Divide and conquer, my thoughts on console mods

DirtyOldShoe

Some kind of lucky
So we all witnessed Beth and Zeni claim they have the "community'' in mind then cause a vomit war with the paid mod fiasco, then leave it to gabe to make an executive decision. I think the same will happen to the console users and pc users when they actually allow "modding for them.

Nexus and other sites will be off limits for them for sure, bottle necking them to only download approved content from Zenthesda.net

Will big daddy allow them boobies? kill-able children? Mods that alter quest structures or game functionality? Magic 8 ball says no.

You, me and those who claim to be able to make RPG games know that many console users are under aged. A nice loophole to rake in some Zenimax cash. If you think the series was dumbed down or streamlined for console, what do you think will be available for mods?

Do you really think Beth will allow quest mods when they are charging $XX.XX for DLCs? Do you think that they will allow Deathclaw companions when their next DLC will have it included? Nope nope nope.

"That isn't fair?!?! Why does PC get all the good mods and we are stuck with reskins and weapons?"

So has it been written, when mods are allowed for console there will be a war. Console vs Beth and console vs PC.

I think trying to work in a way for console users to get mods makes a lot of sense. One of the things you will hear time and time again about Bethesda games is that the PC experience with them is vastly superior, and one of the biggest reasons for that is "mods." So Bethesda might potentially be losing sales from people lacking the time, expertise, interest, or patience to deal with the rougher edges of PC gaming who nevertheless enjoy video games and might pass on Fallout 4 if they knew they were getting a drastically inferior experience with the console version.

So offering mods to console users too makes good business sense. But since everything on PSN/XBLA has to be cleared by Sony/MS then you're pretty much only going to get things that Bethesda vetted, and that means you're not going to get anything potentially illegal or highly controversial (so no copyrighted stuff and no nude mods.) I'm not sure that's really a great loss, honestly.

Is this a potential gateway to paid mods? Sure, but only in the sense that "paid mods" do make a lot of sense. If people put in a whole lot of time and effort towards making a really good mod, I see no reason they shouldn't be compensated for that.

Is this a potential gateway to paid mods? Sure, but only in the sense that "paid mods" do make a lot of sense. If people put in a whole lot of time and effort towards making a really good mod, I see no reason they shouldn't be compensated for that.
That $99 Horse Balls Mod for Skyrim was totally worth it.

They do realize a lot of those mods need the script extender to function properly, how will that work. If downloading and installing mods are similar to the way it's done on PC, what happens if they screw up their game with incompatible mods or cause lock ups and crashing? Then Microsoft, Sony, and Bethesda are going to get a lot of complaints from people complaining that the mods broke their game.

I'm guessing that without load order tools the console will end up with skin and stat changes and access to otherwise unavailable NPC armors/weapons. On the subject of mods has anyone seen this, http://www.falloutlonestar.com/ looks like it could be another Project Brazil.

"Throughout the Fallout series I’ve always found the various food & prop items to be one of the most interesting features"

:lol:

Wait that's one of the most interesting features? I thought it was the quests, RPG mechanics, NPC dialogue, and C&C was one of the most interesting features.
Junk hoarding simulator for the win.

That's coming from someone who is creating new food models, so of course that's their favorite part. I don't even know if this mod will ever be finished but they get props from me for ambition.

That's coming from someone who is creating new food models, so of course that's their favorite part. I don't even know if this mod will ever be finished but they get props from me for ambition.
I always find the food stuffs annoying considering I've been killed by food I've tripped over before. I mean what's the point of food when there's no survival besides the fact that it heals you way more than stimpacks. Well props to them even though I don't know how 200 year old food in a Fallout game is an interesting feature, still way better than making bigger titties for all females.

If anything I figure the mods will be more bottlenecked by Microsoft (and Sony if the PlayStation ever mods) or just by the limitation of the consoles rather than by Bethesda themselves. And I agree that it'll just be through their website and/or maybe through some option in the starting menu for the game. Though I'm sure there will be some sort of curation involved to keep Microsoft happy and maybe to keep out stuff that will break the consoles. Just for that very reason it would kinda have to be just limited to either Bethesda's website, or one under Microsoft's control.

Speaking of mods breaking the consoles...I want to see(when someone makes those true high quality texture mods) what happens if you install a high quality PC texture mod on an Xbone or PS4, what happens or how long before it takes a shit.

Speaking of mods breaking the consoles...I want to see(when someone makes those true high quality texture mods) what happens if you install a high quality PC texture mod on an Xbone or PS4, what happens or how long before it takes a shit.
That is my point. I think Bethesda will have the final say. If they deem it dangerous, it wouldn't be allowed. Beth probably is or has worked out the fine details in regard to what they will permit with Sony and Microsoft. I know that from the Steam event that they will try to illuminate 3rd party influence as much as possible. Beth wouldn't do it if they didn't have final say or majority vote. I doubt they will allow 8k textures.

That is my point. I think Bethesda will have the final say. If they deem it dangerous, it wouldn't be allowed. Beth probably is or has worked out the fine details in regard to what they will permit with Sony and Microsoft. I know that from the Steam event that they will try to illuminate 3rd party influence as much as possible. Beth wouldn't do it if they didn't have final say or majority vote. I doubt they will allow 8k textures.
This is part of the reason I don't buy consoles, big corporations getting together and deciding whats best for a customer after they've paid for a product. You better believe those console mods will probably be behind their xbox live "gold membership" pay wall too.

On the subject of mods has anyone seen this, http://www.falloutlonestar.com/ looks like it could be another Project Brazil.

Looks pretty good actually. It makes a lot of sense that they choose to make it set in El Paso (one of the largest cities in TX, and naturally bordered by mountains). I also like that they didn't feel the need to add in Super Mutants for no reason, also there's at least some semblance of civilization at least.

I never thought about this too much because I've been a PC gamer for years and recently bought an R9 390 which rejuvenated my experience. But they simply have to filter the mods they allow on console. They won't allow anything offensive because they still have a reputation to save. They won't allow anything too similar to what they plan on adding in DLC because they want to make money. And I think you also forget that a lot of the most popular mods tend to be those that hit performance. I scarcely know of any texture mods that don't up the resolutions of textures. Seeing as how the game already struggles to maintain 30 frames on consoles these mods must be off limits.

I also wonder about how total conversion mods or expansive quest mods would be possible. I can't imagine seeing the next Project Nevada on consoles.

So what are we left with?

Maybe some reskins that maintain the same poor texture quality. A few new weapon models and edits to some statistics. I can't imagine there being too many interesting mods that make it to console gamers. Yet knowing the average console gamer, they will both believe they are now on much more even footing to PC gamers in their access to mods and be completely overjoyed with Bethesda for gracing them with their generosity.

But they simply have to filter the mods they allow on console. They won't allow anything offensive because they still have a reputation to save. They won't allow anything too similar to what they plan on adding in DLC because they want to make money. And I think you also forget that a lot of the most popular mods tend to be those that hit performance.
Agreed, I also neglected NVSE for 4, which I doubt will be allowed. I get that console users might not be interested in UI that will require it, but many other mods will like Skyrim's Frostfall, What types of scripts will be allowed. if they only allow in box scripts they wil be lucky to have a custom voiced NPC, but no followers or quests as those require new TIF files as well as a new code for those quests. Most things related to dialogue in the CK are handled by quests. When I opened F4 up in Edit I did not see any dialogue branches, those where used with previous titles, In F4 it appears everything from basic hellos are handled by scenes. Scenes are great and have many advantages, but if modders are limited only to quest scenes, a lot of troubleshooting and workarounds will be impossible.

Back