Bethesda vs Obsidian power armor adaptation

Which one do you think did the best job?

• Total voters

Homer2137

It Wandered In From the Wastes
Does anyone else hate how Obsidian adapted Advanced Power Armor? They gave it such a small pauldrons, when they should be as big as T51b pauldrons, it makes APA looks so slim, and they gave it a fucking silly fan, not a radiation sign for some reason, even though you can clearly see it on low resolution sprite, I mean, fan looks so impractical and fragile. Bethesda did a far better job with T51b, although I gotta say, Remnant power armor is very detailed, unlike Bethesda's(and I miss that shiny metal ass power armors had:cry:).
RemnantsPowerArmor.png
Screenshot_20240620_150735.jpg
FO3_T51_power_armor.png
Screenshot_20240620_150820.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone else hate how Obsidian adapted Advanced Power Armor?
Of course.

I can tell you that to do an accurate (and functional!) version of either original armor in-game is impossible —due to the requirement that the library of human movements be applied to those wearing the armor. They would have had to make PA wearers become similar to monster/animal entities like the feral ghouls; with their own animation set. That's too much work...might even be infeasible on consoles.

*Still... nothing will excuse Obsidian for that atrocious animated fan on the back of the Advanced PA suit; aside from non-canon (and stupid), it is an unarmored tunnel to shoot at the wearer's spine.

Last edited:
The way I see it, both adaptations kind of suck, but I will still take New Vegas implementation over the one made by bugthesda.

Don’t get me wrong, bugthesda's design is far more meaty and looks more bulky/feasible over the new vegas design. However, I hate power armor being reduced to level based loot, fusion core existence, no damage threshold - power armour gets damaged by everything, etc.

Though, I agree with Gizmo that fan of the back of APA is stupid to say the least.

The best compromise for me is the Titans of New West mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/78688?tab=images&BH=0

Lexx made an ADV PA mod that was reasonable, and published it!—which is more than I did:
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/4641/?

I made one, but just... stopped at some point, and forgot about it. It's in my SIG.
I actually started the model in Caligari trueSpace, before [begrudgingly] switching over to Blender because it could export for Nifscope, (though I'm quite a fan of Blender).
*This was before New Vegas. I never made the finalized textures; just place-holders.
EnclaveArmor.jpg

The mesh had to be radically changed to conform to the animated skeleton used in FO3.

Last edited:
The way I see it, both adaptations kind of suck, but I will still take New Vegas implementation over the one made by bugthesda.

Don’t get me wrong, bugthesda's design is far more meaty and looks more bulky/feasible over the new vegas design. However, I hate power armor being reduced to level based loot, fusion core existence, no damage threshold - power armour gets damaged by everything, etc.

Though, I agree with Gizmo that fan of the back of APA is stupid to say the least.

The best compromise for me is the Titans of New West mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/78688?tab=images&BH=0
Oh yeah, power armor mechanics such as looting, fusion cores, damage threshold are obviously horrible no doubt in that, I was just talking about the design of model.
I don't really like Titans of the New West that much, I mean, it feels really awesome to walk around in this huge tank, but gamebryo is 3D and the world map wasn't designed for you to be so big, and regular guns feel really small, which answer the question why Bethesda made 10mm pistol and Assault Rifle so huge, and I'm not sure, but that TOTNW power armor is too damn big, in Classic Fallouts it's just slightly bigger than other models/sprites by a head, and it still retain the same proportions.

Lexx made an ADV PA mod that was reasonable, and published it!—which is more than I did:
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/4641/?

I made one, but just... stopped at some point, and forgot about it. It's in my SIG.
I actually started the model in Caligari trueSpace, before [begrudgingly] switching over to Blender because it could export for Nifscope, (though I'm quite a fan of Blender).
*This was before New Vegas. I never made the finalized textures; just place-holders.
View attachment 28819

The mesh had to be radically changed to conform to the animated skeleton used in FO3.

Woah, that is damn old, too bad you didn't released it, but you know what would be great? To simply replace animated fan with radiation symbol on default remnant power armor, maybe make the support for TOTNW, that's the only thing that makes me mad, pauldrons, meh, I can live with that.

Or better Idea, Advanced Power Armor and Power Armor sprites look almost the same, you can even see old pauldrons with added hood on top, how about repaint existing T51b to the Enclave colors, and maybe later add hood, radiation symbol and helmet.

Back