Bethesda hiring for unannounced game on next-gen consoles

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by WorstUsernameEver, Feb 27, 2012.

1. WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver But best title ever!

May 28, 2010
    Bethesda has just published a job posting for a programmer on "an unannounced game on future-generation consoles", with "experience playing Bethesda Game Studios games" listed as a plus:<blockquote>Bethesda Game Studios is looking for experienced programmers to work on cutting-edge technology for an unannounced game on future-generation consoles.

Requirements

• At least 5 years of game development experience with multiple titles shipped
    • Extensive experience programming and optimizing for the Xbox 360 and PS3
    • Experience with DirectX 11 a plus
    • Passion for making GREAT games, and being part of a GREAT team
    • Ability to contribute innovative ideas towards all aspects of game development
    • Must create amazing things with minimal oversight
    • Experience playing Bethesda Game Studios games a plus</blockquote>Considering Bethesda Game Studios pretty much work exclusively on The Elder Scrolls and Fallout and Skyrim came out in November and will be supported with DLC, this most likely means Fallout 4 will be a next-gen launch title. Make of that what you will.

2. The Dutch Ghost

The Dutch Ghost Grouchy old man of NMA Moderator

Jan 11, 2004
    Well we knew that the current flow of good news couldn't last forever.

Guess the other type finally caught up.

How weird it may sound I hope they are going to work on something completely new, at least Fallout will then be safe for a while.

3. Starwars

Starwars Mildly Dipped

Sep 17, 2006
    I hope that it'll be something new as well.

I thought I didn't care much anymore but just the thought of living through the pre-Fallout 3 hype and then the Fallout 3 reviews and all that comes with it again... Ugh.

4. WorstUsernameEver

May 28, 2010
    I do hope that it's something new, but I kinda doubt they'd put the Fallout franchise on sleep so soon and attempt to go with a new IP, it seems like they've found a balance they're comfortable with alternating between the two franchises.

And who knows, maybe this time they'll nail the setting! I really want to hope. :(

5. EnigmaGrey

EnigmaGrey First time out of the vault

Sep 28, 2011
    You're right. If they're making something terrible, they might even hire me! Where's the application?!

6. sydney_roo

sydney_roo Still Mildly Glowing

Nov 24, 2008
    I'd like to see next Fallout running on Skyrim engine but I wouldn't like to see it being made by Bethesda. Anyhow, interesting news.

7. Sub-Human

Sub-Human -

May 31, 2011
    Yeah, too bad you won't be doing great games.

8. TwinkieGorilla

TwinkieGorilla This ghoul has seen it all

Oct 19, 2007
    *Walks away from threads filled with intensely good news about Wasteland 2*

What's that? Bethesda's doing something?

*yawn*

Right, right. Mmmkay.

9. Akratus

Akratus Bleep bloop.

May 14, 2011
    Get Obsidian on the project.

Get Obsidian on the project.

PLEASE GET OBSIDIAN TO WORK ON FALLOUT 4.

10. Morbus

Morbus Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Aug 16, 2006
    Erm, dude, Fallout 3 runs on Skyrim's engine. Or rather, Skyrim runs on Fallout 3's engine, and Fallout 3 on Oblivion's, and Oblivion on Morrowind. This will just be Morrowind V.

11. mobucks

mobucks As a goof Orderite

May 22, 2010
    Well, it seems the concept art had a large impact on the outcome of how Fallout 3 looked, so now with the artist dead, maybe the game ends up looking completely different? It will be interesting to see how a Fallout 4 transitions from one artist and hardware to the next gen with a new artist.
    But I bet you mean the dark hardcore atmosphere of the first game, to which I also hope for, yet cannot but remain pessimistic about.

12. Yamu

Yamu Le Fromage Vieux oTO Moderator Orderite

Jul 26, 2003
    :scratch:

Maybe you're just being hyperbolic, but the Creative engine is leaps and bounds ahead of Gamebryo, even if there are chunks of it still in there. It's a lot prettier, and in my experience, it's waaaay more stable. They're not exactly tied into the engine, but their improvements to Radiant AI and their use of Havok animations make a notable difference, too. I'm still no major fan of the direction Bethesda's decided to take the Fallout franchise in, but a Fallout game built on Skyrim's skeleton would be a vast improvement over F3.

13. WorstUsernameEver

May 28, 2010
    Actually the art direction was, with the exception of a few blunders (Super Mutants and the new noisy and not really that retro-futuristc power armors) something I found to be consistently good in Fallout 3. It's the writing and world building that ended up killing it as a Fallout game for me (despite the fact that I actually enjoyed it and as far as Bethesda games go, I think it's one of their best), and while those aspects have been improved a bit in Skyrim (especially the second), I'm not really sure if I'd expect them to nail it. But I really want to believe.

And to be fair, I acknowledge that "nailing the setting" was probably a poor choice of words.

14. Izual

Izual Pipe rifle & chopsticks

Sep 18, 2009
    Re: Bethesda hiring for unannounced game on next-gen console

Lol'd

Why? They've hurt it enough already.

15. The Dutch Ghost

The Dutch Ghost Grouchy old man of NMA Moderator

Jan 11, 2004
    Re: Bethesda hiring for unannounced game on next-gen console

In what way?

Storyline more in tune with the original games?
    Working faction mechanics?
    Better developed settings?

16. Serge 13

Serge 13 Pussy Virus Orderite

Jul 20, 2006
    From what it seems, people had a lot of fun with Skyrim. I am kind of curious to know how Fallout 4 will turn out to be. But will bethesda finally use a new engine for this game? Will the crashes finally stop? Will there be ladders?! I doubt it...

17. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    Well, yes. Skyrim is a fun game. But it's not as "deep" as a Fallout game should be and therefore not very representative. It's still a big funpark, just like Fallout 3 was- though, with a little bit better quests (most of them just end bleh still).

18. WorstUsernameEver

May 28, 2010
    I thought that Fallout 3's quests were leaps and bounds better than Skyrim's uninspired dungeon romps, honestly.

19. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    I think it's only due to the presentation. Fallout 3 didn't tried to make epic battles with 5 NPCs, after all. Or joining a guild and becoming the boss of it after two short quests (which send you over the whole worldmap twice).

20. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    Fallout 3 had a handful of quests that quest structure wise were really good, but kind of fell apart on the writing, primarily Tenpenny Towers.

Bethesda has a ways to go to reach the level they should be at. Sadly, they got no reason to do so.