What was the Funniest Argument You've had with a Bethesda Apologist?

Discussion in 'General Fallout Discussion' started by FlashBash64, May 13, 2016.

1. FlashBash64

FlashBash64 The High Roller

Mar 20, 2016
    I want to laugh. Bonus points for links to the argument.

2. Black Angel

Black Angel Grand Inquisitor of the Ordo Hereticus

Mar 21, 2016
    I'm not sure if this thread belong in 'General Fallout Discussion', since you wanted to see Bethesda's apologist's argument, and I'm also not sure if this kind of thread violated any of the site's rules but... eh.

I've had this conversation with someone who wanted to justify how Fallout 4's voiced protagonist helped him/her 'get emotionally attached' to the story. I can't remember the full sentences and exact words, but it boils down into this:

Bethesda Apologist: *Argument*
    Me: *Counterargument*
    Bethesda Apologist: *Counter-counterargument*
    Me: *Counter-counter-counterarguments*
    Bethesda Apologist: Since you typed in a way that's not reader-friendly, that means I don't have to bother replying to you anymore (or something like that).

I mean, I typed the same way as I did my initial counterargument, and *now* you can't bother to read it because it isn't 'reader-friendly'? Seriously?

This convo existed in YouTube comment section for Fallout 4 (Zero Punctuation), so I don't know how to link it to you, especially since YouTube comment tend to just disappear despite being liked by +10000 people.

I also had another conversation on YouTube, specifically Gopher's video where he ranted about the removal of skills from Fallout 4. And then there's this train of comments started by a guy saying 'Skills are a holdover from a bygone era', and then the counterarguments were started by none other than Gopher himself. The convo also included the arguments about how perks supposed to work. When one brings up how in Fallout 4 nearly all the perks were just regular damage increase, this particular apologist brought up how it was they way it was in the original Fallouts too. I countered by saying that by the time of New Vegas, Obsidian realized that mistake and removed nearly all of the damage increase perks. The guy then replied how in New Vegas there's Commando perk. I reminded him Commando perk was added by Bethesda by Fallout 3. And then he insisted it was added by New Vegas. I shared a link to the wikia and then he just ignored me for the rest of the thread.

3. Izak

Izak I Shot The ALBATROSS

Jan 29, 2016
    Just type "Nostalgia" into the search box and go back a couple of pages, you'll find an endless pool of half cooked, strawman arguments.

Last edited: May 14, 2016
    • [Like] [Like] x 4
  4. Jogre

Jogre It's all JO'Ger now

Oct 25, 2015
    Not that funny, but someone once argued that Fallout 1 and 2 don't count as "Real Fallout games", because "Not enough people have played them"

I also saw someone defending the Dialogue system in FO4 by saying "It's great because you don't have to spend 20 minutes at a time looking through dialogue"

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  5. Izak

Jan 29, 2016
    Oh, that reminds me of the guy that argued about how removing the voiced protagonist from Fallout 4 is equivalent to shitting on a soldiers grave on Veterans day, that was a youtube comment though, so it's probably gone.

6. AlphaPromethean

AlphaPromethean Vault Senior Citizen

Mar 16, 2013
    "You didn't play it enough to make a fair judgement."

"If you played it for 100 hours you must like it :^)"

• [Like] [Like] x 23
  7. Risewild

Risewild Vault Fossil
    Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    Oh man, Bethesdrones who comment on negative steam reviews are always saying both of those things :facepalm:

8. 5545Trey

5545Trey Underground Deviant

Jun 25, 2014
    It disappoints me that people would use nostalgia as an argument. Especially when most of the time, you have no clue if said person has nostalgia for said video game/movie/etc.

• [Like] [Like] x 5
  9. Sergeant Politeness

Sergeant Politeness Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Jun 20, 2015
    Yeah, well, screaming "NOSTALGIA!!!!!" is way easier than making an actual argument.

I don't really argument with Bethesdrones, espcecially IRL. Nothing good ever comes out of it. But I haves seen people dismissing the RPGCodex review on Reddit because the author "sounds like a cynical cunt". I have even seen someone claims the review seemed like it was written by a COD/TF2 fanoby.

Of course, there are those who claims that it's all a matter of opinion, and you can therefore not say that the writing is bad, or that the urgency doesn't fit in an open world.

Last edited: May 15, 2016
    • [Like] [Like] x 1
  10. Black Angel

Black Angel Grand Inquisitor of the Ordo Hereticus

Mar 21, 2016
    This just in.

"You cannot, objectively say in any meaningful capacity, that Fallout 4 is not a Fallout game."

"then the rest of my statement stands, and 2 is not a Fallout game."

11. Izak

Jan 29, 2016
    I'm not sure it's a Bethesda apologist argument but I just found this by accident.
    This is just really damn stupid.

• [Like] [Like] x 9
  12. 0wing

0wing Mods will fix you up

Mar 23, 2015
    But it's the same in Fallout 4, when you kill a BoS or a Railroad or a Institute member somewhere in a dark corner so no one could see you if you feel like it and they turn on hostile. Hipocrisy, ho!

13. Izak

Jan 29, 2016
    No, in Fallout 4 you can kill a BoS battalion and then return to the Prydwyn and no one will care about your having murdered a whole bunch of their knights, because that's how you build an immersive game world! By removing all consequence.

• [Like] [Like] x 4
  14. 0wing

Mar 23, 2015
    But what about people on prydwen? And I believe if you kill a lot of coursers for the railroad radiant quest they'll become hostile someday. No fun : ( /s

Back to the topic: Here's one of the funniest apologists.
    Youtube mostly brings us toxic crap like: "Stop bitching and get over that the games are differents. It's evolution you little shit nugget"
    Facts are speaking for themselves.

Last edited: May 15, 2016
    • [Like] [Like] x 3
  15. Izak

Jan 29, 2016
    He turned glitches into heartwarming nostalgic moments? If I remember correctly Gamespot gave a worse review on New Vegas for the same reason, you fucking shills.

• [Like] [Like] x 9
  16. 0wing

Mar 23, 2015
    Told ya. Hipocrisy is funny when you look from the outside.

17. Risewild

Risewild Vault Fossil
    Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    Might not be the funniest ones, all taken from recent Steam negative reviews comments. So have fun:

These next three are all from the same guy, so I added them all in the same quote tag:

• [Like] [Like] x 4
  18. Izak

Jan 29, 2016

Last edited: May 25, 2016
    • [Like] [Like] x 8
  19. Risewild

Risewild Vault Fossil
    Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    After I stopped banging my head on my desk I decided to turn this sad feeling into artistic inspiration:

• [Like] [Like] x 12
  20. Millim

Millim What the fuck is this for a shit?!

Oct 13, 2010