Bethesda's Pete Hines spills the details on why Fallout 4 is so bright

kraag

Stalwart Prick
I thought I might have found myself an answer as to why Fallout 4 was way too bright by default [and maybe why the game had no options slider to change it].

No. He does not spill any details about the over-brightness, as usual, he just gives the most bullshit "non-answer" that these corporate dickheads are doing more and more of these days. Just trying to throw people away from the question, seems to me.

He calls out Fallout 3 because it is too dark and gloomy, then precedes to inform us that Fallout 4 is an awesome game and it is just how it is, "This is reality now". [?]

If anyone can decrypt this cryptic answer and tell me why Fallout 4 is so bright, I'd appreciate that very much.

http://www.gamezone.com/news/bethes...details-on-why-fallout-4-is-so-bright-3424207

I believe they made an episode of Spongebob where Pete Hines tried to justify the Chum Bucket's existence.

They got a lot of shit for making Fallout 3 all green, right? I think it's just a simple case of "oh, people didn't like that, let's do something else."

I have to say, this new graphical style makes a lot more sense. Too bad it came with a sucky game...

Is it me or does the PR and marketing guy have way too much input into the design of games at Bethesda. I looked at his wiki page and he was a radio DJ and from what I can tell would rather be working for ESPN than a game developer.

They got a lot of shit for making Fallout 3 all green, right? I think it's just a simple case of "oh, people didn't like that, let's do something else."

I have to say, this new graphical style makes a lot more sense. Too bad it came with a sucky game...
I personally liked the green ambience of Fallout 3. It made for a nice atmosphere, and it really helped the game look a little better because in my opinion the game engine has aged horribly and taking that green tint out just brings out the ugliness more.

The green tint helped the bad engine/graphics look better in my opinion.

Fallout 4 looks fine aesthetically though. It has its own nice ambience. Unfortunately they listened to all the pseudo-Fallout fans (the ones that are not RPG or Fallout fans but just like shoot-and-loot nonsense) and turned the rest of the game into an open world FPS-MMO shoot-and-loot that is somehow also on-rails in terms of story thanks to immortal NPCs and zero dialogue choices.

No green tint but now everything has a color pallet equal to that of a deluxe pack of play dough.
81tEFtVFzBL._SY355_.jpg

Pre-war must of looked like a mcdonalds play-area, or better yet nuke-town, ironic

Last edited:
or better yet nuke-town, ironic

Whelp. Thanks for reminding me to share this. The resemblance to Fallout 4 is ridiculously uncanny. The dummies are a good representation of Fallout 4's character animation.

latest

(From CoD, this is Black Ops 2's variant, known as Nuketown 2025)

Didn't they say they took inspiration from cod among other games?

I wouldn't be surprised. Both their big faces - Todd Howard and Pete Hines - always seemed like the Call of Duty target audience.

Still, the Call of Duty series? The gunplay is as solid as FPS games get, the weapon variety is large, and one of their games had more choice and consequence in endings than the entirety of Fallout 4's main quest, so it has a head start.

So most of the replies here don't seem to mind the brightness of Fallout 4 ? Makes me think that it could have been something on my end... the game [for me] was really way too bright, like solid white while near light sources, unable to make out any detail. Even after installing Fr4nsson's Light Tweaks which actually removes a lot of lights from the game via imagespace edits, it was still unplayable - yet every other game on my computer is near perfect [AND has some form of brightness control in the game]. Weird shit - but really, even if the game had normal brightness for me - it wouldn't make the game suck any less.

So most of the replies here don't seem to mind the brightness of Fallout 4 ? Makes me think that it could have been something on my end... the game [for me] was really way too bright, like solid white while near light sources, unable to make out any detail. Even after installing Fr4nsson's Light Tweaks which actually removes a lot of lights from the game via imagespace edits, it was still unplayable - yet every other game on my computer is near perfect [AND has some form of brightness control in the game]. Weird shit - but really, even if the game had normal brightness for me - it wouldn't make the game suck any less.

While some form of basic brightness adjustment would certainly be nice for a goddamn AAA $60 game, Bethesda Bethesda Bethesda.

Also, I've never actually gotten that problem, have you checked around to see if anyone else had the same issue?

I've had a look, but honestly, I don't give that much of a fuck about the game anymore to bother searching through corporate googles filtered results. I'll keep an eye on the main forums but that's about it... I've always got modded Skyrim [which whips fo4s ass afaic].

I haven't really a problem with the art-style. I like the mishmash of the strange yet simplistic plastic-like art-deco skyscrapers and the Boston colonial city streets and urban housing. It's more the gameplay and the writing that I have problem with. I like that for once, a post-apocalyptic game has saturation turned up instead of down. Fitting or not, it's a nice change of pace.

The art style is fine, the brightness doesn't bother me much (although I believe it's there just to cover up the fact that nothing looks good up close).
The games graphics are okay with me, I don't have a problem on that front.

To reply with F4 taking influence from COD, ironically, Fallout 4 is what I want to see from COD, that sort of open-world shooter. It's a shame it's got the Fallout name attached as I could have enjoyed it more.

To reply with F4 taking influence from COD, ironically, Fallout 4 is what I want to see from COD, that sort of open-world shooter. It's a shame it's got the Fallout name attached as I could have enjoyed it more.

It's kind of the problem I'm sort of seeing with AAA games - I get that publishers order features from popular games to be put in their games too for mass appeal, but it feels so excessive these days that all AAA games feel like they're becoming the exact same game. How about this - see how many games you can name off the top of your head when you think of "open-world action, optional stealth elements, crafting mechanics, skill tree"?

Games being unique is what's missing the most from mainstream games. There's barely any identity in so many games I start to get memories of playing them mixed up because they're all so similar. I really would like to see publishers release a game that's bad yet innovative, then continue with a sequel that has improved on all the mechanics that were bad, rather than dropping it because it was a risky move that didn't make enough money.

Sure, it's an unlikely scenario, but not to me, since I'm one of those naive, guileless, inexperienced youngsters who actually think corporate lawyers and CEOs do have a soul, that world peace is possible, that poverty and racism can be solved, and that there is good in everyone. :nod:

That's a good point.
I'm still seeing that faith is in the Indie market, games like No Man's Sky and Shenmue 3 I hope would prove that a game can be successful if it strides to have its own identity.

Back