Developments in the Fallout setting post-show

CT Phipps

Carbon Dated and Proud
I considered doing this thread and initially disregarded it. I would love to discuss the show but for the majority of posters here, I feel like no one would actually CARE about the developments in the Bethesda timeline of Fallout. It's something the people here hate and consider non-canon so it's like being on theforce.net and discussing the sequel trilogy's worldbuilding. However, if you're willing to go down the abyss of Todd Howard's world, let's discuss the changes of the setting in the Bethesda timeline introduced in the show.

1. The revival of the Brotherhood: The Brotherhood of Steel has returned from the brink of destruction at the hands of NCR and becomes a dominant power in the Wasteland. This is due to the fact that they seem to have canonized the Good Ending of Fallout 3 and Minutemen/Brotherhood for Fallout 4. I think this is an interesting but somewhat boring twist that keeps the status quo similar. After all, Arthur Maxson is back to a fairly traditionalist interpretation of the Codex. It seems more mystical and religious, though, and some of their Paladins are fucking jokes.

2. NCR seems to exist but not a polity: Moldaver is apparently leading a Griffith Observatory colony based in Los Angeles Park. The survivors of Shady Sands all seem to think of her as a messianic figure that is going to bring back prosperity to the Wasteland and revive NCR. The citizens of Vault 4 also seem to still think of themselves as citizens despite the lack of a government. The fact the "Boss Hog" figure claims to be a President indicates there's no formal government, though. Moldaver's faction is annihilated by the BOS at the end, though.

3. Shady Sands was not the capital of NCR: It was listed as the "first" capital of NCR so presumably it was replaced by another city at some point, possibly the Boneyard. Given 30,000 died in the event, it's very probable this lead to the government and economy collapsing, though. That was like 5% of the population last time we had a census.

4. The Enclave is still extant but broken in power: Apparently, the New Vegas retcon that the Enclave still had a facility in Chicago indicates they are still around and the Fallout 4 update confirms it. They are in a broken down shitty labratory, though, and I think we can officially assume they're no longer made of pure humans anymore than any other Wastelanders. They're also working with existing agencies and bounty hunters.

5. New Vegas appears to be abandoned: The images at the end of the series are seemingly of a New Vegas that was attacked by Deathclaws and other forces with no sign of lights. I wouldn't be surprised if they canonized an independent Courier ending or House that fell after the fall of NCR.

6. A Vault-Tec Faction Exists: Vault 31, 32, and 33 exist as a group that is apparently still under the control of Vault-tec 200 years later and specifically middle-manager turned robobrain, Bud. This could, depending on events, be a massive Enclave-like group or just Bud's Buds acting in Vault-Tec's name centuries later. I'm hoping it's the latter.

Back