Troubleshooting FAQ, for technical help

Discussion in 'Fallout RPG Gameplay & Tech' started by Odin, Feb 24, 2004.

1. valcik

valcik Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Dec 20, 2008
    Sfall for first Fallout doesn't support graphics modes anyway. Don't get confused, that's advice for Fallout 2 with completely different version of sfall mod.

Try this:

Make sure you have latest version of DirectX 9.0c installed:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109#

1. Install clean Fallout
    2. Apply any eventual patches
    3. Download and install High-Resolution patch, even if you're planning to play with a default 640x480px resolution. There's fix for some graphics issues builded in Hi-Res patch, check the f1_res.ini file afterwards.

2. foidis

foidis First time out of the vault

Dec 19, 2013
    Nevermind, I'm such a dumbass.

I had installed Fixt 6.7.3 without installing 6.7.2 first, so it obviously did not fix anything.

I installed 6.7.2 now and it's working fine.

3. damonicos

damonicos First time out of the vault

Jan 5, 2015
    Trouble Installing FALLOUT 2 Mod

Hi, I recently re-installed fallout 2, got the restoration project and managed to figure out how to install an unlimited party mod. now im trying to install a mod that makes ammo and things harder to attain. One was made by Narrin, looks like exactly what im looking for. I moved the file into the scripts folder, but its not worrking. Ive searched google and this website for how-to s and answers and while i know it should be an easy answer, im stumped! Please help! I would greatly appareciate it. Thanks

Damon

4. BoS boy

BoS boy First time out of the vault

May 27, 2011
    Hi there I'm having a music issue i.e. no music , usually I just change the "FO2 config file" but I have the "F2_res config file" instead and "NO FO2 config file" as normal, I've done a search and cannot get any thread in relation to this, any suggestions??

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  5. Oppen

Oppen FIXT n°1 fan

Dec 26, 2011
    Does anybody here remember if there was a fix to the awfully slow gameplay both Fallout and Fallout 2 have when running on WINE? I really don't want to reboot to Windows to play.

6. voodzia

voodzia First time out of the vault

Jun 27, 2005
    Could somebody fix the link to manual installation of Fo1/2 please? (link on first page is broken)

7. Falloutbunker

Falloutbunker Brotherhood soldier

Jan 3, 2017
    help i got this error on the opening cut scene

The instruction at 04ee97a a referenced memory at 07e08354
    the memory could not read from

8. PlanHex

PlanHex Useless layabout oTO Moderator Orderite

Nov 4, 2007
    What OS are you running? Have you tried reinstalling or manually installing?

9. Falloutbunker

Falloutbunker Brotherhood soldier

Jan 3, 2017
    i am running windows 10 and yes i have manually installed and reinstalled it multiple times. and by the way i am running steam

edit: don't double post
    Ok i reinstalled it one more time and it works, but now it cant save it just said "Unable to save game".

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  10. PlanHex

Nov 4, 2007
    I'm not well versed in Win10.
    Try the solution here: http://www.nma-fallout.com/threads/fallout-1-won´t-save-game.203391/
    Would recommend to only do one step at a time in this order before checking whether it's fixed.
    1. Make sure you have the humongous installation.
    2. Make sure the data and save game folders are not set to read-only.
    3. Try running as administrator.
    4. Try disabling anti-virus.

11. Matthews

Matthews It Wandered In From the Wastes

Aug 29, 2012
    Yo, been gone a bit from these forums as of late, and have encountered an issue when I try to install Fallout 2 on my (slightly) upgraded computer, now with Windows 10 on it. After installing it and clicking for the game to start, it says:
    "Error initializing video mode 640x480"
    Trouble is, I am not very tech savvy, so I cannot really tell more details than this. I really want to get to play Killap's RP again.
    Thanks in advance.

12. PlanHex

Nov 4, 2007
    There's a lot of different suggestions on how to fix this issue all over this forum.
    In fact there is one in this very thread on the previous page. If installing the high-resolution patch doesn't work, just search for "video mode 640x480".