Zegh's Dinosaur Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum' started by zegh8578, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008

Fucking Odin man.

Anyway, on a more serious note at this point I am really kinda surprised that we havn't seen one hiting a city or destroying a building or something. They believe that such a meteroite or what it's called was responsible for the Tunguska event.

The Tunguska event was a large explosion that occurred near the Stony Tunguska River in Yeniseysk Governorate (now Krasnoyarsk Krai), Russia, on the morning of 30 June 1908 (N.S.).[1][2] The explosion over the sparsely populated Eastern Siberian Taiga flattened 2,000 km2 (770 sq mi) of forest yet caused no known human casualties.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  2. zegh8578

zegh8578 Keeper of the trout Orderite

Mar 11, 2012
    Up untill end of underline could be the perfect beginning of a conspiracy theory website concluding that all meteors are sneaky political cunstructs and that no evidence exists for meteors being real :V

Btw, the recent Russian one, while it didn't destroy buildings, it did quite a bit of structural damage across the nearby city, including shattering a whole lot of windows.
    That was probably as hands-on as we have seen so far

Cities, though, are very very small targets. You know, in relation to non-city planetary landscape.

3. MutantScalper

MutantScalper Dark side in da houssah

Nov 22, 2009
    https://news.nationalgeographic.com...covered-embryos-fossils-paleontology-science/

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  4. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008
    I wouldn't be surprised if someone at some point will reverse engineer the genetic code of dinosaurs to create one.

5. zegh8578

Mar 11, 2012
    Lately, I am more and more cynical regarding amazing fossil finds. Each amazing discovery shared with the world, reminds me of all those that are secretly dug up, prepared, and sold to rich collectors, usually illegally (and in China subject to harsh penalties, at least in theory)
    The "fossil trade" is ... discretely pervasive in that it's not really a very prioritized crime, therefore does not really get pursued a lot - but the results are very depressing

Fossil poachers know what they're doing, they follow the research closely, and they know what's "in". You can't simply "go and fetch" a legendary fossil though, you have to dig for it. So they do. And since it's illegal, they're not gonna go and hand over the "scrap" fossils to researchers. What they consider scrap, are still treasures of incomplete dinosaur species unknown to science, they'll typically shuffle such "small fry" away on Ebay and such sites.
    The big sorrow though, is the truly magnificent fossils, complete material of popular dinosaurs, for example numerous complete Tyrannosaurus skeletons that have been nabbed and sold to private collectors - or the one, first and only ever complete Spinosaurus skull, kept in a private collection, with no access for research, not to mention countles Oviraptorids and other Maniraptorids (small fluffy bird-o-raptors) of all kinds - the more spectacular, the more stunning, the better.
    Trophy-collectors pay top dollar, and they're not gonna quit anytime soon. Basically the same driving force that pushes for any other kind of poaching, be it elephant or tiger, or rare parrots simply *because* they are rare.
    That's the kind of arrogance that really makes me fume, some rich fuck gloating "there's only 4 left in the world!"
    Someone like that take pleasure directly from the fact that they are holding something that is not shared, that is absolutely exclusive - SO exclusive - noone on earth can partake.

Reminds me of these shits who're trying to patent humanity or human genome or the concept of faces or whatever

ugh

had to rant

Nice discovery though, and from what I can tell, its not in China's main dino hotspots, which makes it even more surprising.

• [Like] [Like] x 3
  6. zegh8578

Mar 11, 2012
  7. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008
    Not so adorable anymore when they disembowl you. But they would probably make a happy face.

8. zegh8578

Mar 11, 2012
    Disembowel? The little duck-o-raptor is around 70 cm long, and no taller than a carton of milk. You'd have to be, like, mindbogglingly feeble to get killed by something that would be hard pressed to intimidate a current living duck :V

9. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008

*Shrugs*

10. zegh8578

Mar 11, 2012
    Don't get me started! >:y

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  11. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008