200 + hour game reviews

• Thread starter Thread starter TorontoReign
  • Start date Start date
Heh.
I almost dropped one of these on BreathEdge; and yes, it was a negative one.

Basically, I got the game at early access stage and played it's crashsite/survival/0G basebuilding section to "destruction". It was basic and quite limited but I had quite a bit of fun with it and was actually looking forward to the systems being expanded and polished along the the player feedback.
Instead, the 1.0 update wiped player's material stocks, discarded almost all of the basebuilding aspects and turned a large chunk of the chapter 4 and onwards to another "slowly walking forward simulation"

Yeah, I was a wee bit miffed after enjoying the game for 200+ hours in early access...

Lesson for me is for people to stop playing games too early in EA.

Eh, the correct answer is "it depends".

IIRC, I got the game for 15 or maybe 10 usd during very early parts of it's EA after coming across a LP of it. At 0.05 or 0.075 usd per hour, it was an excellent value per price game that I really enjoyed.
The thing that got me was seeing all that potential and solid if a bit incomplete foundation crash and burn needlessly.

Of my currently installed games pile; Hardspace Shipbreakers, 20 Min Till Dawn, Vampire Survivors, Mewnbase, ColonyShip, Dysmantle, Dead State, Iron Harvest, Lethis, Valheim were all games that I got while in early access with decent discounts after coming across their LPs and doing a decent (20 min to 1 hour) research on them to see if they fit my tastes.

Then again, taking a deeper look into my game list, I can also see that I have gambled on other games like Base 1, Evil Genius 2, The Haze, P.a.m.e.l.a., Starport Delta and, well those are definitely misses. But I've always tried to keep it logical and keep the risks to a calculated level; with the exception of EG2 (which I EAed for nostalgia reasons and then was unable to play on my current game rig due to Win7 incompatibility) , the rest cost something like 5 usd in total and... Meh, I can afford to eat a few duds now and then as I never buy outside of deep discounts anyway.

I would make the counter argument that buying games in EA isn't the actual problem, buying games when they aren't in deep, deep discounts is the issue.

When you play a game during EA you often get burnt out before the game is even complete. It depends on the game but I know I would NEVER play a RPG in EA.

When you play a game during EA you often get burnt out before the game is even complete. It depends on the game but I know I would NEVER play a RPG in EA.
I think playing the game too early on the early access isn't that bad actually, sometimes it made me appreciate way more the final product, but if you keep playing during the whole development, than it might diminish your experience.

A good example of that at least for me was with Subnautica, I played it on one of the first EA versions of it and came back only after the release, and seeing how they had build an amazing from that already good foundation was quite cool.

I guess it depends on your toleration for playing the same shit over and over again. I cannot boot up the original Fallout games anymore. I have played them too much. Please understand.

Back