The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Brother None, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Surf Solar

Surf Solar So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Aug 20, 2009
    The terrain and textures still look like a 2001 game. The rest improved a bit, though it still looks like Oblivion for me.

2. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    I have my doubts about that though. It is sad how many games today go for better visuals but ignore the texture quality almost completely. With some games you could still think they are from the 90s or 2001 when you take a closer look. No surprise there are so many high-texture-quality mods for some games out there.

Though when it comes to the look of charcaters I really hope they reworked the Beast-Races too. They looked pretty ugly in Oblivion. It just doesnt work to give a animal-like race human bones and traits. They really should take their time to work on a set of bones and animations for the Kajhit and Argonians. At least give them their animal legs.

3. Batcha

Batcha First time out of the vault

Jan 15, 2010
    Faces do seem better, but we'll have to wait and see all of them..

As for the lighting, looking at the first screenshot, imo it doesnt look great. Objects like stools and pots do cash shadows, but dont you think the overall lighting of the room looks so unrealistic?

I mean, i assume its night time considering that the candles are lit..
    Every part of the room is so bright and visible, like there are light sources coming from everywhere, even the floor.

Imagine the interior of a medieval cottage in the middle of the night with just a few candles.. it would be so much darker, and with a larger difference in visibilty whether you are near the candle or not.
    This is not just an issue of Bethesda games..

I have yet to see a game where night really feels realistic. Tho Stalker did a pretty decent job in that area.

4. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008
    arma2 had pretty much the most realistic use of light Ive seen in any game so far. But thereit really matters since it is trying to go for "realism" in combat as well. Playing without night vision in that game is really difficult because you cant almost see anything at night. THe sun can dazzle you and a forrest in Arma2 feels very realistic cause of it (the change from dark to bright).

5. Export

Export First time out of the vault

Feb 10, 2011
    To be honest, the nicest thing about that trailer is how the writing rotates so it's side-on and becomes 11-11-11, the launch date.

Other than the ugly faces and scarecrow bodies, they need to sort out the Gamebryo animations. The people moved unnaturally and unconvincingly. There was also a problem of people rushing to get to their designated point to start dialogue, like children rushing onto stage during a school play. In fact, pretty much all the set-pieces didn't really work or convince.

In F3, me and my friend, on 360 and PC respectively, both encountered a woman who ran over to us manically from the distance and initiated dialogue with us. One of the dialogue choices was "What were you doing to that man's body?" Neither of us had seen this happen; she'd ran at us from several hundred metres away - my own dialogue option was the first I'd known of her doing something to some man.

6. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    The reason for this is the memory limitations of consoles, which caps out at 512 MB or so (but obviously not that much can be allocated entirely to textures). Texture streaming systems that are used by Unreal Engine 3, the Call of Duty engine, etc. are designed to get around this by dynamically loading textures in and out of memory as needed; this results in more detail and variety, but the downside is that you get pop-in and sometimes blurry textures, especially on distant objects (see GTA IV on PC with view distance set to low, or Assassin's Creed 2 for a good example).

In videogames, especially those designed to be played on a very wide variety of displays (old CRT boxes, high-definition LCDs, rear projection TVs, projectors, PC monitors), visibility and playability take priority over realism. For certain games, it's fine to pay lots of attention to lighting, especially horror games. For The Elder Scrolls? Aside from establishing mood, as a game targeted towards mass audiences, light is there for one reason: to see stuff.

7. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008
    and in the case of Oblivion to burn your eyes. Oh my good not the BLOOOM! AH ITS IN MY EYES...