Cassidy's talking head ... needs a voice!

Josan12

Vault Senior Citizen
So my question with regards to Cassidy's talking head is: who did it?

I for one think it's rather good, and i would like to suggest a few things:

1) Did the creator give him lipsync ability? If not, why not dust off the 3D model and make them because we could then ....
2) Give him a voice! Sure, it wouldn't be Ron Perlman, but hey, it would be fun - we could do some auditions here at NMA. He could have a gruff, rasping Texas drawl ...
3) I'd also give the talking head's body armour, in line with the NPC armour mod.

Casidy talking head is from the Mutants Rising mod and was made by mad, one of our old 3d artists.

1) All the needed animations have been made. The lip syncing is handled by *.lip files. The lip files mark out the phoneme positions in the audio file (*.acm) where the lips need to move. There are two tools available to do this

Lip Editor by Anchorite (Team X) - you to do it all manually by hand

wav2lip by Eimink (Mutants Rising) - Automaticaly generates LIP file for Fallout 2 from WAV

Eimink is was working on a new version that would work better apparently. I've email him and see how its going.

2) We will be making him talk in the final release of MR, time permitting the voice actor 'might' be able to record the original dialogue from fallout 2 as well (that way the voices will match).

3) err nope, he's currently wearing leather armour from memory anyway and we wont be changing anything.

Are you going to give Cassidy more backgrounds as well? At the moment he only has one.

It bothered me that Cassidy didn't say anything, and I was toying with the idea of asking someone I know to do some voicework for him, but if you already have an actor lined up that's cool. Is there anyplace we can hear some samples of what this actor may have done already, for Cassidy or otherwise? And I agree with Josan that he should have a gruff, rasping Texas drawl. That sounds perfect. I don't agree that he should have matching armor. No other characters have this feature to their portrait and even if you fixed them too, let's say sometime in the future someone makes a portrait for say, Vic. They would either need to make matching portraits for him as well or it would remain inconstant with existing ones. You just know if someone makes a Vic head that killap will use it and I doubt many people would make their mod with your mod in mind. It would just complicate things.

BOS Man said:
It bothered me that Cassidy didn't say anything, and I was toying with the idea of asking someone I know to do some voicework for him, but if you already have an actor lined up that's cool. Is there anyplace we can hear some samples of what this actor may have done already, for Cassidy or otherwise?

Right on. I don't have anything lined up as yet - it's just a suggestion at this stage. But as Wild-Qwerty says it sounds like the MR team is on the case! Awesome! Now, we know the graphics and technical stuff can be done, but how to get a good voice? well, i would suggest we start with folks here at NMA posting WAV files from freinds or themselves saying some of Cassidy's lines - something like an online audition. We can maybe do a poll or something to decide which gets chosen.

BOS Man said:
And I agree with Josan that he should have a gruff, rasping Texas drawl. That sounds perfect.

Thats the idea. I'll have a think if i have any Texan freinds!

BOS Man said:
I don't agree that he should have matching armor. No other characters have this feature to their portrait and even if you fixed them too, let's say sometime in the future someone makes a portrait for say, Vic. They would either need to make matching portraits for him as well or it would remain inconstant with existing ones. You just know if someone makes a Vic head that killap will use it and I doubt many people would make their mod with your mod in mind. It would just complicate things.

What i'm suggesting mostly applies to the NPC armour mod, as now the main NPC's have armoured sprites, the talking heads such as Sulik look particularly strange with a bare-chested tribal body when he's wearing Power Armour. I don't really know how the talking heads work, but i've noticed the body (well, shoulders really) are completely static - only the head moves. It would therefore be relatively straightforward to make them armoured appropriately. I was thinking of taking the Power Armoured shoulders from Rhombus' talking head in FO1, and putting sulik (or cassidy's) head on them.....

Josan12 said:
would be fun - we could do some auditions here at NMA. He could have a gruff, rasping Texas drawl ...
AFAIK, it's not so hard to dig up some capable voice-man (what a word) as it's said.

Josan12 said:
Thats the idea. I'll have a think if i have any Texan freinds!
I actually do have Texan friends, but they are originally from Chicago so I don't think that helps us. Since they moved there, the only change to their dialect is that they now say y'all.

I think auditions are a great idea. I'll ask my guy if he will do it, but I need some help. I don't use my microphone ever, so what is a good choice for voice recording software? I'd rather not use a sub-par program.

EDIT: Oh, one other thing I'll need is Cassidy's script. Where in the game files would I find this and which file exploring program is best? I don't want to miss anything.

Back