Fallout Tactics mod Demo Missions Integrated Into The Campaign

Satida

First time out of the vault
Hey guys,

I've been playing around with Fallout Tactics again and I really liked the 2 demo missions, so I modded them into the main campaign, together with some tweaks and small changes, so that the maps have a bit more content and context. I'm not finished yet, since it really takes some tweaking and editing in the editor to make it work, but it looks really promising.

I'm not sure how much interest there is for more Fallout Tactics modding content, but I'm contemplating to do a bit more to the main game and expand the options the main campaign gives you. I still have some maps and assets that have never been released.

If there are still people alive who want more Fallout Tactics content, I'm willing to do some more if there is enough interest... so let me know.

Greetings and thanks,

Satida

It's a good idea~ The first mission is frankly a bit too sudden, throwing player right into a main mission. The fixed builds of two other companions is too limiting, as well~

If you integrate demo mission into main campaign, you might want to think about throwing them into Brahmin Woods with level1 and enough xp to level up, so people can have some freedom to mess with builds.

The way I have it modded in is that you start with the two demo missions, I fixed the dialogue and made some changes to the maps, making them a bit longer. The enemies are a tad bit easy, so I might tweak that a bit but overall, you level up 2 times, 1 level per mission, giving you enough points to tweak your starter characters.

I made edits to the dialogue, making the briefings and debriefings fit into the whole game. I'm actually pretty proud of the audio edits... It's not easy, because you have to save the MP3 files a certain way, otherwise the engine wont play it or play it was distorted sounds.

I also added 1 recruit in the second missions that you need to rescue, giving you 4 characters to start Brahmin Woods. You'll be able to get new recruits after Brahmin Woods, like normal. So I might bump the difficulty of the following missions up a bit. Otherwise you just roll over enemies too fast.

The tricky thing with Fallout Tactics is that you tend to have an easy time, or a really hard time, it's super hard to balance missions so that they are a challenge.

I'm tempted to just keep modding the existing maps as well, I always felt that towns never really felt like a town, but more like rubble and destroyed buildings with people around them. Especially Brahmin Woods, which is a village with people living in them, but it never had any tents that felt like area's people lived in.

You'd think, even after a nuclear war, people would still be able to provide shelter for themselves, have some sense of community, I feel the original game lost that in the missions designs. With just a bit more work, they could have brought a town to life.

Hmmm very interesting idea, I like it!!!

Even though I've never played the two demo missions, I've seen gameplay footage of it however, and I thought it looked cool. Especially after seeing TriangleCity cover them in one of his videos, they really intrigued me.

Keep at it, the mod sounds great!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :ok: 8-)

Yes, very good idea. Maybe even start in the first bunker, I never understood why you had to start directly in the first mission. Probably something to do with the fact they did not intend to have any worldmap during development, and only added it later on.

Back