What is the proper solution to Tenpenny Tower

Discussion in 'Fallout 3 Discussion' started by Ziggy Stardust, Aug 26, 2018.

1. sesom

sesom First time out of the vault

Nov 17, 2008
    I actually like the concept of a quest that the player can't win.

Does it fit in the setting that BGS made there, no absolutely not. Tenpenny is as unlogical as it gets in FO3s setting. Still the quest wasn't played save.

2. Big No

Big No Watch as I open and close this door

Oct 28, 2014
    Tenpenny Tower by itself isn't illogical, the way it was portrayed was. Nothing illogical about folks with more wealth lording it over weaker beings.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  3. sesom

sesom First time out of the vault

Nov 17, 2008
    You are correct I didn't find the correct words. (I am not a native english speaker)

4. Octavian

Octavian First time out of the vault

Jun 16, 2018
    The best response in the quest is to do nothing, its the only way innocent people don't die. The status quo is maintained, as opposed to lowered, at the very least.

Its a good commentary about how the wasteland is more realistic than a high fantasy RPG world, where the PC can and should meddle in everything they want and can impart change on the world in the way they see fit. The wasteland is a much more grim place, and some stones are best left unturned.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  5. NMLevesque

NMLevesque Commie Ghost

Jul 2, 2016
    Not doing a quest isn't really commentary though. It's also bad quest design.

6. Octavian

Octavian First time out of the vault

Jun 16, 2018
    I'm being optimistic. Ideally there should have been an option to fail the quest and definitively "walk away". Maybe its not possible in gamebryo though, since they cut the similar idea of letting you walk out of the Mojave Outpost in New Vegas.

7. Cobra Commander

Cobra Commander A Smooth-Skin

Dec 6, 2016
    There is no gray tone in this quest. Either you're evil and you choose to kill three poor devils, just because they're ugly and the leader shouts everyday at the doorbell, or you're good and choose to help because they're living in the sewer.

if I saved a kid from a car hit today and he turned the new Hitler, I did a good deed.

if I KNEW that he would become the new Hitler, then that would be a morally questionable action.

Btw, has a history of the Hulk Professor that is exactly that way.

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Incredible_Hulk_Vol_1_386

back to fallout, your character has no way of knowing the outcome of helping the uglys, so it's not gray =/

• [Rad] [Rad] x 2
  8. Charwo

Charwo Still Mildly Glowing

Mar 9, 2017
    No, it's very clear from the get go Roy's first instinct is to murder everyone in the tower and take it by force. Trusting this guy with a hair-trigger temper and nasty uncivilized notion of social Darwinism, it's pretty clear it's chancey to let him live. If I hadn't just talked to Michael, the other male ghoul, I would have slaughtered Roy right then and there because he's clearly a menace.

9. Cobra Commander

Cobra Commander A Smooth-Skin

Dec 6, 2016
    I'll take your word for it. I have not played this game since 2012, I do not remember very well.

10. Risewild

Risewild Half-way Through My Half-life
    Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    And yet, he has no problems in listening to you and agree with letting you talk people in Tenpenny Tower's into letting the ghouls move in peacefully. He says he doubts it will work, but he gives you the time to try it. He also rewards you if you managed to get the ghouls in peacefully and sounds surprised and pleased with the result:
    He also says that Tenpenny also found the tower and took it from it's previous owner. Implying that Tenpenny also took it by force.
    Roy also mentions that he tried paying to live there several times, also that he got shot at some point by Tenpenny (and Tenpenny does brag about shooting his sniper rifle from his balcony at "game" like a safari).

Also let's not forget that usually the first information a player obtains about Tenpenny is that he wants Megaton destroyed by an atomic bomb. So why would a good player help Roy or Tenpenny in this case?
    At least Roy agrees with a peaceful solution the first time you talk to him. There is no reasoning with Tenpenny about Megaton.

Imagine if Tenpenny had exploded Megaton himself, then some Megaton survivors would be devising the same plan of letting the feral ghouls in the tower. It would be their revenge. They would speak kinda like Roy does (Tenpenny killed everyone in Megaton, he deserves what is coming at him). Would a good player kill these Megaton survivors at Tenpenny's request in this situation?

The ghouls tried the peaceful way several times (pay to live there like any other resident), all they got was hate speech against ghouls (we can even witness some of this when we first approach Tenpenny Tower and hear Roy talking with Gustav), then we learn Tenpenny shots at the ghouls, then we talk to Roy and he agrees to not go with his plan to kill anyone if the player manages to mediate a peaceful way, then Roy is genuinely surprised and quite happy that he doesn't have to release the feral ghouls and kill everyone.
    Then we have 3 Dog reporting that Tenpenny is being evil by not letting the ghouls move in when they can pay to live there. 3 Dog, the "good fight" fighter. The one that will praise the player if he helps the ghouls move peacefully, of berate the player if he kills the ghouls.
    It is obvious the game is offering a "good" way, and that is helping the ghouls.

Everything in the game is (sometimes quite literally) telling us that the Ghouls are innocent and just being discriminated at, and that Tenpenny is evil. :shrug:
    Only after the player knows what happens if you let the ghouls in peacefully, does this quest becomes less "black and white", and instead it just becomes black (no matter what you do, innocent people will die and the tower will be in the hands of someone evil).

• [Rad] [Rad] x 2
  11. Alphons

Alphons National Beholder

Aug 9, 2017
    Or you could let ghouls peacefully in and then exploit FO3's faction system by blasting Roy with combat shotgun. Then you wait for them to forgive you your itchy trigger finger.

12. Risewild

Risewild Half-way Through My Half-life
    Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    Even if you kill Roy in the metro tunnels, right after you just told him they can move, the human residents will still all end up dead after a few days.
    That's how bad that quest is set up.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 2
  13. Alphons

Alphons National Beholder

Aug 9, 2017
    Really? Though the more I think about it I might have played with Unnoficial Patch when I did it.