unkillable but your opponents had mountains of health. In the end, I always turned it down to easy.

Mind you I still love Oblivion.

10. sampson70

sampson70 Still Mildly Glowing

Dec 1, 2009
    Dude...Gamebryo is dead! I do hope the Creation engine's modding & open world is as impressive though.

11. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    actually what I hope for is that they this time take their time to understand and use the engine correctly ... the issue was not that gameybro is geting old but that Bethesda never managed to use correctly. Bugs, glitches ... etc. etc.

And sorry I dont buy that "limits of the engine" talking crap. If you draw as artist some picture and it doesnt look good do you go with "the pencil handicaped me" ? Its the artist who makes the tools not the the tools the artist. And either Bethesda didnt payed attention to the issues they might have with the engine or they have been in a hurry. No clue.

12. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    Actually, we don't know if Creation really is an all-new engine. My guess is that they realised there was a lot of stigma surrounding Gamebryo, so when they updated the old Gamebryo technology, they renamed the thing for PR purposes. It seems far more likely than writing an entirely new engine from scratch, anyway.

13. LinkPain

LinkPain Mildly Dipped

Jan 18, 2011
    Is this game even simpler than Oblivion was ?

14. sampson70

sampson70 Still Mildly Glowing

Dec 1, 2009
    Actually, we don't know if Creation really is an all-new engine. My guess is that they realised there was a lot of stigma surrounding Gamebryo, so when they updated the old Gamebryo technology, they renamed the thing for PR purposes. It seems far more likely than writing an entirely new engine from scratch, anyway.[/quote]Well you know it really doesn't matter,cause by the screenshots there is no resemblance to Gamebryo...at all.The animation should be a lot better,being that there using Havok (Assassin creed 2)too.

15. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    You realise that Havok was used in Oblivion for all the physics, right? It's not the middleware, it's the implementation that matters.

16. TheWesDude

TheWesDude Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 25, 2005
    uhhh... no.

try early 80s in Ultima... thats where they got this idea from

17. Korin

Korin Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
    Admin

Aug 6, 2010
    That would be hilarious. The mental image of people shouting at their TVs to activate abilities is quite satisfying.

18. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    I think you might be giving Bethesda too much credit there.

19. TheWesDude

TheWesDude Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 25, 2005
    well, you cannot deny that ultima did the whole "words of magic" thing WAY before beth is.

and of course it will be heralded as "next gen" when in reality they are like 30 years late to the game.

which is typical for beth. take something that is 20+ years old, make it shiny, and call it next gen.

20. rcorporon

rcorporon So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
    Orderite

Jan 31, 2008