The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Brother None, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Bad_Karma

Bad_Karma Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Jun 17, 2007
    i wonder how much will change if you choose to dual-wield.
    In the whole 'point-n-click' roleplaying games which are not all about graphic it's quite easy to implement because it's just an alteration in stats. But in a roleplaying shooter it's more problematic becasue you need to caputre a certain feeling, through animations, sounds, interaction with your input and so on.
    Sure you need to capture such feel for every weapon, but if you're able to mix and match, it should be even more problematic to capture such an feeling...

2. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    who said it isnt possible that the Ultima people traveld back in time using Bethesdas idea to create it for the Ultima series!

Its a possibility afteral ...

3. Requete

Requete First time out of the vault

Aug 9, 2006
    After huge disapointment of Oblivion and medicore F03, I'm not looking for new Beth product, TES died for me after Morrowind. RIP Sweet Tamariel. :roll:

4. .Pixote.

.Pixote. Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Modder

Sep 14, 2009
    With all of the super cool mods for Morrowind, I might just re-install it and have another go. It seems Bethesda specialty is to make a half baked cake and then let the fan-base finish it off properly, I don't expect anything will be different with their next game.

PS - Can anyone suggest any tasty mods for Morrowind... :wink:

5. Bad_Karma

Bad_Karma Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Jun 17, 2007
    Hmm Game Informer got some informations about the user interface (read menus) and a few more tidbits of Skyrim ( here ).
    I can't really imagine how it looks from their descriptions. And the single picture they have looks like a let-down for me. I mean sure for gamepads that might be a good option, but for computers it's not what i would want to have.
    Just to ask you guys (never used itunes) so is it a good or bad thing to look at this for inspiration of game-menus?

Which really makes me wonder as to why people with a computer are going to buy some XBOX version of it if they could run the PC version on their computer.
    But well...

6. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008
    Personally, I hate apple. They do to media products what Bethesda does to RPGs. So I guess there is some sort of connection.

But seriously, I never saw the appeal of the Apple-style flip-through menus. As the Onion once precisely put it, "everything is just a few hundred clicks away". Thank you, but no thank you. For my music, I prefer basic folder "details" view mode. For menus in games, I like to see lists for spells (or trees for abilities where applicable) and icons for menus. So yes, this is basically more console-style menu bullshit. Though again, it's nothing new and they're making a huge deal out of nothing.

On a different note, the levelup system sounds really, really boring. I think I will continue to ignore TES games.

7. TheRatKing

TheRatKing Vault Dweller

Oct 7, 2008
    Hmmm, reminds me of Fallout :)

8. UncannyGarlic

UncannyGarlic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 6, 2008
    It's nothing new and may end up being better for console but it's going to be way shittier for PC than Oblivion was. That is if his explanation and the example picture are telling.

Here's the Apple link you were talking about.

Really? You have time to talk about your game and the thing you think will generate hype is the fucking stars?

9. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008
    Looks pretty telling to me. And no argument that it'd work OK on consoles - but I'm looking at it as a PC user.

It seems like at this point they're trying to hype just about everything. All the news updates I've seen thus far seem to pick some simple everyday game mechanic or feature and make it look like something completely extraordinary.

As for the stars specifically, I'm more or less sure that he's just phrasing it in an overly pretentious way. What's more likely to happen (if the feature makes it to the game at all - trying to make an animated, manipulable 3d icon for every skill and item is a huge piece of work) is the "sky" being just another skill list or whatnot, which will look different depending on class (duh). The featured screenshot is the sky, is it not?

10. aenemic

aenemic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Jun 4, 2008
    that interface looks really annoying. seems to me like we'll have to click our way through the skill list, one click per skill. how is that intuitive? there better be some sort of scroll option. where did the classic one screen for all stats go?

I'm fond of the idea of perks. anything that allows me to make a more personal build is good. but I fear that we will, yet again, be able to max out everything with a little know-how and patience.

11. Kyuu

Kyuu Insert Awesome Title Here

Jul 19, 2007
    I personally like Apple's products, but Bethesda, as usual, misses the mark when trying to copy from someone else.

What makes iTunes efficient is the ability to instantly filter your library by typing something (whether it's file type, name of the song/artist/album, genre, whatever) into the search bar. Other than that, iTunes' interface is no better than any other music player's. And I never, ever use "cover flow" on my iPod. It's much faster and easier to simply search by either song or artist and use the quick scroll to find what I'm looking for.

Sounds like pretty much the same old crap from Bethesda.

12. maximaz

maximaz Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Apr 2, 2006
  13. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    That menu looks fucking disastrous. Let's knock this one out of the park, shall we?

1) Prioritising looks over functionality is never, ever good. Yeah, those pictures are cool and all, but 75% or more of the screen space is wasted on it. You can make menus look good without hurting functionality.

2) Not really cross-platform friendly. If you are making a game for different systems with very different input devices, you should either design the interface with both in mind, or make a different interface for each.

3) Inefficient. Potentially the player will need to scroll huge amounts just to see what they opened the menu for. This problem might even be more severe for people who don't have fancy widescreen monitors and TVs, since they'll have even less horizontal space.

4) Not at all fitting with the game's tone and style. Now, to be fair, the fonts and all that do look nice, but they don't exactly scream "fantasy" to me. I'm pretty open minded when it comes to art design for games, but this menu just takes me out of the mood.

5) Gimmicky for the sake of being gimmicky. This interface isn't in the game because it's more functional, or better looking, or easier to navigate, or easier to read, or anything at all. It's there because, rather than taking a long and hard look at how to design a game interface, they decided to go with something that was different without any compelling reason as to why. Here's a hint: menus in games? They're the way they are for a reason - because it works really well. Even a cursory glance shows this is totally unsuited to an RPG, even a simple one like The Elder Scrolls, where the player has to have fast and organised access to lots of information.

Awesome work on the sky there, though. Those constellations are nice-looking, I'll give them that. However... while the night sky evolving is a cool feature, I highly doubt many players, if any, will notice it, and even if they do, I think the time spent on that feature of the game could be much more productively spent elsewhere - like on QA and troubleshooting, AI, environment design, game balance, leveling progression, combat mechanics... basically anything more central to the game than subtle aesthetics.

In other words, this is usual Bethesda incompetence, ambition without rationality or control to temper it into something. Like an idiot savant, Bethesda are full of awesome ideas with no idea how to actually turn them into anything worthwhile, and the result is a half-baked mess that sells in spite of its brokenness. I know that there are smart, talented, passionate people working at Bethesda. I implore that they rise up against the fucking morons who are in charge of designing their games and gnaw the meat off their bones, and build a totem in remembrance of the dark time they had to suffer.

Foobar2000 does the same thing with about 15% of the memory footprint, five times as many features, support for greater numbers of file types and a huge library of free plugins. It's also not a bloated, junky mess. Rockbox your player, get Foobar for desktop use and leave iTunes in the dirt.

14. Kyuu

Kyuu Insert Awesome Title Here

Jul 19, 2007
    I specifically mentioned that I know that iTunes is nothing special, and didn't mean to imply that there werent other players that could do the search thing. I was only meaning to point out the ridiculousness of Bethesda appealing to "cover flow" or any other aspect of iTunes for an approach to an RPG interface. Although if there was a search box where you could type in a term and find any features / item you wanted that way that would be incredibly efficient (for the PC version of course).

As far as my use of iTunes, I've had more than one attempt to point me elsewhere. However, I've yet to find anything as clean, elegant, and easy-to-use, and I've never had any issues with iTunes memory usage, even when I run it in the background while playing Civ 5.

I grew up using apple products though (first computer was a IIci), so I may simply be biased.

Totally agree with you on everything about ES5's interface though.

15. radnan

radnan A Smooth-Skin

Dec 1, 2006
  16. Mutoes

Mutoes Mildly Dipped

Feb 5, 2008
    I like how those screenshots look like, it doesnt seem to have that overwhelming glow that oblivion had. Other than that i cant really comment on anything else. Ive never played any TES more than couple of hours of Oblivion. Maybe i should try some morrowind with that graphics mod. Looks pretty good.

17. PlanHex

PlanHex Useless layabout oTO Moderator Orderite

Nov 4, 2007
    I like the concept art at OXM, but none of it looks very 'nordic' to me. This is supposed to be the ES version of viking funland right?
    I know shit about architecture and even less about ancient architecture, but those old ruins and stuff look more alien or mayan than nordic to me.

On a more important note: HOLY SHIT SHADOWS WTF

18. LinkPain

LinkPain Mildly Dipped

Jan 18, 2011
    Witcher 2 graphics look a lot better , even have better atmosphere .

GOOD GOD that STATISTIC BAR ! WTF ?!
    My eyes will hurt ...

I do hope that they return to the roots of Morrowind kind game content . But that's too much to ask i guess , add more epileptic graphics !

19. Hassknecht

Hassknecht For hate's sake. Admin Orderite

Aug 16, 2010
    That face looks much better than Oblivion or Fallout 3, but I hope the final hair will look better, and that the PC version will have some better textures, at least on the models.

20. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    1) Actual shadows! Decent lighting! About time, frankly. That's the number one problem with their Gamebryo engine from a visual perspective, everything has this weird, plastic look, as if it's being lit by some omnipresent spectre. Still not perfect (seems like no real sun shadow or global illumination), but definitely passable.

2) Looks like they've either ditched FaceGen or massively improved it, as both the lusty wench (Bethesda sure know their audience) and the background characters look far more human. Character models are also proportioned much, much better, but I really hope that there will be more variation in body types as well.

3) Water and other shader effects seem to be running at a much higher resolution and don't have that pixelated look to them anymore. Definitely a big improvement from the "oil slick" style water in Oblivion, and a bit of a step up from Fallout 3's water as well.

4) Terrain seems much more varied and composed in a fairly artistic manner. Rather than the same old randomly generated heighmaps with textures painted on top, we have real mountains, valleys, crags and so forth, no doubt built at least partially by hand. Bethesda are really learning that more doesn't always mean better when it comes to world design. I imagine a lot of the stuff is still procedurally generated, but encouraging nevertheless.

5) The menus... sigh. Well, there's always DarN, right?