The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Brother None, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008
    Guaranteed to be annoying as hell.

Prepare for weird glitches - I'm yet to see any game implement stealth properly, apart from maybe Thief series.

Everything else sounds like they're making a fantasy-themed FPS. Maybe people will finally stop calling it an RPG.

2. Verevoof

Verevoof Cryptid oTO Moderator Orderite

Jul 12, 2009
    "Flourish attacks appear for skillful kills, giving you a nice visual treat as you execute an enemy."

So... zoomed in slow-motion? I hate that stuff.

Well, at least they are trying to address the issue of how boring combat is in their games. But hackin' and slashin' away while running backwards until the enemy is dead is like Bethesda's signature.

3. The Dopamine Cleric

The Dopamine Cleric Lived Through the Heat Death
    Orderite

Nov 3, 2007
    What's funny is it is pretty realistic, in a sense.

The whole hacking and slashing while running backwards thing.

Unless you like getting stabbed in the face the first second.

Who am I kidding? There will never be a game with truely realistic combat. The closest thing possible is a game of Soul Caliber with Health turned all the way down to 10%.

4. TheRatKing

TheRatKing Vault Dweller

Oct 7, 2008
    Sigh, I hope it isn't like this. Shouldn't flourish attacks be fast and awesome? It's like slow mo when using Fast Shot.

5. maximaz

maximaz Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Apr 2, 2006
    Sounds like you're very sure of that. How do you know where Beth got this idea from?

I don't have an issue with it not being realistic, actually. That could be boring if you think about it. Just make it fun and not get boring too fast.

6. TheRatKing

TheRatKing Vault Dweller

Oct 7, 2008
    I can't help but remember Jedi Knight II, where I would save before every jedi battle just so I could play it again and again.

7. generalissimofurioso

generalissimofurioso The Hole Time Orderite

Jun 17, 2007
    Someone never played Bushido Blade.

8. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    I agree Jedi Knight had some really nice sword fighting particularly for such an old game.

9. Dreadwolf

Dreadwolf First time out of the vault

Oct 24, 2007
    Wow, thanks. was thinking of this game reading the discussion but couldn't remember the name. Loved that game, they should do a new one.

10. thegaresexperience

thegaresexperience Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Sep 3, 2010
    Bushido Blade II was the shit. Hours of my childhood spent playing that over and over

11. aenemic

aenemic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Jun 4, 2008
    another article on the combat

basically the same info, but a few points that the other one didn't mention:

- you can dual-wield weapons.

- there is a button for sprinting.

- while using a bow, you can knock down people in melee to get a shot off.

- two shout abilities mentioned: slow time and call a dragon to aid you.

I have to say, not a single one of these changes sounds bad to me.

12. thegaresexperience

thegaresexperience Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Sep 3, 2010
    ^ That actually sounds pretty cool.

13. AskWazzup

AskWazzup Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Aug 21, 2008
    Oh boy, the slow time and dragon call sounds like some gimmicky shit. Of course one should see how it looks before making any conclusions, but it sure sounds shitty to me.

14. Stanislao Moulinsky

Stanislao Moulinsky Vault Fossil

Jul 16, 2009
    Uh? Doesn't FO3 has the same system? Or there is an extra phase between "hidden" and "caution"?

15. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    Though beeing the cuatious person I am (and knowing Bethesda ...) I dont expect here really all to much. But it is at least the first sign that the Dragons might not be your simple kill-them-all fantasy enemies we all know and looove from our RPGs ...

Letz hope Bethesda is at least trying this time to really give their games a story.

16. Hassknecht

Hassknecht For hate's sake. Admin Orderite

Aug 16, 2010
    It sounds like they bring some of the old stuff from Morrowind and Daggerfall back. Equipping the hands differently, having to raise your hands to cast magic...
    They are certainly bragging about a lot of stuff that they already did before.
    "Why shoot fireballs at a wizard when you can simultaneously drain his heath and magicka with a shock spell?"
    Well, yeah, in Morrowind you could create your own spell to do that.
    Did they completely forget about Morrowind or do they just try to sell it as new?

17. TheWesDude

TheWesDude Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 25, 2005
    ultima 3 was the first one that i know of that used "named spells" and then in ultima 4 was the first incarnation of the real "words of power" that lasted all the way through ultima 9.

ultima 3 was in like 83 or 84, and ultima 4 was in like 86 or so

18. LinkPain

LinkPain Mildly Dipped

Jan 18, 2011
    Bleed on axes ? What , no daggers for that or critical strikes ?
    And i really don't think maces should just "negate armor" which is armor penetration which is stupid on mace instead on a dagger , rather plainly destroy it .
    Why carry anything else then when 50% of harder enemies , and i saw dragon there , will have natural armor . Ill put my mace in his ass negating butt armor ? Or will i just crush his scaly thick head ?

It's a game of words i know , but i love rogues much more now that i have read :
    "Ultimately, the aim of the combat is to make each fight feel like a life-or-death situation rather than a brainless hack festival."
    Why in the nine hells would i care how and when i click in combat with a pig psycho viking lookalike carrying 200 lbs two handed axe ?!

And Bioshock steal is just lame .....

19. maximaz

maximaz Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Apr 2, 2006
    Sure, I'm sure there is some book somewhere that has dragon words and some great mountain too. It's just that you said "no, Ultima gave them the idea". Did they say what gave them the idea?

20. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008
    ^ If you asked them, they'd probably say it was their infinite awesomeness and unparalleled creativity. Then they'd sue whoever owns Ultima trying to prove Bethesda did it first.