The Guns and Ammo Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum' started by Kalessin, May 4, 2006.

1. SuAside

SuAside Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Admin

May 27, 2004
    PRO with the rubber cover would be very hard to distinguish from a CompM3. But a CompM4 would stick out like a sore thumb. ;)

2. Nuka-Knight

Nuka-Knight First time out of the vault

Apr 28, 2017
    Headed to a gun show at my local fairgrounds this weekend, anyone have a recommendation for what to look for? I've been interested in finding a good .357 or .44 (Python or Anaconda are the first things coming to mind) for my 21st.

3. SuAside

Admin

May 27, 2004
    Snoop around for a used Manurhin MR-73. Maybe you get lucky.
    For .44Mag obviously the S&W Model 29. Classic.

4. JohnnyEgo

JohnnyEgo Mostly Harmless

Oct 22, 2007
    If he sees a Manurhin MR-73 stateside, at a gun show, in working condition, for a reasonable price, he probably should have bought a lottery ticket instead.
    Colt revolvers are commanding a premium right now. I've seen Pythons run from $1,800 - $3,000, and Anacondas running up to $4,000 in the California market. It's not impossible or even all that unlikely to find one at a decent sized gun show, but it's pricing reflects collector value more then functional value. If this is going to be a first handgun on a budget, I'd look at Smith or even Taurus first.
    -
    The other thing you have to be careful of when buying a used Colt is whether or not the cylinder is properly timed. The pawl Colt used to set timing is a wearable item. It is what gave the Colts such great lock-up, but they had to be maintained from time to time. You can still get timing adjustment and pawl replacement from Colt, but it is a lengthy wait right now. If you don't know enough about Colts to tell if the one you are looking at is properly timed, you definitely want to bring somebody who does. The problem with gun shows is that the ignorance premium is high; they are easy places to get rid of guns in questionable condition for inflated prices to people who may not be able to tell otherwise, and you may not be able to find the seller again if something goes wrong.
    -
    If you really want a Python or an Anaconda, Cabelas has several in their used gun inventories, and will ship one to a local store for something like $25. You can search their used inventory on-line, and they give you some indication of the condition of the firearm, as well as some photos.

5. Nuka-Knight

Nuka-Knight First time out of the vault

Apr 28, 2017
    I appreciate the advice on that. It was a decent show, but nothing of too much interest that I could find. A couple older FAL models caught my eye, and I saw a non-functional replica of a wood stock G3 that would make a cool display piece, but better to wait for next month. A couple peacemaker recreations looked nice though.

6. SuAside

Admin

May 27, 2004
    Not necessarily. Fairly recently a batch of used revolvers were sold at aim surplus. Their finish was pretty bad, but they were mechanically fine. Quick googling tells me they went for $429.50, but were sold out in half an hour.

So finding a cheap MR-73 isn't necessarily outside the realm of possibility.

Americans do sometimes think that they're some mystical revolvers, but they're just better than an S&W 686 and slightly better than a Python, but obviously inferior to a Korth Combat.
    I'd put them on par with a S&W 686 which was modified by a competent gun smith, but the MR-73 also uses far better steel which increases longevity.

7. JohnnyEgo

Oct 22, 2007
    Nighthawk has some kind of licensing deal with Korth, and has started importing what I would call 'Korth-lite' revolvers domestically. Not classic Korth, but more like an American 'value' line, even though they start at something like $3,500 US. I was all over this when I thought they would be importing conventional Korths, but I am mostly ambivalent about the new models.

I put this little guy together this weekend and took it to the indoor range:

I did not make any friends. I may have also caused some people permanent hearing damage. I had forgotten how loud an unsuppressed .308 could be, and the 16" barrel did not help matters. There was a guy two lanes down sighting in a .300 WSM gun, and mine was louder.

I am not as excited about the Magpul stock as I had hoped. Better than the Hogue, but it seemed to have a little more flex then I would have liked. And of course, this configuration was not excited about running on the cheap stuff. I had a 2 MOA group at 100 yards with PMC 147gr, that shrunk in half with the Federal Gold Medal 168gr. This guy will be going back on the shelf for a while until the can comes in. Just too loud to shoot for my tastes.

8. SuAside

Admin

May 27, 2004
    I shoot a 20" .308Win indoor, but without a brake. I didn't want to annoy people with my pressure waves & noise too much. And since it's a heavy bolt gun, it's not like the recoil is going to matter much.

The clean 20" .308Win is far less annoying than a braked 14.5" .223Rem to the people around me.

9. JohnnyEgo

Oct 22, 2007
    Not to make a joke in poor taste, but it is amazing the difference four extra inches produces. My Knights gun is considerably quieter unsuppressed no brake, and my AI, which also has a 20" barrel and a brake, is way, way quieter. I just found a place that will make Lilja barrels for the 700 with a taper that will accommodate my Knights can. Unfortunately, they do not do AI barrels, and putting a 26" barrel on the 700 kind of defeats the reasons I built it. I've got an AAC can coming in the next month or two (I hope) that will quiet it down quite a bit, and keep the overall footprint around 22".

From my day at the range with it, it's definitely going to be minute of plate at 600 yards, which is good enough for most of the ranges I visit when I travel, and it will be small enough to fit in my smallest Pelican 1700, on the diagonal.

On a semi-related note, a friend of mine clued me into Wiha recently. I had been using an inexpensive but also not terribly accurate Wheeler torque driver, and I got pissed at it when it cammed out a torx screw at allegedly 15 inch pounds. So I got this guy:

I gather Wiha is German, and we always consider everything of German origin to be magically engineered over here, whether true or not, the thoughts of which we soothe ourselves after forking out nearly $300 for a glorified screw driver. Nonetheless, I really like this set in use so far.

10. SuAside

Admin

May 27, 2004
    Yup, yup, I need a new quality torque driver as well, but luckily I did not foolishly go for cheap Chinesium first. ;)